The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A few snaps with my new G10

Joan

Finally the rain stopped and I was able to get out with the G10. I have to say, I'm really loving this camera! I took about 100 shots but have only processed a few so far.

Tallahassee "Downtown Market" is home to produce vendors as well as arts and crafts people selling their wares. Only open on Saturdays.

View attachment 8584

View attachment 8585

View attachment 8586

Around the block from the market are buildings in a mix of different architectural styles, some are mundane, and a few are rather interesting. The 28mm end of the G10's zoom was handy.

View attachment 8587

View attachment 8588

These were all shot in RAW, and converted in DPP. Colors seem spot on right out of the camera, only adjustments I made were a little curves/contrast and some sharpening on the downsized images. Very pleased with the IQ, caveat - I haven't done anything with high ISO's yet.

Thanks for taking a look :)

Joan

Thanks, Helen! :)
Tried to upload a few more, but I keep getting an error message, something about security. :confused:

Joan

Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error.
OK, maybe if I try one at a time? :rolleyes:

View attachment 8592

Joan

Dale and Terry, thank you, it is a FUN camera to use. Processing with DPP is a pain, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before updates will come along for LightZone and Aperture. Then I will really go to town! ;-)

This little boy was having a ball playing hide and seek with his mom, but I couldn't get him to look my way:

Last edited:

Arne Hvaring

Hi Joan,
image quality looks very nice. At the moment I'm testing the G-10 and the Nikon P-6000, but my DDP (3.4.1.1) refuses to open G-10 RAW files. (the P-6000 is supported in ACR, but alas not the G-10 yet). Which version of the DPP are you using?

Joan

Hi Arne, I am using DPP 3.5 which came with the camera. AFAIK, the only other RAW converter that currently opens the G10's files is Raw Photo Processor for Mac. It's freeware, so I downloaded and gave it a try, but it doesn't seem quite right, colors are WAY off.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Joan looking really nice. Joan I would love to try and open a raw in C1 Pro and see if it works. If you would like here is what to do . Go to www.yousendit.com than send a raw file to yourself. Than just post a link here to the download. Thanks

mwalker

Subscriber Member
It looks good Joan..How is the size? Is it pocketable?....I would like to see a comparison between this camera and a DP1..

Joan

Thanks, Amin. I have to get the hang of processing these huge files, but at least as an outdoor camera, I think the G10 has a lot of promise. jpegs are pretty "smudgy" in the shadows, but raw looks MUCH better.

Joan looking really nice. Joan I would love to try and open a raw in C1 Pro and see if it works. If you would like here is what to do . Go to www.yousendit.com than send a raw file to yourself. Than just post a link here to the download. Thanks
OK, Guy, I'll give it a try, but don't be surprised if it doesn't open. Canon changed the raw format for the G10 for some inexplicable reason and people are griping about the lack of support so far.

Here's the downsized version of the file I'll put up there:

View attachment 8619

Last edited:

Joan

It looks good Joan..How is the size? Is it pocketable?....I would like to see a comparison between this camera and a DP1..
Hi Mike, it's jacket or cargo pants pocketable, but not "regular" pocketable. I think it's quite a bit larger than the DP1.

Here's the link to the raw file:

http://www.yousendit.com/download/Y2o4blR0UnFQb0pFQlE9PQ

IMO, the best way to enjoy the G10 is to view the files at 50% size, not 100%, then any imperfections magically disappear. :D I'm going to try shooting some jpegs at reduced resolution equal to about 9Mp and see how they look.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Downloading now. In C1 just checked it does not show the G10 profile , the G9 is there . Let's see if i can open it

Joan

Yep, that's what I figured. LightZone opens the files but they look like negative version, really WILD!

OK, I must be stupid ... I can't seem to get proper 100% crops out of DPP. I thought I should output at 72dpi, but that doesn't seem to give me the right size to view on the web at 100%. What am I doing wrong?