The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD4 Street Images

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
thorkil.... no copping out around here. Get your camera and I'll give you my settings. They are GOLD I tell ya...GOLD! Then compare with the others and you'll find your way...but this in no way should be thought of as a release of duty for posting your photos.

Jack & Guy went to exhaustive distances to make the post procedures easy.
If your on Flickr, that also helps....
Don

Thorkil

thorkil.... no copping out around here. Get your camera and I'll give you my settings. They are GOLD I tell ya...GOLD! Then compare with the others and you'll find your way...but this in no way should be thought of as a release of duty for posting your photos.

Jack & Guy went to exhaustive distances to make the post procedures easy.
If your on Flickr, that also helps....
Don
okay, we will see what happen :eek:, thought of, yesterday, going through Copenhagens old café's and bars, with that camera in hand. But have, at first to look down (long-stance) in my purse to see what happens down there, have been long ago I had gone with such a purpose, in fact encouraging, but no promises of nothing, but let the circumstances rule, no not on flikr, tryed once to move the attached picture to the text, but didn't succeed, Steen tells its becomming way better by oploading full-sixe some place....afraid you might get boored
Thorkil

Thorkil

Hi Don,
I've just had that thought that I ought to report a bit. Not because I have to, I know, but anyway, just so....you know
I'm just being mighty impressed by those pictures from the Sigma DP2 Merrill, but I've to have a 28 or wider, so I'll wait for a DP1 Merrill.
And then I have (so far..) taken the decision that if they don't come out with a GRDV soon, I'll have to lay hand on a IV. I have to go simple now. So that one+the Sigma+my GXR will do.
And meanwhile I'll sell my D800E.
But what I also would like to say...KEEP posting a bit pictures, not much, just a bit. :)
Best
Thorkil

Thorkil

Hi Don
If you see this, then, I can see you a using the RX100.
Hard pressed, what would your choise be caompared to the GRDIV or coming V?
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Hi Don
If you see this, then, I can see you a using the RX100.
Hard pressed, what would your choise be caompared to the GRDIV or coming V?
Thorkil
That's a good question but I can answer it easily. For me, there is nothing that compares to the GRD4. I now have and am testing the RX100. It's great but it isn't the GRD in any stretch of the imagination. The GRD5 is still just a dream but hopefully not to the Ricoh engineers. I will get that camera on release and probably before.

I have the RX100 to be a sidekick for the GRD4, not to replace it. That would be an impossibility.

Thorkil

Thank you Don. I guess these words tells it. Allow me to make my own conclusion of your words: The RX might outresolve the GRD, the IQ in the RX might, in some dimensions be different and in some way clinic better, but in the area where you grab the camera by "lust" and feel "creative-dizzy" or what I should call it, the connection and the mood of what one feel to create, you will grab the GRD.
Best
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The way it always was and is for me is like this. I don't want decisions to have to be made when I'm working. I want any decisions to be in the frame and not on the camera. So, the GRD4, (current GRD in use) is set up and I just need to make the frame, raise the camera and let the finger do it's thing.

I think the RX100 has that potential. In fact, I'm getting ready for a few hours on the street this morning. If this camera makes it thru this Sunday, it'll have a home. The odds are that it will.

Thorkil

Don, just a tiny remark, while the third cup of coffee is passing by, and I'm trying to establish some working-energy, I would just like to say about this picture
09-12-0049-Edit.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
that this is a magic light, with some beautiful strangely-shiny and very special dreamy mood...
well, then back to more coffee and some work…
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Don, just a tiny remark, while the third cup of coffee is passing by, and I'm trying to establish some working-energy, I would just like to say about this picture
09-12-0049-Edit.jpg | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
that this is a magic light, with some beautiful strangely-shiny and very special dreamy mood...
well, then back to more coffee and some work…
Thorkil
Thorkil, thanks. That image is a recent one made so I could show how my presets work in different images.
If your running Silver Efex or LR 4 let me know. I'll be glad to send you a sample preset.
Don

Thorkil

Thorkil, thanks. That image is a recent one made so I could show how my presets work in different images.
If your running Silver Efex or LR 4 let me know. I'll be glad to send you a sample preset.
Don
Hi Don. Thank you. But I'm only using C1. I didn't manage to find out of Lightroom, believe it or not. I'm very unpaitient when it comes to computers etc. And C1 is so straight ahead, in my head :)
My plan is, when/if I succeed selling my 800E, to buy, at first the Sigma DP2Merril, and I might, just straight ahead buy the GRDIV, now where there wasn't a GRDV at photokina(had hoped).
Perhaps I should investigate more than that ½hour I spend with it, and gave up. But C1 is just so lovely plain and simple to find out, and this program is just so very good connected with my primitive brain.
Best Thorkil

Thorkil

Ah geeze Thorkil, your really helping the situation.
I'm in therapy with split camera personality disorder.
:)
Although the RX100 might seem more "clean", its also a bit(might even be slightly more than a bit) more boring to my eyes, the GRDIV let you put more energy (and anarchy) in the pictures, which seems to do them very well!
The cure could be waiting and saving for the upcoming V.
(and you are doing something special the edges/contrast that reminds my of the old wonderful "overshining light", burning out, from backlit in old lenses)
(Is the Ricoh GR DIGITAL V camera coming soon? | Photo Rumors)
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
:)
Although the RX100 might seem more "clean", its also a bit(might even be slightly more than a bit) more boring to my eyes, the GRDIV let you put more energy (and anarchy) in the pictures, which seems to do them very well!
The cure could be waiting and saving for the upcoming V.
(and you are doing something special the edges/contrast that reminds my of the old wonderful "overshining light", burning out, from backlit in old lenses)
(Is the Ricoh GR DIGITAL V camera coming soon? | Photo Rumors)
Thorkil
I much prefer the GRD4. The processing is from my Street Presets. It works the grit the way I use to get it with my M's in my darkroom..

I'm not sure about the GRD5. I'd be worrying about that larger sensor killing the mojo the GRD's all have. I think we're a little ways off before anything is announced on the 5 anyway so...not to worry...yet...
Don