The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

You Might Enjoy This: G10 vs. P45+

A

asabet

Whether it's Ken Rockwell or Michael Reichmann, I really do enjoy those kinds of seemingly absurd comparisons. He's going to sell a lot of G10s for Canon today :).

Brian Mosley

I really enjoy Michael's site - and especially the way he writes from his own experience based perspective.

A good article to get people thinking long and hard about chasing the big formats for image quality... is it really that smart an investment?

Kind Regards

Brian

jonoslack

I really enjoy Michael's site - and especially the way he writes from his own experience based perspective.

A good article to get people thinking long and hard about chasing the big formats for image quality... is it really that smart an investment?

Kind Regards

Brian
Hi Brian
Depends what you want - As he points out, this is 100 ISO in the woods, and on an A3+ sized print.

Still, it's all interesting stuff.

charlesphoto

Just goes to show it doesn't matter how much one spends - a mediocre photo is a mediocre photo.

It's also one of the reasons I haven't been tempted to drink the MF digital koolaid. I still feel I get much superior results with MF film and my Imacon scanner. That $40K will get you a heck of a lot of film and processing. And the results will be more unique and stylistic (imo) due to the truly large "sensor" of full frame 66 or 67. On the other hand, 35mm (color at least) is truly the domain of digital now (though at times I look back at some of my rich color neg work and go "hmmmmm....").

A

asabet

Michael has a tendency to get very excited with the latest technology on his desk. Many of us have such a tendency, but he's got it bad :).

Originally written by Michael Reichmann
Each new generation of cameras though gets better than the last, and with the Canon G10 that company appears to have taken a significant step forward from its predecessor the G9, and for that matter in my experience to any other comparable camera on the market. The sensor and lens used in the G10 offer a marked improvement over anything comparable that's come before, and it shows.
I'm pretty certain that if one made 13x19" prints from ISO 100 G9 and G10 files, no one would be able to tell the difference. You could no doubt toss a Nikon P6000 in there for good measure. In fact, in the recent samples on PhotographyBLOG, the P6000 samples show better corner to corner performance than the G10 samples taken in matched circumstances. I was surprised and impressed by the P6000 samples, including the RAW files for download. Too bad that camera has such a slow lens at the tele end.

Last edited:

Dale Allyn

I liked the article for a couple of reasons: one being that it was thought provoking if nothing else. I also felt that the attendant caveats were reasonable.

Friends of mine are searching for the perfect, affordable, companion camera to their DSLR kits and the G10 was high on their lists. That is until the higher ISO files were studied – which is what kept them away from the G7 and G9. On this front there seems to be no perfect contender, but in many ways I'm liking what I'm seeing from Amin's D-Lux4/LX-3. But at low ISOs and as a daylight camera it seems that the G10 is worthy of a look.

I am one who did drink the MFDB Koolaid. I didn't go with a $40K kit, but I did find a fantastic value in a privately owned, but unused PhaseOne P25+ and I have to say that it makes wonderful images when I hold up my end of the bargain. But with that said, my use of it is for larger prints and this kit is soooooo much better than my 5D kit for large prints... in most cases. Still, I'm currently in Thailand and I have a 5D and various lenses with me, not the Mamiya/P25+. And as I've watched Amin's thread on his new compact camera, more than once I've had the urge to order the LX-3 for what looks like a really fun camera to have in one's pocket.

Cheers,

Dale

Last edited:

Joan

Well, I just got my new G10 and it does help me feel better about my purchase! :ROTFL:

Will share my results once it stops raining and I can get outside with it.

Tim

I believe that we can all eek a lot more IQ from the gear we have with a better technique. I reckon the IQ in digital images suffers more if you don't use a tripod - I have no real proof of this but they certainly look better with good stabilization.

For most of us, we can't afford MF digital so its a case of making the best of what we can buy and live with the prints. I know I am happy enough but always look forward to any improvement.

Dale Allyn

I believe that we can all eek a lot more IQ from the gear we have with a better technique. I reckon the IQ in digital images suffers more if you don't use a tripod - I have no real proof of this but they certainly look better with good stabilization.
I completely agree. Technique is more important than a credit card with a high limit or deep pockets. Using a tripod whenever possible or appropriate, or just a leaning on a support, etc. to stabilize the process will do a lot for improving images – especially if one is printing them (and wants sharpness and maximum detail in the final image). So much great photography can be done irrespective of the camera or format chosen.

Brian Mosley

Absolutely agree with you Tim and Dale - the best way to get a dramatic improvement in image quality is to get out and practice + learn good photography technique...

Techy gadgets are fun though ;)

p.s. the only real problem I had with Michael's review was that I could tell the difference between the two cameras based on his web image - and his whole starting premise was that his expert friends couldn't tell the difference close up to a large print?

Kind Regards

Brian

Jonathon Delacour

Subscriber Member
[Michael Reichman wrote:]
Each new generation of cameras though gets better than the last, and with the Canon G10 that company appears to have taken a significant step forward from its predecessor the G9, and for that matter in my experience to any other comparable camera on the market. The sensor and lens used in the G10 offer a marked improvement over anything comparable that's come before, and it shows.
Michael has a tendency to get very excited with the latest technology on his desk. Many of us have such a tendency, but he's got it bad :).
Thirty years ago, every month I would read Modern Photography, Popular Photography, and Camera 35 from cover to cover. I've forgotten pretty much everything I read in those magazines apart from two Bill Pierce articles:
* one about how to choose a set of lenses for 35mm photography (24mm, 35mm, 55mm, 85mm, 135mm - based on on ordered increase in the horizontal angle of view);
* the other which quoted the New York photographer Ed Feingersh, who had said "The cameras get better and better but the pictures stay just the same."

Two things amaze me: firstly, that I've never forgotten this aphorism; and secondly, that (to my detriment) I continue to ignore its essential truth.

We don't need the latest and greatest anything. As Tim and Dale have said, we simply need to learn how to improve our craft so that we can extract more (meaning and emotion) from the equipment we already have.