The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

Hosermage

Mine came today :) Wonderful little thing! At first, I wasn't sure how to hold it because it's so small. A lot of the features and modes reminds me of the NEX-5n that I had. The zoom range covers the basic needs and aperture is fast enough at the wide end. I think I made the right decision to have this to accompany the M9 instead of the OM-D.

How in the world has anyone managed to get the handstrap attached through the eyelet?

Is there a secret known only to the Sony Illuminati?

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Is there a secret known only to the Sony Illuminati?

Very easy: You have to have luck :)

Hosermage

pinch it together and push it through... I do wish it to be bigger so I can install the Op/Tech finger strap.

Some initial settings:
- menu start: previous
- mode dial guide: off
- AF illuminator: off
- audio signals: off
- control ring: picture effect (since the function wheel has the same function as "standard", I rather have the control ring do something different. I'll change it when the effects are no longer fun and when I start shoot more raw.

One thing I noticed was that the "water color" and "illustration" effects can be applied to any photo that was taken before, so I might not use them as much and only apply the effects later. The other effects are similar to the NEX, and I still like the two BW effects (rich and high contrast).

Hosermage

OK, time for some images... my "drive-by shooting" is now more fun!

BTW, I did find a way to put on my finger strap which has slightly thicker string. Out of the box, the camera came with a paper tag that has the sony thin string, un-tie it. Then stick one end of the thin string through the loop of the strap. Thread both end of the thin string through the eyelet and pull really hard until the thicker loop is pulled through. Voila!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Mine came today :) Wonderful little thing! At first, I wasn't sure how to hold it because it's so small. A lot of the features and modes reminds me of the NEX-5n that I had. The zoom range covers the basic needs and aperture is fast enough at the wide end. I think I made the right decision to have this to accompany the M9 instead of the OM-D.
Not fighting for any of these cameras here, but just being curious why you think that the RX100 colors are superior to the OMD ones (as you say in another thread that OMD did not come close enough to M9 colors and IQ)? I feel exactly the opposite and also feel that the OMD output is much closer to M9 than the RX100 output.

Did I miss something?

Hosermage

Hi there, I don't think RX100's IQ is any better either. But the point is, I wouldn't even try to compare them to the M9. If I still have the OMD, there will always be an internal argument with myself as to why should I use OMD instead of M9 when I clearly prefer the M9. However, there is no such debate with the RX100, because there is no overlap with the M9 so it's easy for me to decide which camera to use based on the circumstances. I hope this makes sense... it's just less to think about :D

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi there, I don't think RX100's IQ is any better either. But the point is, I wouldn't even try to compare them to the M9. If I still have the OMD, there will always be an internal argument with myself as to why should I use OMD instead of M9 when I clearly prefer the M9. However, there is no such debate with the RX100, because there is no overlap with the M9 so it's easy for me to decide which camera to use based on the circumstances. I hope this makes sense... it's just less to think about :D
Got it, thanks. Makes sense.

Why did you not consider a X2 to complement the M9? The longer I am looking at the X2 the more I want one. Especially if I would need a compact P&S aside an M9.

Hosermage

Not sure, just like the X100, it never interested me. Maybe it's the fixed focal lens, I just never look deep into it. The RX100, though, it's probably more for my wife than for me, so it's extreme small size is a big plus, since it'll be in her purse instead of my camera bag :D

kuau

Workshop Member
Just got my RX100 today, really like it. I will be putting my NEX7 kit up for sale soon.
I am for sure going to order Richard Franiec stick-on grip, It should make the camera easier to handle.
The RX100 will compliment my D800/E and larger Tech View Camera.
Now if can find a nice case for it I will be set.

Hosermage

Now if can find a nice case for it I will be set.
hehe.. I thought about that... Then I thought: "what about my pocket?" Perfect place for it, just make sure I don't put the keys in the same pocket :p While I also want to add the grip, but I'm afraid it'll make it less "pocketable".

ustein

Contributing Editor

THe following image just shows how nice the landscape can be just parking at Morgan Hill's Trader Joe's :)

C

curious80

Copying over this question which I posted a few days ago in sony forum:

I have a question for RX100 owners about its automated modes (Program or Av). Do you know what is typically the lowest shutter speed that it chooses in those modes? My s95 has this tendency to often choose 1/20s as a shutter speed in low light levels to avoid bumping the ISO too much. That works well for static scenes as the image stabilization is very effective on it. And frankly it is rather poor at anything above ISO 400 so its good that it tries to keep the ISO down. However as a result indoor people shots have a high probability of being blurred, as 1/20s is not really a fast enough shutter speed for people shots. And of course with my 4 year daughter the chances of getting a blur-free shot are even less. So wondering how does RX100 behave in such situations? If I get the RX100 it will more often than not be used in program or Av modes so this is an important consideration for me.