The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon Power Shot G-10 Reflections

Lili

I just spent a warm and brilliant day shooting outside of my car
I know shock and amazement right?
;)
Anyway several thing impressed them selves on me.
1-I HAVE to have an eye level finder in bright Sun. It really doesn't matter if its an OVF or EVF.
Unlike shooting from a Car or in a Bar, the LCD thing simply doesn't work.
I knew this already which is why my CV 28mm brightline finder is always with me and now lives on my GRD.
Today was just extra bright and the Sun was low and LCD were Unuseable.
2-Shutter lag has to be as short as possible. My otherwise adimarable Samsung L85 has it bad, esp at longer EFL. Even with a half-press tolock prefocus. Slow enough that I have some unintentional shots of my toes! Slow enough that a Racing Shell moved out of frame before the shutter fired.
Great for stationary shots, not much else :(
My Fuji S6000 (32 RAW shots; trying to post process now) and my GRD (jpeg, 40 shots) worked a charm. Sadly, for the Rowboat shot the Fuji was in the trunk of my car :(
If the G-10 has terrible lag, it simply will not do.
(Simon, does the DP-1 have lag at all?Too tired and irritated to look it up :( )
If the G-10 has lag like that its a non-started, leaving only the Fuji S100fs, the K200d ( and trust to dust sealing and cleaning system to keep it at least manageable).
Just sayin'
:)

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

(Simon, does the DP-1 have lag at all?Too tired and irritated to look it up :( )
Lili,

It depends on how you use it. In normal AF mode, the AF is slow, but if you do the "half-press" method, then no lag, but most of the time I use the DP1 in MF mode, set for hyperfocal and using it this way, there's no lag at all.

Ciao,

Lili

Simo9n, thanks.
AF speed is important but I suspect I would be using DP-1 more in manual focus ;)
The lag from 1/2 to full press is the one that kills the Samsung.
The Ricoh and the S6000fd are VERY quick in that regard, and the reviews on the DP-1 show it to especially fast in that regard using manual focus.
Reviews of G-9 say its fast enough (except in manual focus, whats up with that?).
No telling about G-10.
I looked at the Mass and Size of the Fuji S100fs, way over my limit :(
Of the current fixed lens cameras that leaves the DP-1, LX-3, GX200 or the G-10.
Photokina started today!!!
:D

Lili

Circuit City is showing the G-10 to be in stock, should I wish, I could pick one up on my way home :)

S

SimonL

Take a wheelbarrow with you.

As far as compact cameras go, it isn't one

O

Oxide Blu

The two little critters laying around her are the GRDII and G9. I almost never reach for the G9 unless I am anticipating the need of a zooming lens.

The biggest drawback of the G9 is the grip, or lack there of. It just doesn't feel good in the hand. The camera is too heavy for the irrelevant grip it has. I would not buy the G10 unless/until Lensmate has a custom grip for it. With the grip you can shoot one-handed.

For the G9 I purchased the aftermarket custom grip and Lensmate adapter from here: http://www.lensmateonline.com/newsite/order_G7_1.html

The Lensmate adapter protects the lens when extended but the camera is nothing close to being compact with it on. And it allows the use of a pol filter. :thumbup:

Both the grip and the Lensmate adapter are extremely well made, quality product made of anodized aluminum, less expensive than the plastic Canon alternative. Together they make the G9 very comfortable to hold two-handed, if you choose.

I wish there was an aluminum Lensmate for the GRD. :(

Lili

Hi, I appreciate all the input. I am aware the G9 (having shot with one) and the G10 are "Tanks". I am hoping the slightly bigger grip is better than that on the G10, if not hopefully there will a grip for the G-10.
If I get one I plan on getting a Lensmate adapter as well :)

HiltonP

An observation . . . I have the G7, the grip, and the adaptor/filter.
They're all good, but they bulk up the camera, leaving me wanting something smaller again.

A

asabet

Overall, I'm hearing that the G10 is significantly larger than the G9. I'm with Lili though, in that it's probably still compact enough for me.

