The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Gx100/Gx200

W

wbrandsma

That is honestly a tough question. I really like your first two B&W conversion. And the last one is good with the exception of the highlights. I normally don't use Photoshop for my conversion (I use Lightroom for most of my work), but in Photoshop I find the Gradient Map a great starter for converting my images. Sometimes I even use a second Gradient Map and then I apply a Brightness and contrast adjustment layer. In CS4 that works really well in my opinion.

W

wbrandsma

This photograph was converted in Photoshop with the Gradient Map.

If you want more help you can always mail or sent me a PM.

T

totallynatural

This photograph was converted in Photoshop with the Gradient Map.

If you want more help you can always mail or sent me a PM.
Hi Wouter, many thanks for the advice on conversion i will definitely give it a try.
I use Aperture 2 but use CS3 for b&w conversion. I will try the gradient map like you said. Many thanks again (btw really nice shot!, the speakers almost remind me of an axe). :thumbup:

Don...no problem I will email the raw to you shortly. I will be very interested to see what you do with it :) thanks!

UPDATE:
Wouter - I have very quickly tried the gradient map on a few pics...wow...works brilliantly delivering exactly what I was looking for!!! I will reload a few (not tonight my eyes feel crucified) if you don't mind with it used, the pics definitely look better. The final pic with the burnt out highlights looks especially good! I would never have considered that! (I do have a huge CS3 book but need to read it more!). Many thanks for your help.

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Hi Wouter, many thanks for the advice on conversion i will definitely give it a try.
I use Aperture 2 but use CS3 for b&w conversion. I will try the gradient map like you said. Many thanks again (btw really nice shot!, the speakers almost remind me of an axe). :thumbup:

Don...no problem I will email the raw to you shortly. I will be very interested to see what you do with it :) thanks!

UPDATE:
Wouter - I have very quickly tried the gradient map on a few pics...wow...works brilliantly delivering exactly what I was looking for!!! I will reload a few (not tonight my eyes feel crucified) if you don't mind with it used, the pics definitely look better. The final pic with the burnt out highlights looks especially good! I would never have considered that! (I do have a huge CS3 book but need to read it more!). Many thanks for your help.
You're welcome. And asking is much quicker then reading :D I look forward to your results.

pollobarca

Matthew - Nice pictures I like the first, 2nd to last and the last. The prince regent was
cetainly well stoned when he decided to have this place built. A real opium dream.
Look forward to seeing the results after Wouters advice,
all the best

paul

T

totallynatural

Hi,

Heres the pics after running the gradient map over them, very little else done to them. On the whole I would say it did a good job. The street pics especially as it deals with highlights nicely. The Tree pic I am 50/50 with, but the rest I definitely prefer, plus it means less time PP.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=113036&id=618390481&l=2988aa3c04

Don, I tried emailing you the raw pic but it was rejected. Possibly due to a too large file size. Do you know of any good compression tools I can use for photo's? (I use a mac).

I am going out with my D300 later, actually to a few pubs :) Should make for some interesting pics (although I will bring my camera back before I drink too much and replace it with my Fuji f50 (shooting at 3200 or 6400 no flash) - not going to risk the D300 late night in brighton pubs :) ).

pollobarca

Matthew,
to send large files I use yousendit , a free (pay if you want!) service which allows you to send a download link.

rgds

paul

T

totallynatural

Matthew,
to send large files I use yousendit , a free (pay if you want!) service which allows you to send a download link.

rgds

paul
Hi Paul,

Thanks for this. :)
I will try it once I have broadband back. I am visiting my parents in Norfolk for a week or two. They can only get very slow dial up :sleep006: (amazingly no broadband still!!) so I will not be uploading anything large for the time being.

I will get some rural shots whilst I am there (they have a small farm so plenty of opportunities).
Thanks again.

W

wbrandsma

It is great Matthew that you liked the Gradient Map conversion in Photoshop. Simple, yet very effective.

Here another from the GX200, though I have had hardly any time to photograph lately.

helenhill

A Brilliant Set....
the Noise adds a Charm to your Wife & Son's Relaxed Mood
2nd Shot is Beautiful for combining Textures, Tones & Window light
3rd is OUTSTANDING ...a Mysterious Collage of Portrait, Hand & Cityscape

sizifo

Wouter. I'm just waiting for the day when I'll be able to say : "that second one doesn't quite work for me". I really love the one with the wire, and the last one is also awesome.

W

wbrandsma

Wouter. I'm just waiting for the day when I'll be able to say : "that second one doesn't quite work for me". I really love the one with the wire, and the last one is also awesome.
Thank you Sizifo.

T

totallynatural

Hi all,

Don - you should hopefully receive the raw file today, with any luck :)

Got back from (amazingly) sunny Norfolk thought the wind coming off the North Sea was anything but warm :)

I took a few pics. Here are some below. Hope you enjoy them. Critique always welcome! :)

Wouter great new set of b&w's as usual! I have not tried converting these yet, but find that gradiant map works perfectly on pics I have tried (and I've set it up as an action now so saves a lot of time), many thanks again for that tip! (these are colour as my parents wanted to see them and my dad does not like b&w much...).

A tulip in the garden -

A Ewe having its feet clipped.

Wet leaves on garden plant

inside an old shed -

Sheep :)

reflection some water -

view across fields to church

Last edited: