The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GRD4 Street Images

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Hmmmmmm, Thorkil....I can only say....uh..welluh...uh..I'd like to see more photos from you.
I'm sure you can find your way.

I'm developing a problem with the GRD4. It's not a firmware fix either. See, I'll head out in the morning and walk maybe 5-6 miles making photos. I'll drink a nice cup of NON Starbucks coffee. Then my phone rings. It's my wife wondering when I'm coming home.

She doesn't really care about photography. She knows that when I do get home I will be in LR4 for a spell.

So ya see, the GRD4 likes me to stay busy and work on the street. My wife likes me home.
I may have to do a trade in because it's at the point that it's starting to interfere with my life style.

If ya know anyone looking for a Russian wife with the newest firmware, let me know....I'll be on the street with the GRD4....
don

Thorkil

I may have to do a trade in because it's at the point that it's starting to interfere with my life style.

If ya know anyone looking for a Russian wife with the newest firmware, let me know....I'll be on the street with the GRD4....
don
:D and good teeth too..????:)
Well, Don I guess it's finally a dilemma you both can't and woun't live without.
I have the same, I have to sneak out, claim that my feets are getting swollen if I don't get out at once. But you are lucky to get a call after 4 long hours!
Try to stay at home hanging out in the sofacorner all day long for 4 days, then you will see what she'll be longing for...
Thorkil

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
Hey Thorkil - those images certainly are different. Capa's D-Day landing pictures come to mind (without the carnage)

I'm going to try it myself - good way to do it in the Canadian sloppy winter.

Keith

Thorkil

Hi Keith
It was some sort of that kind of pictures I had in mind.
I've had, for a very a long time, had in mind a sort of dream of something unsharp dreaminess, something where things were timeless floating, or something like that. And given that I'm certainly not am good with computerprograms, manuals and other (booring) stuff like that, or rather my brain is sort sort of melting down, I was surprised how easy thing was happening in that direction with that little camera (actually nearby shocked in fact), I just tried at the first pictures some setting while walking in the wood, and light was beginning to get dark. But it has to be dark, to get some sort of burned out. It feels like driven the sensor out at its complete edge, or rather over the edge, and those tones and grainy look comes for free. But you have to shoot Jpeg and in high-contrast mode, and then it comes right out in your hands.
Thorkil

Last edited:

Thorkil

promise to find a train for the central main station of Copenhagen soon

Thorkil

(straight out of camera both)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Good definition of street.....

If you step outside of your house, apt etc.... It's street...

If you stay inside...it's street.

Street is life, nothing more...nothing less.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Thorkil,

Looks to me like you are doing the stills for the latest series of Forbrydelsen:D

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Thorkil

Thorkil,

Looks to me like you are doing the stills for the latest series of Forbrydelsen:D

Cheers,

Gandolfi.
:)
Yes, I would have liked to, while Sarah just is so cute and nice, allthough way too criminal-oriented. But I've heard that you english got a instruction video over there on how to be best prepared to Forbrydelsen ("The Crime" I guess), wearing danish sweaters, drinking Tuborg Christmas beer, and some simple danish words too including swearing. So very soon we can all do this here in danish (then I could really speed up in my writing)
Thorkil
(and thanks Don!)

Last edited:

Thorkil

Speaking of danish films, then A Royal Affair, in real life, started here on this bridge in 1770. You all have to see it! (me too)
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Thorkil, this may seem odd but trust me, it's not. This series you have going on reminds me a lot of Harry Callahan's work. Not the Clint guy but the real Callahan. Him and a shooter named Aaron Siskind did similar work like this.. high contrast...snow etc.
Just an observation......
don

