The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

ustein

Contributing Editor
> is going forward and backward in little spurts. What is the cause? ( 1:20-1:30 mark)

Good catch, looks like the AF hunted. I tried to be on MF but may have missed it here.

jonoslack

>Not sure anymore ....

Could you give any argument?
HI Uwe
I'm rather in Peter's camp (having bought many many small cameras and only used them for a few days).

It would be really useful for the times I'm not carrying a bag (going to the lavatory and riding a horse seem to be the only times :D). That's the crunch. . . at the moment I use an X2 on the horse, I'd like a zoom, so I am tempted.

On the other hand, this one really does look pretty good - my only concern looking at these shots is that the skin tones look pretty brutal and blotchy, but maybe that's just practice.

I'd like to do some comparisons between the output from the RX100 and the OMD with a small zoom (maybe the 14-42 power zoom).

ustein

Contributing Editor
I am in no camp here because I still evaluate. For video is is more than just nice though. But just saying ">Not sure anymore ...." is not that meaningful for me at least.

>OMD with a small zoom

For me that is not competition just because of the size. Right mow I tend to use DSLR FF or P&S. But if I would walk NY I likely changed my mind. The OMD + 12-35mm (and 35-100 soon) is intriguing)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
>Not sure anymore ....

Could you give any argument?
Similar as Jono I had so many top-end P&S's and most of them are gone and replaced by the next great and best ....

Also while looking at the images posted from the RX100, the colors do not look so nicely overall to me. Maybe I am used too much to Olympus colors or Leica colors nowadays.

Despite of that the RX100 is a great camera for sure and summarizes lot of great features which a P&S today should cover. But I fear I would only use it for very short before it would stay at home again, waiting for the next even better camera.

The X2, although a pretty different concept, gets more and more interesting for me. The more often I visualize how I could do a shot, the more I come to the conclusion that the X2 would (could) be the best tool for this in the range of high end P&S. I would love somebody talk me out of that :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
That helped.

In the end this maybe just the camera of the day. But I think more of using this camera additional to my iPhone and the video is very good.

monza

I'm looking at it as a carry-everywhere. The iPhone has been that camera but the RX-100 is about the same size and offers what I often need that the iPhone doesn't have...zoom lens, low light ability, etc.

ustein

Contributing Editor
I'm looking at it as a carry-everywhere. The iPhone has been that camera but the RX-100 is about the same size and offers what I often need that the iPhone doesn't have...zoom lens, low light ability, etc.
THe same here.

Quentin_Bargate

It's more capable than a carry anywhere might imply, although it is without a doubt a great carry anywhere. In absolute terms, the image quality is excellent. The menu's are better than on a NEX. Sony are on a roll right now.

I don't usually do video but I am planning on using it to video an upcoming event I am hosting for Seed Academy at Google Campus this Wednesday.

Matix

It's more capable than a carry anywhere might imply, although it is without a doubt a great carry anywhere. In absolute terms, the image quality is excellent. The menu's are better than on a NEX. Sony are on a roll right now.

I don't usually do video but I am planning on using it to video an upcoming event I am hosting for Seed Academy at Google Campus this Wednesday.
This pretty well sums it up for me too, it is no match for a good DSLR, but as an 'always in my pocket' or car, cycle or whatever, it does a good job, better than my LX3/5.

If the LXx had this sensor I would prefer that, simply for the 'feel', the Sony is not easy to hold for me, and a viewfinder option would have been nice for bright sunny days which we get a lot of in Australia.

Phil

retow

Similar as Jono I had so many top-end P&S's and most of them are gone and replaced by the next great and best ....

Also while looking at the images posted from the RX100, the colors do not look so nicely overall to me. Maybe I am used too much to Olympus colors or Leica colors nowadays.

Despite of that the RX100 is a great camera for sure and summarizes lot of great features which a P&S today should cover. But I fear I would only use it for very short before it would stay at home again, waiting for the next even better camera.

The X2, although a pretty different concept, gets more and more interesting for me. The more often I visualize how I could do a shot, the more I come to the conclusion that the X2 would (could) be the best tool for this in the range of high end P&S. I would love somebody talk me out of that :)
You were pretty satisfied with the Nikon V1, I thought. The RX100 has a slightly better IQ, better resolution, better dof control and all in a shirt pocket size form. Versatility and maybe a tad faster AF speak for the Nikon. However, for a sytem camera, the Nikon's IQ falls a little short of what I'd consider "good enough", whereas the RX100 sets the new benchmark in the shirt pocket size category, by country miles that is. Snaps from yesterday as I was walking to a business meeting (no picture or smart phone ones would have been the alternative before I had the tiny Sony).

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
RX100 vs V1

Plus RX100

- smaller
- better sensor
- faster lens

Plus V1

- amazing tele range with 30-110mm lens
- very good EVF
- faster AF
- 40 shot raw buffer at 10 fps

I am optimistic we get improved sensors in the Nikon 1 line. Overall very different cameras.

ashwinrao1

I am very pleased with the RX100's output. Point and shoot ergonomics belie a lovely image output, thanks to 20 MP and a solid sensor....IQ is really quite nice

ptomsu

Workshop Member
You were pretty satisfied with the Nikon V1, I thought. The RX100 has a slightly better IQ, better resolution, better dof control and all in a shirt pocket size form. Versatility and maybe a tad faster AF speak for the Nikon. However, for a sytem camera, the Nikon's IQ falls a little short of what I'd consider "good enough", whereas the RX100 sets the new benchmark in the shirt pocket size category, by country miles that is. Snaps from yesterday as I was walking to a business meeting (no picture or smart phone ones would have been the alternative before I had the tiny Sony).
Right I was very happy with the V1, but I decided to give the OMD a try, as it is much closer to photography IMHO and IP is much better than from V1, also AF is almost as fast. Maybe with a V2 and some faster lenses for the Nikon 1 system I would revert back. Maybe we will see the RX100 sensor in a V2 soon?

As already said, my only concern with the RX100 is that it will end up staying at home again pretty soon, as I have other cameras to choose from like the OMD. Sure there is the pocketable argument, but actually I do not care so much about this if I really want to shoot and my jean pockets are so tight, that the RX100 would not fit in anyway ;)

But the results I see in general are very good. Maybe colors are not really my taste but this is subjective anyway.

ustein

Contributing Editor
Very. The main issue was actually that the big brothers used 70-200mm zooms for better reach. Here the small brother lost a bit :)