The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Ricoh "40 mm" Adapter

Lili

My initial impressions of the GT-1.
Huge. MUCH bigger (and heavier) than the GW-1. Enough so that I am very conscious of the chance of damaging the composite-material HA-1 hood adapter it is mounted on.
It is right at the edge of being too much for the poor thing.
Carrying the combination of GW-1, GT-1, and the HA-1 has demonstrated they take up as much or more space than a GX-100 would.
And weigh more too.
I have shot with it, but nothing yet I care to post.
Will try that tonight.
So far tho, the images are sharper than I expected, the contrast is high as well.
Totally in keeping with Sean's review.
My initial feeling is that if one simply had to have this range of focal lengths available all the time then you'd be far better served by getting a GX-100.
The GRD's raison d'etre is superb quality in a tiny, light and fast machine, designed around a wonderful prime lens.
The supplemental lenses do not make it a DSLR kit replacement.
Nor should they.
In particular the GW-1/HA-1 combination is light and easy to carry with one.
And very useful as well for those occasions when you need to take in a bit more scene.
THe GT-1/HA-1 are less convenient to carry.
I cannot yet say if I will find carry the latter combination with my GRD is going to be as useful to me as the former.
But to carry both really defeats the purpose of using a GRD.

Last edited:
S

Sean_Reid

But to carry both really defeats the purpose of using a GRD.
As you know, that's kind of been my feeling. Once the GR II stops being a pocket camera, it loses a lot of its appeal for me. So, while the GT-1 works very well, the combination of GR2 and GT-1 is not something I personally would use much. At that size, I'd rather just carry an R-D1 or M8.

Cheers,

Sean

Lili

As you know, that's kind of been my feeling. Once the GR II stops being a pocket camera, it loses a lot of its appeal for me. So, while the GT-1 works very well, the combination of GR2 and GT-1 is not something I personally would use much. At that size, I'd rather just carry an R-D1 or M8.

Cheers,

Sean
I quite agree Sean.
It is a bit different with the GRD and GW-1, the 21mm lens is much smaller and lighter than the GT-1.
Despite the combination being a bit bulkier than the GX-100 the image quality (sharpness, contrast and lack of barrell distortion) more than make up for it IMHO.
I've not really used the GT-1 enough yet to really form a valid conclusion.
I have it with me today and plan to give it a fair trial though.

Robert Campbell

My initial impressions of the GT-1.
Huge. MUCH bigger (and heavier) than the GW-1. Enough so that I am very conscious of the chance of damaging the composite-material HA-1 hood adapter it is mounted on.
It is right at the edge of being too much for the poor thing.
Carrying the combination of GW-1, GT-1, and the HA-1 has demonstrated they take up as much or more space than a GX-100 would. QUOTE]

Thanks for the info, Lili: I think I will pass on this.

Bertie

Lili

Thanks for the info, Lili: I think I will pass on this.

Bertie
Bertie,
It is not a bad lens at all, i just do not wish to carry the GRD and both lenses :)
However I have been carrying the GT-1 and the GRD all this week and it is not so bad.
Oddly enough, perhaps because the EFL is closer to that of my Hexar AF I have been shooting more B&W with it.
I will try to post some tonight :)

A quick shot of the combo ;)

Last edited:

Lili

Dusty Bunny in Monochrome with GRD/GT-1

1/52 F2.8 iso 64 -7/10ev

I am pleased with the contrast of this image. Where it is sharp, it is very sharp. I think it wll make a nice informal portrait lens.

cam

and where was i during Goth??? oh, yeah, rock climbing.... i'm so jealous now that you gals have such colourful pasts whilst i was busy being smelly in the desert with boys. sheesh! Goth completely passed me by...

Maggie O

Cam, before I was goth-y, I was bicycle racer and worked in a bike and rock climbing shop.

Whoa, we're waaaay OT.

Lili

Just got the new GH-1 adapter, the GT-1 is far more stable on it.
No play whatsoever.
I think the old one, being bought used, is damaged.
Feeling much better about the GT-1 now.
Shooting with it exclusively today and Sunday :)
Made with new adapter, trying for simialr composition to the 28mm color one, using 40mm

1/143 sec F4 ISO 100 -0.7 ev

Last edited: