The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

Hosermage

curious80, for auto ISO, you can set the range you will allow, but it doesn't have a min/max setting for shutter speed. As far as I can tell, while in A mode and in a dark scene, the camera will use whatever shutter speed it needs to have proper exposure. However, I leave my S-mode on 1/60 to get around this. When I see the shutter speed is to slow, I just switch to S-mode and adjust it since that's my primary concern at that point.

more images to share.. from around the house:

DaveO

I know everybody's all excited about this "big" sensor compact camera, but just a reminder...
The sensor may be bigger on the M9, but the price without lens is 10x as much. Plus you can't put it in your pocket or do videos with it.:deadhorse:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The sensor may be bigger on the M9, but the price without lens is 10x as much. Plus you can't put it in your pocket or do videos with it.:deadhorse:
Actually I owned a number of high-end P&S cameras, starting from Contax models back in the film days till several Dlux's, G10, XZ1, etc., in the digital world.

I must say that I never really used them other than in the first few days or weeks after I bought them. Then they went out of my pocket and stayed somewhere in my closet, till I sold them for the next and better P&S.

So I opted this time - after digesting all the features and the starting hype about the RX100 - which BTW really seems to be a stunning and capable small camera - to stay away from buying one.

BTW I always need to force myself to use any camera for video. Good video takes a lot of thinking and arranging and I am already so busy doing this for photography, that I simply could not care less about video features.

Rather waiting for the M10 as my next P&S :cool:

C

curious80

curious80, for auto ISO, you can set the range you will allow, but it doesn't have a min/max setting for shutter speed. As far as I can tell, while in A mode and in a dark scene, the camera will use whatever shutter speed it needs to have proper exposure. However, I leave my S-mode on 1/60 to get around this. When I see the shutter speed is to slow, I just switch to S-mode and adjust it since that's my primary concern at that point.

Thanks for the response. I am fine if it uses slow shutter speeds in situations where it has no other choice. However my S95 will happily choose ISO 80 1/20s every time instead of say doing 1/50s at ISO 200. I would like it to use such low shutter speeds only when it has reached the end of usable ISO (lets say ISO 400 on that camera). So I am trying to understand which behavior does RX100 have, does it try to stick to the base ISO or very low ISOs even if it means using a very low shutter speed, or is it willing to choose slightly higher ISOs (within AutoISO limits) to ensure that shutter speed doesn't go too low.

Switching to S mode certainly helps. However I am more concerned about making the camera wife-proof, as she is likely going to use it much more than I do.

ashwinrao1

Hi all, Picked up the camera about 5 days ago, and it's quite a fantastic companion. Here are a few...from the past few...

Hosermage

Switching to S mode certainly helps. However I am more concerned about making the camera wife-proof, as she is likely going to use it much more than I do.
Hi there, I have the same concern and I will also be loaning it to my mother for her cruise trip coming up. I'm leaning to tell her to just use the "Superior Auto mode", which is suppose to evaluate the scene and choose the best settings to reduce motion blur and etc. One thing that I have tried with the NEX-5n camera was the twilight anti-motion blur mode, which will take up to 6 quick shots and stack them to improve exposure, and it worked quite well if the subject wasn't moving much.

Ashwin, nice to have you on board! There is certainly no more reasons for us to not have a camera with us all the time now, huh? :)

kuau

Workshop Member
Uwe,
are you shooting in raw mode and processing using Sony's IDC software?
I have been trying IDC software which seems to work ok I guess but I am trying to figure out the sharpening settings.

steven

ustein

Contributing Editor
>are you shooting in raw mode and processing using Sony's IDC software?

Yes, no :). I shoot raw and use different beta raw converters. Not disclosed in more detail at this point.

Matix

One week in with the Sony RX100..... Some shots in various settings, daytime, night outdoor party, indoors, general random shots.. what is good, what is not?

IQ is excellent, not up to the A77 in low ISO and good lighting, but generally excellent and certainly the premium compact camera. The flash is surprisingly accurate and has more power than the size would suggest. The camera can do it, the success of the shot is up to me now I guess.

Compared to the ergonomics of the LX5, controls are a bit fiddly and for sure it needs a grip... I have one from Richard Franiec on order, but without it worries me as I have t use a wrist strap, not easy to pick up and use.. where is the shutter button?? My fingers do not drop on the shutter as I am holding it secure as possible and the index finger is not where it should be.

All things considered, it is well worth the money, well done Sony.

Some shots taken in past week....

DSC-RX100, f/6.3 @ 15.64 mm, 1/800, ISO 125

Same location as above, Full Zoom plus Clear View RX100, f/7.1 @ 37.1 mm, 1/800, ISO 125

RX100, f/5.6 @ 15.1 mm, 1/800, ISO 125

RX100, f/4.5 @ 21.53 mm, 1/500, ISO 100

Cycad Flower - RX100, f/3.5 @ 10.4 mm, 1/100, ISO 125

RX100, f/5.6 @ 22.01 mm, 1/800, ISO 100

RX100, f/3.5 @ 10.4 mm, 1/100, ISO 100

RX100, f/1.8 @ 10.4 mm, 1/30, ISO 200

SONY DSC-RX100, f/3.2 @ 18.23 mm, 1/30, ISO 200, Flash

RX100, f/3.5 @ 19.53 mm, 1/30, ISO 320, Flash

RX100, f/5.6 @ 37.1 mm, 1/800, ISO 100