The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First Light field Camera announced

bradhusick

The first Lytro camera ($400) produces only "web" size images suitable for browsers and email only. If you play with the images on their site at full screen size you will see 1) there is no point that is ever truly sharp, and 2) the overall resolution is unsuitable for printing (800x600).

Neat idea. I will wait for the version that produces images I can print at larger than wallet size.

Terry

I understand wantin to focus later if you dramatically cut the lag time of the camera. What I don't really understand is givin the viewer (as in not me) the ability to refocus the image. What I want is to take the shot, make my own artistic vision of the shot and then "lock it down" if I post it on a blog or web page. I haven't figured that part out yet.

Also, there are some shots where you want more DOF and it isn't yet clear how to get the whole shot in focus.

If anyone has read about these two aspects of usability please post!

bradhusick

The Lytro website dismisses the notion of exporting an image. They wonder why anyone would "lock down" a "living image" produced by their camera.

They also say that getting the whole shot into focus will come at a later date.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>They also say that getting the whole shot into focus will come at a later date.

Then we wait :). Still the technology is interesting and hard to predict where it will go.

bensonga

I don't understand.....what's the advantage of this camera and technology (at this point of development)?

bradhusick

I was really intrigued by this concept - imagine a high resolution image that you could adjust the focus after the fact, perhaps in Lightroom, just by clicking, then output the image for screen or printing.

Until they come out with at least a 3000x2000 image I see little use for it. 800x600 is silly.

Adobe is demonstrating algorithms that will correct motion blur after the fact. Perhaps they or others are working on "focus bracketing". It might be cool if our cameras took 5-10 images in very rapid succession at different focus points, then allowed us to choose and combine in post, something like "HDR" for focus.

A

Allan Ostling

Until they come out with at least a 3000x2000 image I see little use for it. 800x600 is silly.
The resolution is full HD, 1080 vertical and perhaps 1920 horizontal from what I've read. The images are not for printing, they are for sharing and viewing on a monitor, where the focus point can be manipulated.

da_eltsch

Hi Uwe,

stop posting topics about new available technologies. :angry:

Just kidding! Very interesting concept if one follows up a little bit on wiki etc. it can easily be seen, that the lytro-solution is the first step into the consumer world. Other solutions have been made for the industrial world. On the German WIKI a test camera build by Adobe is mentioned. Based on the concept with a 100 mpix sensor and nine-teen micro-lenses they end up with "5mp-living-pics" this might explain why the Lytro-solution might be a first nice step.

So now I have to introduce this new concept to my "financial ministry" ...

Regards,
Helge

Good luck, they do not ship before 2012

bradhusick

FYI - Lytro shipped my canceled order anyway. It arrived today. I put it up for sale on ebay in a 1-day auction in case anybody needs one right away.