The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

ustein

Contributing Editor
> I'm a minor danger compared to you!

You are in Britain and deserve the gold. I mostly show innocent images :).

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Boo Hiss you lot are dreadful.

Had quite decided I didn't want one, and I just popped in to my local fixer for a battery, mentioned the camera and one was quickly thrust into my sweaty mitts . . . rather nice I thought, and before I could stop myself out popped the card.

I blame you lot - it's all your fault :cussing::banghead::angry::argue:
:ROTFL:
So now I have to buy the OM-D and a Sony :confused:

Good thing I don't have a wife :chug:

ustein

Contributing Editor
Some of my last images before I sent it in for replacement. From a local tomato cannery.

darrellc

Just got it and really liking the RX100. Thinking about consolidating on OM-D and RX100 and selling Nex 5n/7 and Canon FF. I like small cameras, hate dragging my big Canon dSLR + glass around. Just wish Oly/Panasonic/Sony would do hybrid CDAF/PDAF on mirrorless. So far, DR on the RX100 seems not that great, but otherwise really like IQ.

DSC00024 by DarrellC, on Flickr

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Yeah, if there is one thing that bothers me about the RX100, it is the DR.

What are you comparing with? Other P&S should be the benchmark.

>Yeah, if there is one thing that bothers me about the RX100, it is the DR.

What are you comparing with? Other P&S should be the benchmark.
Did I say I was comparing it to anything? I was confirming a valid observation made by another forum member.

I'm a big fan of this camera as it sets a benchmark for size vs. performance, with an impressive amount of creative control. But it is simply the latest greatest and will be eclipsed as digital compacts get closer to the DR and shallow DOF capabilities of 35mm film compacts like the Contax T3.

Until then, I am enjoying it.

jonoslack

Just a couple of dinner party shots from last night.
shot as jpg, converted in Aperture. DR seems great to me (for any kind of point and shoot at least).

5000 ISO

6400 ISO

6400 ISO

1000 ISO

Just a couple of dinner party shots from last night.
shot as jpg, converted in Aperture. DR seems great to me (for any kind of point and shoot at least).
I wouldn't call it great but I also recognize my bar may be set higher. I still have a collection of film compacts loaded with Portra in regular rotation.

If you insist on comparing to small sensor compacts like the S100 or S95, then of course it is an improvement.

Regardless, it is a landmark camera and a great step forward.

jonoslack

I wouldn't call it great but I also recognize my bar may be set higher. I still have a collection of film compacts loaded with Portra in regular rotation.

If you insist on comparing to small sensor compacts like the S100 or S95, then of course it is an improvement.

Regardless, it is a landmark camera and a great step forward.
Probably Not a higher bar - maybe I'm being too positive - Great is probably not the right word.
Still, the DR is okay for a small sensor camera, and I challenge you to get better IQ than that at 6400 ISO pushing your portra! I don't suppose many of your film compacts have a 28-100 f1.8 / f4.9 zoom either - or autofocus as fast and intelligent as this.

On the other hand, I don't see what it has to do with a Contax T3 - surely you should be comparing that little beauty with the Fuji X100 and the Leica X2?

These benefits in the RX100 do have some downsides, what seems to me remarkable about this little camera is that the downsides are so minimal compared to the advantages.

Probably Not a higher bar - maybe I'm being too positive - Great is probably not the right word.
Still, the DR is okay for a small sensor camera, and I challenge you to get better IQ than that at 6400 ISO pushing your portra! I don't suppose many of your film compacts have a 28-100 f1.8 / f4.9 zoom either - or autofocus as fast and intelligent as this.

On the other hand, I don't see what it has to do with a Contax T3 - surely you should be comparing that little beauty with the Fuji X100 and the Leica X2?

These benefits in the RX100 do have some downsides, what seems to me remarkable about this little camera is that the downsides are so minimal compared to the advantages.
Jono - I'd give it a solid "good" but again, we are only talking DR here. My original comment was that this was the ONLY qualm I have with the camera. I can live with the not so shallow DOF because of all the "advantages" as you say. And this was not a digital vs. film argument - I was simply commenting on the DR performance.

I'm not much of a zoom guy, so wish that the RX100 was a fixed lens but maybe we'll see that in a m4/3 or APS-C version of the Ricoh GRD as rumored.

And I absolutely do think the RX100 merits comparison to the T3 due to their comparable size and IQ. The RX100 is in the IQ ballpark for less contrasty scenes stopped down a bit. The X100 and X2 are bigger than the T3 and not truly pocketable as the T3 and Ricoh GR are.

This is the category of camera I am most interested in. FF DSLRs are already amazing and continuing to improve, and we have excellent mid-sized interchangeable systems with decent largish sensors but no compacts that give us that same level of IQ as their film equivalents. The RX100 gets us very close but still does not compare to a T3 shot at 35mm f/2.8 - the shallow DOF creamy rendering and sharpness is just in a different league. I plan on doing a side by side comparison when I get back home from our road trip.

Cheers,
Chad