The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G10 B&W Conversion - C&C?

Joan

Hi all,

This is my first honest attempt at trying some black and white conversions, so I would be very grateful if anyone has the time to give me a little critique on this one. It seems a bit blah to me, not quite sure how to give it some spark without overdoing it.

Lili

Hi all,

This is my first honest attempt at trying some black and white conversions, so I would be very grateful if anyone has the time to give me a little critique on this one. It seems a bit blah to me, not quite sure how to give it some spark without overdoing it.

I don't the image Joan :(

Joan

Yep raw in DPP. I experimented with adjusting each channel until I sort of liked it, probably without rhyme or reason, lol.

I guess next I'll try converting to tiff and play around in LightZone with the presets.

Brian Mosley

Joan, that looks pretty good...

I have an approach which seems to work well with lightzone.

1. Add a zonemapper applied as soft light
2. Add a Relight tool, shadow slider over towards the right, highlight slider all the way to the left.
3. Add a B&W tool, select the colour wheel to give you subject isolation.

Here's an example...

Before :

After :

Just offering some ideas... hope it helps.

Kind Regards

Brian

Joan

Thanks, Streetshooter. No, I don't have Light Room. Did the free trial but didn't quite get the hang of it, will have to give it a go again sometime.

Brian, thanks a bunch for sharing your method for LightZone. I will give that a try!

Joan

Shooter, thanks so much for that link! Looks like a goldmine of info. and I'd never heard of it before. Now have it bookmarked and will start reading.

THANKS!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well after the crop..it's lost it's dimension....
see the wings....see the V shape in the stems before crop......

that makes the image work........now it looks cluttered......try to see what I'm talking about....it's about the EYE TRAVEL... don

jonoslack

Hi Joan
I agree with Don, but I'd put it a different way.
The actual conversion is fine - great tonality . . . . but!
1. there is a wonderful depth in the portrait orientation of the original, which is lost in busyness with the crop
2. the colour in the original is splendid . . . why lose it!

i.e. what a great shot!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Joan,
I agree that you have nice tonality, but the b/w does not isolate the subject and draw the eye in like the colored shot does. The flowers are a distraction from the repeating V theme of the original.

Joan

:eek: Yep, I'm a dunce ... I lost the forest for the trees. I was concentrating so hard on the conversion process and the tones that I failed to realize what I'd done to the composition. Seeing patterns and shapes is usually something I'm fairly good at, but I completely agree that I blew it in a big way here.

Oh, well, that's why I come here to learn! :D

Thanks all, I'll keep working at it!

jonoslack

Don't beat yourself up
We're all saying what a fine picture the original is!
and there isn't anything wrong with the conversion . . . apart from whether it's necessary.

Joan

Thanks, Jono! No, I'm not beating myself up, I am grateful to get honest critiques because there are so many elements to making a good image, and they all have to work together. I liked the original, but didn't analyze why it worked and now I see what you all saw, so very helpful to get the feedback. :salute: You guys are GREAT!!

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
One of the best features of Digital Cameras is...

The LCD screen...and to make it B&W. Looking at the screen is seeing the print in front of you...it has abstracted a 3 dimensional reality to a 2 dimensional reality and further abstracts the new reality by making the image B&W. It's even better than my 8x10 Deardorff because of the B&W screen....sooooooo.....

use it.......your eyes are on but your getting lost in...Process......
shooter

Joan

One of the best features of Digital Cameras is...

The LCD screen...and to make it B&W. Looking at the screen is seeing the print in front of you...it has abstracted a 3 dimensional reality to a 2 dimensional reality and further abstracts the new reality by making the image B&W. It's even better than my 8x10 Deardorff because of the B&W screen....sooooooo.....

use it.......your eyes are on but your getting lost in...Process......
shooter
Point taken! :) Onward and upward!

O

Oxide Blu

I was concentrating so hard on the conversion process and the tones that I failed to realize what I'd done to the composition.
It is actually a pretty good image for experimenting with.

If you have the time, and are so inclined, you might want to download Silver Efex Pro (CS/PS Elements plugin) from NIK Software, 15-day free trial, and play with it. I grabbed the color original you posted here, and tossed it into SEP to compare how it would handle the b&w conversion compared to the sample conversion you posted.

Anyways, the 15-day trial period is for fully enabled product. Caution: if you are interested in monochrome you can get hooked on it.

http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro/usa/entry.php