The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Digilux 2 - Poor Image Quality

rcerick

I just purchased a Digilux 2 and am absolutely confounded and very disappointed by its manual focusing (or lack thereof) and terribly low ISO capabilities and thus extremely slow shutter speeds, resulting in completely blurred images in MF and AF in seemingly more than adequate light.
In manual focus mode, it is impossible to attain a sharp focused image, whether with or without MF assist. There is no focus adjustment visible at all while moving the focus ring, whether in full manual mode or in MF1 or MF 2 assist modes.
In auto focus and auto macro focus mode, it is almost equally disappointing, with blurred images and very slow shutter speeds (the latter likely causing the former).
In addition, shooting RAW results in interminable wait times to write each file. Finally, I receive an error message after inserting a 16GB Sandisk Ultra card. The 64MB (yes, megabyte) card that came with it from the factory writes only 5 or 6 RAW files before it is filled. Kind of an amazing reminder of technology's light speed march.
I have set maximum ISO at 100 because of anecdotal information / articles read concerning poor IQ above that. If this is the root of the problem, it seems to me to render the camera virtually unusable.
Am I missing something here or is my copy in need of factory attention? The sensor was just replaced last month by Leica Allendale and the camera "updated" and "checked for good working order" (per the invoice).
Many thanks,
Rich

Terry

Rich,
It really is a camera that needs to be used at low ISO.
RAW write times are indeed very long.
I used the camera in jpeg mode with AF and had really beautiful results.
I believe you can use a 1 or 2GB card but not the newest SDHC etc. these cards came out well after the camera. I may have an old but usable card around that I can send you.

Try and use the AF for a bit before trying to MF.

There are some very long and detailed threads over at the Leica forum with some very dedicated Digilux2 users that can also help.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I had one of these and two of the Panasonic equivalents (LC1). Both are great cameras and I made some of my most-treasured images with them.

Use low ISO, and wait for the AF to lock; MF has never been useable. If you are patient, the lens/sensor combination can make really lovely images. It is not a 2012-era camera.