Lili

Amin, I have heard the same. I am waiting to hear relaible reports on IQ and speed of perfomance before deciding.
As for it being a Tank, in part that is what I am looking for.
Someplaces I shoot or want to shoot in having camera/club would be useful ;)

O

Oxide Blu

An observation . . . I have the G7, the grip, and the adaptor/filter.
They're all good, but they bulk up the camera, leaving me wanting something smaller again.
That is why I said I grad the GRDII unless I know I am going to need a zoom lens. The G9 is ok to lug around for a little while, but I have experienced the lighter, more compact cameras. Compact cameras are like air conditioning or sex; once you try it, you ain't going without it. :D

D

David Paul Carr

I've had a GRD, GRD 2, GX100, Canon G7 and two G9s (which I still own and use). A lot of cameras, but most have been used for work in one way or another. For me the bottom line is this:-
The GRDs were nice but the 28mm too limiting. The GX100 was great to use (especially the EVF) but lens quality at longer focal lengths and stopped down a bit left much to be desired (= soft). The DP1 has too low resolution, slow operation, colours that are all over the place even in good light and it's damn expensive.
Whatever their defects (sucking up dust for a start), the Canons have been far better picture-making tools. They are fragile - every one I have owned has gone for repair - the OVFs are rubbish, but they are extremely versatile and can be used with the Canon wireless flash system. When I want to travel light, I sometimes take my G9 as an emergency backup camera on jobs, along with my 5D. That I could never do with any of the others.
Plus the G9 makes wonderful videos.
The G10 won't be perfect and something better will be on its way in six or twelve or eighteen month's time but I'm willing to bet that for a while it will be the best all-round, sensible and useful, value-for-money picture taking deal out there.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The G10 is the same size as the G9 but about 1/4" taller...that's it...no noticable lag and it processes fast as the G9....here's a link to some photos with it....the lens is better than the 9 and as good if not better than the D-Lux 3....

I also posted a new thread...

shooter

Lili

Whatever their defects (sucking up dust for a start), the Canons have been far better picture-making tools. They are fragile - every one I have owned has gone for repair - the OVFs are rubbish, but they are extremely versatile and can be used with the Canon wireless flash system. When I want to travel light, I sometimes take my G9 as an emergency backup camera on jobs, along with my 5D. That I could never do with any of the others.
Plus the G9 makes wonderful videos.
The G10 won't be perfect and something better will be on its way in six or twelve or eighteen month's time but I'm willing to bet that for a while it will be the best all-round, sensible and useful, value-for-money picture taking deal out there.
David, I came to the same conclusion as you. However you do have experience with the G9 sucking up dust then? Was that what they were in for repair for?
I ask because of my disgust over dust issues with my K100D (and the bulk and weight of the whole kit) were one of the things leading me to look at the G10. The other being that I very much like the Small Sensor look; great DOF, etc.
While my Pentax was off being repaired the first time I got a Fuji S6000fd on close-out from Wolf camera (I'd gone in there to look at a G9, go figure) and after using it for a while concluded for most of my work, it sufficed nicely and rather wished I'd gone with it to start with!
I was looking at the G10 as a sturdier alternative, it covers the focal length ranges I use most, is far more compact than either the Pentax or the Fuji, and, if the G9 is anything to judge by, looked to built like a rock.

Last edited:
D

David Paul Carr

I suspect all compact digicams suck in dust when they have zoom lenses. Even DSLRs do. The difference is that, the smaller the sensor, the greater the impact of the same sized speck of dust. And DSLRs spend less time at the bottom of lint-filled pockets.
My Canons went back because of dust or lens assembly problems.
The only solution I have found (on Canons or Ricohs or Sigmas) is to put on a Lensmate and protective filter (or similar) from day 1 and gaffer tape any place where dust might enter. Not pretty, but effective.
A little perspective: these cameras have plenty of defects and, in my experience, aren't particularly well made or robust. I would never use one seriously without some sort of backup. I also believe that to get decent results you need better processing skills than if you use an entry level DSLR.
That said, I recently went to see an exhibition of medium format black and white photojournalistic work by a famous war photographer. I reckon I can get better, bigger, black and white prints out of my G9. You really need to remember what even an expensive scan from film looks like (and how difficult and time-consuming they are to make), to appreciate what excellent value for money a camera like the G9 represents.

