The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

Thorkil

HI Daniel
excellent! Like you - I'm waiting for RAW support (Aperture in my case). But the jpgs aren't very dreadful, and seem to have plenty of scope (except for blown highlights of course).
Jono, you are really doing exellent with the RX100! Allow me to ask, have you owned a GRD IV? If so: any real life comments between those two, compared?
Thorkil

ustein

Contributing Editor
>Horrible light can be good light.

Not so sure. But you cannot move an event to have better light. This way you may have here one chance in 10 years :)

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Actually I have it from the highest authority courtesy of the book of Genesis...

And god said let there be light, and there was light,
And god saw the light, and it was good;)

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Monza, Let's hope the postman only has to ring once. It is fantastic .

Uwe, those last look very nice.

Here is another from the never ending 'Meaning of Life' series,

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

CharlesK

I have been watching this thread grow with some great shots!!! I am amazed at the IQ from this cam. So yesterday, while in Tainan, I now have a RX 100 too, as a companion to the M9:D I am loving the ergonomics, and just how much fun it is to shoot with the camera!!!

Shots from today in Tainan, some of the Taiwan National Ballet company

There are so many cake shops all around Tainan city.

Eating at the Zen Buddhist restaurant having a vegetarian steam boat!

Last edited:

ustein

Contributing Editor
>and just how much fun it is to shoot with the camera!

That is very true. Enormous flexibility in holding the camera:

- way down
- Over the head
- On top of objects

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
>and just how much fun it is to shoot with the camera!

That is very true. Enormous flexibility in holding the camera:

- way down
- Over the head
- On top of objects
Ah, Grasshopper, it simply IS, just as everything else simply IS.

Up ladders, on ceilings.

Photographed 10 minutes ago especially for this thread.
Dedicated to grasshoppers and zen buddhists everywhere.

400ASA, 1/60 @ f4.5.

Great shots, Charles:thumbup:

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Another sky.

Before and after.

Untouched jpeg then Nik colour efex (yes colour!)

then 4 crops which IMHO show amazing detail and tone and grain.

Keep on snappin'.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
...this for Pedants everywhere, for those slow days...

Don't know if you've ever been to dofmaster.com which among other things has an online depth of field calculator, into which you enter camera model, lens focal length, lens f No and subject distance and it calculates the resulting depth of field.

Sony RX100
focal length 10.4mm, f1.8, subject at 3 inches results in DOF of 0.32 inches.

Hmm I thought not much room for error, until I tried it for a

Leica M9
focal length 28mm, f1.4, subject at 3 inches results in DOF of 0.02 inches.

Also the sheer number of cameras in the list certainly results in a :wtf: moment.

Ee, sonny, when I were a lad it was a choice of a Pentax SV, a Nikon F or a Kodak Instamatic.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..the pussy was willing but the photographer wobbled..;)

Took the camera for a stroll 9pm yesterday and I saw this so quick and it was gone. Pity 'cos this is felix purrfectly personified.

1600 ASA 1/5 sec f1.8.

Last edited:

Howard

Gandolfi,
Now that you are shooting with a RX100, have you stopped shooting with your LX3? Your LX3 photos were always a joy to view.

monza

Just got mine yesterday, took a few snaps, menu system is refreshing (cleaner than NEX and I won't mention Olympus...oops.) This is going to be fun. :)

10mm, f/2.8, 1/400, ISO 80 (straight from camera other than the crops)

10mm f/1.8 1/2000, fiddled with saturation on this one.

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Just got mine yesterday, took a few snaps, menu system is refreshing (cleaner than NEX and I won't mention Olympus...oops.) This is going to be fun. :)

10mm f/1.8 1/2000, fiddled with saturation on this one.

I like that glow. :) Only old LTM lenses give this sort of effects on the NEX.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

I just went out to play with focus peaking because I've not used it before.
I tried it on my hand, and took this nothing snap, but look at the quality of the crop. IMHO fairly amazing. Isn't it? Jpeg sharpened in iPhoto.

I discover I have become a 'one eyed, one horned, flying purple pixel peeper'- Sheb Wooley, 1958.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Gandolfi,
Now that you are shooting with a RX100, have you stopped shooting with your LX3? Your LX3 photos were always a joy to view.
Hello Howard,

Thanks for compliments, I always thought of you as my number 1 fan:thumbup:

Well I have stopped shooting with the LX3. It was a fantastic camera and I would happily go round the world with it.

I had a bit of sensor dust I think which happened coincidentally with the announcement of the RX100 which undoubtedly has more oomph. I hope I am going to produce interesting stuff with it.

Anyhow I've been putting together a slide show in iPhoto and have got 294:eek: pics so far. I think that represents about 2 per week over the last 3 years. It's very interesting viewing. I think maybe I shall post some of the 'unseen gems' over the coming weeks, just for fun:)

Thanks again,

Cheers,

Gandolfi.