Thorkil

Thank you very much Don(!!), it’s very much appreciated, sometimes you just need that kind of words to prevent stopping, (even though, after googling (didn’t know them at all) Harry Callahan’s and Aaron Siskind’s works, its rather unfair to these two skilled gentleman’s(!)).
For me it’s a sort of highly humorfilled occupation to stay in jpeg and pressing buttoms on that little camera on location, until the result in hasty glimpse looks, looks sort of okay, and then the tiny quit click, instead of pushing sliders in programs in endless sessions at home and all the other things those programs are able to do(and which I havn’t found out about yet, and perhaps never will, even in C1). It’s the combination of well thought out bottoms and very well-thought out menu’s that seems to make things almost as primitive as the M6, and therefore, in my head, a really possibility to use (but it obviously can do even more than the M6). And so it’s sort of, functioning, and feels like, for the first time in decades, that I’m able to get a camera to do almost what I want/dream about. So it’s like taking control (in the friendly manner) instead of being controlled (and therefore mentally and physically restricted).
In my head this is very very important. A simple (but also immense, in the quit way) sort of freedom falling right down in your hands (and feels almost for free too, to pick up).
Another thing is the shear size, I felt I had a lot of things I should live up to, with the D800E(but it failed or I failed). Now it’s quit opposite. Now it’s under-ambitious, a sort of no-nothing, so a sort of nothing can go wrong. One look like an idiotic tourist with underrated gear(and no burdens in your head, perhaps like a silly boy that has grown up), so the worst thing that can happen, is that you come home with silly tourist pictures. And that’s a relief. A relief to let the heavy ambitions fly away. Bye, bye. You start at ground zero, and from that point things can only move forward, and perhaps you will be lucky, perhaps not, and so what, if not, you can pull your shoulders, just saying….nothing (and, as things seems to be organized between my ears, this means a lot, it means almost everything).
By the way, have to disappoint you, its not snow, just normal autum-leaves, but, you know, I had to burn them out too. But it was in full afternoon-light yesterday, therefore no high iso, no ultra-slow speed, no grainy, dizzy, sleepy, floating look that you get in the twilight. Hope it(/I) will be able to do normal pictures in Copenhagen(don’t expect anything, Don!!).
By the way Don, if a GRD V will be able to run up to 6400 iso or even more, then one cannot do those sleepy pictures from the see, anymore, because then you can’t find the edge of the sensor, because it’s at the edge where the sensor is about stopping catching any more, that those things seems to be happening. So in that way the 4’one is a gift.
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Forget the GRD5. It doesn't exist and if it does, it's not time yet.
The GRD4 does more then most shooters will ever need. It allows for intent without intrusion on the process. It is not a P&S but a serious camera that lets you set up and use it as easy as a P&S. The M9 is more a P&S, right. Set iso 400....set 1/125 f11...point and shoot...
Don't believe it.....

If you had LR4 I would send you some mojo presets that would rock the world of anyone viewing your work.
Don

Thorkil

just before bed-time in Denmark. No I do not have Lightroom, Don, and somehow I dare not try to find out about it, yet. Or to be frank, I downloaded a trial some time ago, I tried for half an hour or a bit more to see if I could find out (I know it sounds idiotic, but I was also one of the last one who skipped WordPerfect). But I could find out of almost anything. C1 seems primitive and straight ahead If you havn't got to many ambitions. I can do nothing of that sort of things Guy and Jack do.
I thank you for your offer Don, but perhaps later on, I'm not able right now.
And I'm also caught of that silly idea to try to do almost no pp. and just prepar the camera before shooting. And I guess you are right, its sort of complicated in a very uncomplicated way, and you dont feel at all its complicated.
I must try, have to, to do Copenhagen at first with just camera settings and perhaps just some primitive adjusting in C1 (just to feel confident), while its another situation, while you have to shoot instantly. But I will try if I can get anything well out of it.
Later on I might get the mental ressource together to learn a little about Lightroom....
Best
Thorkil
(the bridge was also with absolutely no pp., it seems to say a lot of the capacity of our little camera, I think)
(so I hope its okay to keep your offer for a while
(pps. sleep well to the Russian&Philadelphians)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
These look very interesting. You'll keep more friends around here if ya don't advertise handheld @ 1sec.... That's illegal shooting procedures for the elders like meself....