Lili

I suspect all compact digicams suck in dust when they have zoom lenses. Even DSLRs do. The difference is that, the smaller the sensor, the greater the impact of the same sized speck of dust. And DSLRs spend less time at the bottom of lint-filled pockets.

I do agree with you about the effects of dust on smaller sensors. As to Pockets and lint, I carry my GRD and/or L85 in lowepro case in a thoughroughly cleaned zipper pocket in a Purse, not in a pocket. Besides for Gals, most of our pockets a decorative, not useful. My dust issues with the Pentax came while changing lenses too near trees that were emitting sap droplets, these flew to the sensor desptie the short exposure time and the camera being held face down :( SO FAR I've had no dust issues with either the Samsung or the Ricoh. The Fuji, which has a fixed lens with a manual zoom ring, it lives in a little Tamrac messenger bag and, knock wood, as been Dust Free and Sober through almost 3000 shots ;)

My Canons went back because of dust or lens assembly problems.
The only solution I have found (on Canons or Ricohs or Sigmas) is to put on a Lensmate and protective filter (or similar) from day 1 and gaffer tape any place where dust might enter. Not pretty, but effective.
A little perspective: these cameras have plenty of defects and, in my experience, aren't particularly well made or robust. I would never use one seriously without some sort of backup. I also believe that to get decent results you need better processing skills than if you use an entry level DSLR.

I can see where you are coming from on this, I really like the IQ one can get from a DSLR, I have Debated getting the dust/weather sealed Pentax K200d (which also has a dust removal system). However, even before the "Dust Blues" hit, I had to really force myself to take the Pentax with me. It is bulky and draws much attention. The smaller cameras do not attract the eye so much nor do they screem "please rob and steal" or "Hai, I is Pro and must be harrassed to for taking fotos here, kthxbai" so loudly. Well, mostly, the Fuji can attract such attention with its "DSLR" look. Hence my primary usage of the GRD and, lately, the Samsung. In the former case especially, while the overall IQ may not be DSLR level, the look and qualities are unique and I enjoy them. Even more so, the fact that it takes very little space and weight, it has the virute of always being at hand. And even the mediocre (which the GRD most assuredly is not) camera in Hand ALWAYS beats the Excellent Camera you had to leave at home when a good shot presents itself

That said, I recently went to see an exhibition of medium format black and white photojournalistic work by a famous war photographer. I reckon I can get better, bigger, black and white prints out of my G9. You really need to remember what even an expensive scan from film looks like (and how difficult and time-consuming they are to make), to appreciate what excellent value for money a camera like the G9 represents.

Oops, missed this part. Indeed, I am VERY aware of issues in scanning film, thats why I use my GRD now instead of my otherwise-much-beloved Hexar AF. And am looking so hard at the more versatile G9/G-10 ;) Or even the intriguing Little Oly E420

GRD; jpeg straight from camera, no post processing

Last edited:

simonclivehughes

Well, after phoning many stores today I found probably the last G9 in Western Canada. I snapped it up as I had started to have second thoughts about the G10 I had on order... not enough upper zoom range and too many megapixels. So, at this point I have:

1. LX3 (24 to 60mm)
2. Sigma DP1 (28mm)
3. G9 (35 to 210mm)

I also have a GRD II and a GX100 that I'm going to have to find homes for, as well as an old D-LUX 2 and a TZ3!

From just playing around with the G9 so far, I'm impressed. I've already ordered Richard Franiec's grip and thumb rest as well as the Lensmate for the G9 and some extra batteries (from BatteryBarn).

I'm looking forward to giving the G9 a thorough testing and will report back with pictures.

Cheers,