The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

I have a lot to learn

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
These are with my little pentax waterproof P+S. I bought it for fishing trips (like this one). I find myself wishing for the M8, but realize the territory isn't really all that hospitable. Lots of wet and mud (the shot of the canoe is just to show how M8-unfriendly it can be, and it wasn't even raining!).

I'm having a real hard time getting used to looking at the screen instead of thru a viewfinder. Camera shake, menus, etc. make me realize how good most of you are who have mastered the art of the small sensor.

Lili

Tim,
Nice color and sharpness, you are doing fine.
Is that a rock breaking surface in the first one?

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks, Lili. Yes, that's a big boulder. Couldn't hold the highlight on it though. An example of me getting used to how the camera handles exposure. And jpegs. RAW would have allowed me to pull it down a bit more i think.

ecliffordsmith

Hi Tim,

Well, I think you have done well with the colours. The pictures have a nice crisp look to them and they are also sharp. Have you had to put the contrast much or is that the draw of the lens?

I have a GRD2 that I bought when my M8 had to go back to Solms and must admit it gets underused as the M8 is so portable. When I do use it I often find I clip highlights as I am so used to the additional dynamic range of the M8.

As you say though, these are wonderful for situations like yours. I watch the micro 4/3 evolution with great interest!

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks Ed. I didn't play with the contrast much, but did have to lower the brightness quite a bit. I need more experience with the metering since the little camera wants to expose everything more than I think is necessary. It could just be a matter of learning where to place the central metering hatch mark and then holding it for the final exposure.

The real strength of my particular little P&S is its ability to shoot underwater (down to 13 feet). Which I have yet to really capitalize on.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I, too, find my LX-2 and D-Lux-3 under used. I find the controls to be so difficult compared to using my M's. I did have a GX-100 and that interface was much better. I can't wait to see what comes out of the micro 4/3 camp. If I can bolt an M lens on it with an adapter, it will be a real winner for me, even though it will be bigger than the LX-2.

Nice shots Tim. I agree that it would not be wise to take your M8 in the canoe with you (I do know someone who does take his M8 in conoes. He has it in a waterproof Pelican.)

The P&S gets the shot!