The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 Images & Workflow Question

simonclivehughes

Having just gotten a Sigma DP1, I'm busy experimenting with it to find the best ways to both use it and then to process the images. So far, I'm using it in both autofocus mode and manual focus/hyperfocal mode. Both seem to have their uses although with AF mode. I'm finding there is almost no half-push on the shutter release so I sometimes end up taking the picture before I realize it. MF seems like the best way to shoot with the minimal lag for more street shooting style. Although the camera write times are relatively slow, I find it works well for my type of shooting. The IQ is nothing less than spectacular for the size of the camera!

Processing is another kettle of fish! Frankly, the necessity of having to use Sigma Photo Pro (SPP) is a genuine PITA! Compared to CS3 or Aperture it's a primitive, slow piece of software, especially on a Mac. But, since it's the only game in town (at least for now) I am using it to do the initial tweaks on the files and then porting them to CS3 for final processing. In general, here's my workflow:

1. Open the RAW files in SPP and adjust exposure, contrast, shadow, highlight sliders in a general sense.
2. Possibly use the X3 Fill Light slider (depends on the image).
3. Save as a 16-bit tif file (native size).
4. Open in Camera RAW for final tweaks to exposure, blacks, clarity and sometimes vibrance.
5. Open in CS3 for final processing which may include conversion to B&W etc. All other manipulation such as dodging and burning etc is done here. I'm finding that I rarely do any sharpening of the files (which is a surprise).

My questions for those of you using the DP1 are:

1. Does your workflow differ significantly from mine, and if so, in what way?
2. If you were going to upsize the image, would you do this in SPP or in CS3?
3. Does anyone have any specific color corrections they apply in either SPP or CS3 (or equivalent program)?
4. Any other tips for using the DP1 would be gratefully appreciated.

Here are some images from this morning. I rode out to Stave Lake in the Fraser Valley of BC. All images were taken handheld at ISO 100.

View attachment 7363

View attachment 7364

View attachment 7365
My trusty steed! (Piaggio MP3)

View attachment 7366

View attachment 7367

Cheers,

Last edited:
W

weinglas

Hi Simon,

my workflow is a little bit easier. I go from SPP to TIFF. And then i import the TIFFs in Lightroom. That's it.

I hope that someday i can import DP1 Raws directly into lightroom.

Best regards,
Claus

simonclivehughes

Claus,

Thanks for your reply. Sounds like we're doing the same thing except you're using Lightroom and I'm using Photoshop. I do all of my image manipulation such as B&W conversion, dodging & burning, spotting, sharpening and any sizing within PS as I have actions for most of these tasks.

I'll second the desire to be able to import X3F files directly into ACR too!

Ciao,

Will

I get them as close to what I want as I can then export a jpg to CS3 for the fine tuning. Been using my GRD2 mostly of late though. Planning to just take the DP1 on my next trip to stop me being lazy.

Brian Mosley

Hi Simon, I do the same... exporting at native resolution using "colormatch rgb" colourspace to tiff, and do everything else using LightZone.

I'm not holding my breath for widespread 3rd party RAW support - DNG would be ideal for me.

Have you got the latest firmware installed?
http://www.sigma-dp1.com/software/index.html

Kind Regards

Brian

simonclivehughes

I get them as close to what I want as I can then export a jpg to CS3 for the fine tuning. Been using my GRD2 mostly of late though. Planning to just take the DP1 on my next trip to stop me being lazy.
Will,

A question: jpeg or tif? I guess I'd rather export the highest quality for further manipulation. Yeah the GRD2 is great, but since I got the DP1, the GRD2 and the GX100 have been sitting on the shelf. I just can't see passing up the larger sensor and as I mentioned in my original post, the DP1 suits me fine for my shooting style. I may even end up selling the GRD2. :)

Hi Simon, I do the same... exporting at native resolution using "colormatch rgb" colourspace to tiff, and do everything else using LightZone.

I'm not holding my breath for widespread 3rd party RAW support - DNG would be ideal for me.

Have you got the latest firmware installed?
http://www.sigma-dp1.com/software/index.html

Kind Regards

Brian
Brian,

I've been exporting in Adobe RGB space so far, any advantage to using the colormatch rgb space? DNG would suit me too although you can convert the tif to a (non-RAW) DNG in either ACR or Lightroom which has certain advantages. Here's a good thread on that:

http://www.adobeforums.com/webx/.59b59924

Firmware: If you mean 1.04, yes, that's the first thing I did out of the box.

BTW, I just got the Franiec grip for the DP1 and it makes a world of difference in holding the camera.

http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/SigmaDP1.html

I'm just awaiting my hood and then I've got to source a CPL and ND filters.

Cheers,

Lili

Will, that is gorgeous.
Whatever else can be said about the DP-1, the images have a unique look, a depth, that is awesome.

Will

Thanks Simon and Lilly. Sometimes I find the DP1 images very reminiscent of slide film, they have that rich coloured warmth and depth to them.
Sorry I took a while to respond but I've been in bed with the flu the past few days :(

Brian Mosley

I'm not a huge fan of DP1 colour, but I think it has massive potential for B&W photography - the dynamic range and sharpness make B&W conversions really rich in tonality, sharp and noise free.

I think the DP1 will be my camera of choice for B&W photography for the foreseeable future, a hell of a lot more compact than a D700 :)

Kind Regards

Brian

simonclivehughes

Brian,

I'd have to agree, even with the small amount that I've used the DP1 to date, the B&W conversions really stand out. As you say, there's a richness to them that pleases the eye.

Ciao,

Lili

Simon and Brian.
The work I have seen, esp in B&W from the DP-1 is superlative.
The speed is not so huge a concern to me.
Thinking of the DP-1 like I would folding medium format camera like an Ikonta or Perkeo.
Tiny, light, quiet and contemplative. Capable of superb IQ.
The GRD is more like a fast compact 35mm film camera; GR1, or even sorta like a hexar; tiny, fast, quiet and sharp
:)

andrewteee

Are there specific examples of Phil's images with the DP1? A quick browse could not find any.

I briefly had the DP1 and was impressed with the images, and became really impressed when I saw them in BW. I may go back to it again soon.