The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 Images & Workflow Question

W

wbrandsma

I'd have to agree, even with the small amount that I've used the DP1 to date, the B&W conversions really stand out. As you say, there's a richness to them that pleases the eye.
I absolutely acknowledge that. For the short moment I tried the DP1 in July I loved the B&W photographs I made. But I really disliked SPP. Just used auto mode in SPP, saved as TIFF, and than used Lightroom instead.

simonclivehughes

Wouter,

Yes, I'm using a similar workflow with all of the conversions & manipulations being done in CS3. I'm still using Jeff Ascough's excellent \actions for my B&W conversions.

Cheers,

helenhill

Simon:
Fantastic Shots w/the DP!
The B&W is truly Superb

mind you the 'go-go' girls in Color are Fun too

Will:
What a COOOOL looking Opera House ....the dp1 rendered such Beautiful 'Texture' of the exterior, Love it

Brian:
Thanx for the turn on to Phil Douglas.....His work is Divine

Will

Thanks Helen, it really is an amazing building. The whole roof is covered in Italian marble and you can walk all over it. Not a safety sign anywhere, which is what I love about Norway not being part of the EU (long may that last!)

Really great B&W work simon and wouter!!!

The roof of the Opera House

Last edited:

Lili

OMIGOD, those shots on the Roof of the Opera....
Superb composition, exposure and crazy sharp!!!
Bravo!!!!

simonclivehughes

Here are a few from this morning's ramble.

View attachment 7759

View attachment 7760

View attachment 7761

These were all processed by ACR 4.6 & CS3 with no SPP finally. The only thing yet to be fixed is that I don't see the thumbnails in Bridge yet. It's curious because I was seeing them before ACR 4.6 with the use of X3F Utilities (for Mac), but now, even with reloading the X3F Utilities, I still don't see the thumbnails, just the X3F icons. I guess it'll all get worked out in time.

One observation with ACR 4.6 is that I need to add a bit of sharpening (about 50% USM) whereas coming from SPP, it was not necessary.

Cheers,

Last edited:
A

asabet

The workflow has changed for many people now that ACR/LR offers preliminary support for DP1 RAW files. For low ISO work, I may use ACR/LR. For high ISO, I don't like the DP1 results in ACR/LR and prefer instead to process using the monotone WB setting in SPP. I gave some examples of SPP vs ACR/LR for high ISO B&W here. The basic idea is that ACR/LR apples quite a bit of mandatory luminance NR to high ISO DP1 files, whereas SPP does not do so in the monotone WB setting.

simonclivehughes

Interesting results, Amin, I tend to agree with you for the high ISO B&W results. It will be interesting to see if things improve with ACR /LR as this type of feedback gets out on the web.

Thanks for your testing.

Cheers,

A

asabet

Thanks Simon. I'm hoping that Raw Developer will support the DP1. RD is an excellent tool for B&W conversions of Sigma SD14 files, regardless of ISO setting.