The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sell Leica D-Lux 3?

writer

Hello everyone,

This is my first message on this forum.

I have owned a D-Lux 3 for several months, but am thinking of selling it and purchasing a Ricoh GRD II.

Can anyone here give me some feedback on whether this would be an upgrade, downgrade, or a lateral move only?

The Leica takes fine pictures, but for me it's just not a fun camera to use. It kind of reminds me of the many point and shoot cams I have owned in the past. I sense the GRD II has more of a minimalist feel to it and is more of a "tool" camera.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Frank

Maggie O

I'll give you the advice Sean gave me- get the GR-D II before you sell the Leica and try the two out side-by-side.

I'm of the opinion that it's more or less a lateral move, as both cameras have much to recommend them. I've had a blast using my D-Lux 3. I'm not sure if the GR-D II is any more or less "minimalist," aside from having a fixed lens.

Have you explored the D-Lux 3's manual options and RAW options? IMO, that's where this little Leica shines, along with its crazy-sharp lens.

helenhill

Well I just purchased the gr d 1
and am not that pleased with the results......... (a work in progress)
Having used a DLux 3 for the past nine months, I find the dlux colors to be more fine tuned and true (and not the Disney POP shades that come from most small sensor cameras)
whereas the gr tones are abit flat
I prefer very little post production / the Dlux 3 worked fantastic from that perspective.However the more I explore the GR 1 with fine tuning and fiddeling with the image the more I am coming under its spell. It certainly demands more WORK effort.
I do agree with Maggie / hold unto the D lux, purchase the GR2 and EXPLORE the possibilities then make your choice
Cheers! Helen

writer

I may just purchase the GRD II and make a decision. (I wish Best Buy/Circuit City had it.)I am curious to see which one feels more solid and which is better ergonomically for me.

I like the 16:9 of the Leica, but the 1:1 of the Ricoh sounds pretty cool. I have grown kind of tired of the constant removal of the lens cap. I can keep it in the brown case with no cap, but I'd rather not do that.

I usually do some PP (curves/unsharp mask) on my Leica shots. It will be interesting to see if my workflow process changes at all. I hate spending too much time in CS2.

Maggie O

If you're on a Mac, you might try iPhoto and/or Aperture, in conjunction with shooting RAW. The latest version is really stellar with my D-Lux 3 files. IMO, ACR doesn't seem to play well with the D-Lux 3.

FWIW, I'm lusting after the GR-D II, too.