The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

jonoslack

Gandolfi
Quite right too (let's get back to the subject in hand) - and those are really lovely.
Excellent
Nice bokeh - everything just as it should be.
fab
(did I say I liked them!)

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
(did I say I liked them!)

you did, Jono, but you can whisper it one more time if you want to!

Here's a random street shot behind my back. Uncropped.

(did I say I liked this camera).

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

Hosermage

Although this is off topic: How much is service off-contract (in the USA)? Looking at AT&T as far as I can tell service costs the same whether one buys the phone for cash ($750) or buys it for the subsidized price ($200.)
T-mobile, I think, is the only company that offers a slightly discounted monthly service price if your phone is not subsidized. But of course, iphones aren't compatible with their bands. They're working on something to make themselve compatible though.

Godfrey

Although this is off topic: How much is service off-contract (in the USA)? Looking at AT&T as far as I can tell service costs the same whether one buys the phone for cash ($750) or buys it for the subsidized price ($200.)
My monthly is a quite reasonable $60 or so. I was paying $45 for monthly pre-paid with $1@1K data service when I was using my previous phone, so for $15 more I get nearly double the talk minutes and virtually unlimited data, which I feel is a fine trade-off.

When I had a simpler phone, I carried the phone, an iPod Touch, and a camera. Nowadays, I can carry just the phone with or without a camera ... and get as a result oodles more functionality.

Problems of the first world, eh? ;-)

jonoslack

Well, the point of the camera was to use it on a horse . . . . It works, although it's quite a challenge to get good photographs! None yet, but at least this is a proof of concept:

Here are a couple of oddities:

Oyster shell and sand (not sure why)

This is a picture of Godfrey's camera (or do you have a chrome one?)

Hi There - Why don't you pop the RX100 in to the group and do that interesting size comparison again?

all the best
Four FF vs One 1 incher.

Sorry for the shallow DOF - was too busy today to break out lights and shoot this properly.

The RX compares favorably to all of the classics in terms of overall size. It is still a bit deep compared to the T3, GR1 and is about the same as the XA and surprisingly the Minilux (although the Lux distributes that depth longitudinally down the body like a brick - a certain funk song comes to mind). The GR1 still feels best in the pants pocket thanks to its svelt waistline.

I've displaced the Oly XA from its snug little Nikon P&S leather case in favor of the RX which fits a bit more comfortably.

Next up, a shoot out!

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..thank you for the niceties, Godfrey (lovely book), Monza (after the racetrack?), Jono (if you over expose your horsey pics do you get clip-clopped highlights?:deadhorse:).

Yesterday I went to the Olympic Games.
Sailing at Weymouth.
There was no wind, no racing, no medals, no nothing:eek:

Still, lovely sunshine, always nice to see the sea.

So this pic is titled 'Ebbing tide, no yachts, Olympic regatta, Weymouth 2012'

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

Moonshine

this camera looks so tempting...
i have an X2 and as a second camera was thinking of getting either an OMD or a GX1...now i'm thinking maybe the RX100?
How is the lens at the long end? is it sharp?
Thanks!

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hi Moonshine,

Just shot this a minute ago in the Sunshine!
This is max zoom, wide open, 1/500 sec, unretouched jpeg. straight out of camera.
Looks ok to me.
The above sea scape also max zoom @ f5.6.

I shoot most of the time @0.7 underexposed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

jonoslack

One shouldn't try and take pictures of dogs zooming around the garden at dusk with a little point and shoot . . . .

Especially if it's Obi and Milo at top speed.

so I thought I'd give it a try :p

Shutter priority