The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

jonoslack

So people would actually pick a RX100 over an X2? The IQ is that similar?
I'm confused...
Hmmm. I don't think the IQ is very similar, but the RX does a very respectable job in the X2 territory (35mm equivalent, f2.8). The difference is that the RX has it's own territory (28-34 and 36-100 for example).

There are certainly circumstances when I'd pick an RX100 over an X2, and there are also other circumstances where I'd pick the X2

Godfrey

So people would actually pick a RX100 over an X2? The IQ is that similar?
I'm confused...
I don't know whether it is or not, I doubt it is. However, I am delighted with the X2 and the RX100 doesn't do much for me, simply on the basis of its size and control layout. There's also the fact that I am no big fan of slow zoom lenses.

monza

For me the RX100 is an iPhone camera replacement. Far higher quality, features I've needed that the phone doesn't offer (zoom and much faster operation, among others) and nearly the same size except in thickness. Small enough I will carry both.

115 x 58 x 9 - iphone
101 x 58 x 36 - RX100

ustein

Contributing Editor
>For me the RX100 is an iPhone camera replacement.

Same here. The iPhone is amazing but quite limited as camera. Some compensate with the lovely effects but still no good camera.

Can you do great photos with the iPhone? Yes, so can the Holga. The RX100 zoom makes a big difference for me.

Godfrey

For me the RX100 is an iPhone camera replacement. Far higher quality, features I've needed that the phone doesn't offer (zoom and much faster operation, among others) and nearly the same size except in thickness. Small enough I will carry both.

115 x 58 x 9 - iphone
101 x 58 x 36 - RX100
I carry my iPhone all the time. And now I'm carrying the X2 or GXR as well. So if the RX100 is an 'iPhone replacement' ... uh ... it can't call my brother or play music in the car for me, can it?

I'm not going to carry two cameras in addition to the iPhone all the time. The idea is to carry less, not more. One camera, one iPhone. Sometimes just one iPhone, and in that case, it won't be replaced by the RX100. ;-)

ustein

Contributing Editor
If I would find a cheap phone that could tether and would be out of contract I would even use a smaller phone. The iPhone is not the problem but the expensive contracts that go with it.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..almost an Elliott Erwitt moment..
Think I'm going to enjoy this camera.
Cropped and converted in iPhoto.

Last edited:

Godfrey

If I would find a cheap phone that could tether and would be out of contract I would even use a smaller phone. The iPhone is not the problem but the expensive contracts that go with it.
Uwe,

I bought my iPhone 4S outright and unlocked from Apple (costs $750). So I have no contract, I just buy service from AT&T or Verizon ... or anyone else I want with a little hacking ... on a month to month basis. Given the use I find for it, the service price I'm paying seems well warranted.

Anyone can do the same.

Terry

Uwe,

I bought my iPhone 4S outright and unlocked from Apple (costs $750). So I have no contract, I just buy service from AT&T or Verizon ... or anyone else I want with a little hacking ... on a month to month basis. Given the use I find for it, the service price I'm paying seems well warranted.

Anyone can do the same.
Or wait until the iPhone5 comes out....a bunch of 4S's will go off contract and AT&T is now unlocking them.

jonoslack

Uwe,

Anyone can do the same.
Hi Godfrey
I quite agree
We've been doing this for years too - except there's no hacking to do over here, simply buy a month by month iphone 'contract' which is not connected to a phone, and grab a phone from the apple store . . . . when the next phone comes out it's off to ebay with the old one. Simple as that (and much cheaper than paying for it on contract).

all the best

monza

Although this is off topic: How much is service off-contract (in the USA)? Looking at AT&T as far as I can tell service costs the same whether one buys the phone for cash ($750) or buys it for the subsidized price ($200.)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Given the use I find for it, the service price I'm paying seems well warranted.

This is just not the case for me.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
I'm a photographer not a telephonist:D

Did a few hand held close ups all at f1.8.

Was impressed.

Lightroom3 and a little bit of Nik Col Efex.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited: