The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

monza

Just a quick snap during a dog walk. Quite impressed with the resolution and AF accuracy (used focus tracking on the bug so as I moved the camera it stayed focused.)

ISO 100, 1/200, f/5.6

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
..nice to see the American species still alive and kicking. I am liking the crop-ability of this camera, something I could never really do in my LX3 days.

I had never even thought of focus tracking-I've never used it-so thanks for pointing that out-it could be an answer to my prayers. Presumably also works on swaying flowers etc. Must practice that.

Here's one I missed 1st time round from my late night session with Echo, all these were, as I said, manual focus.

LR & Nik.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Robert,

You are talking about continuous AF are you not, known as AF-C in the menu?

I just had a quick trial run and it seems to work perfect. Is it infallible?

Hush, hush, whisper who dares, but I quite like the watercolour effect pics, and am afraid I may be taking more in the Future. The number on this one seems to indicate that it is my 1,000th snap.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

monza

Robert,

You are talking about continuous AF are you not, known as AF-C in the menu?

Actually I have it set to AF-S, with Autofocus Area set to Center.

Put the subject in the center, press the center button on dial to enable focus tracking, press it again to lock focus on the subject. :) Then reframe and shoot.

Hosermage

Hush, hush, whisper who dares, but I quite like the watercolour effect pics, and am afraid I may be taking more in the Future.
Hi, you may already know this.. but you can apply the watercolor/illustration effects later in the playback menu, and it'll save as a new file. That way you can still retain the original image, or not make a conscious decision at capture time.

D

derby1982

:argue:

if you need average pocket camera, with a lot of functions, easy to use, and you don’t care about the price – buy it. If you want to spend some extra bug for better than average quality, stay away from it. There are better choices. Do not listen to Sony agents – a lot of them are here.

limbonaut

:argue:

if you need average pocket camera, with a lot of functions, easy to use, and you don’t care about the price – buy it. If you want to spend some extra bug for better than average quality, stay away from it. There are better choices. Do not listen to Sony agents – a lot of them are here.
Huh? Agents? How many are better if this is average?

monza

The forum has been secretly infiltrated. All these photos were actually taken with other cameras. :ROTFL:

Nice first post!

ustein

Contributing Editor
>All these photos were actually taken with other cameras.

Also Sony pays us millions to fake these images :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>but you can apply the watercolor/illustration effects later in the playback menu, and it'll save as a new file. That way you can still retain the original image, or not make a conscious decision at capture time.

Seems you need to shoot in JPEG (maybe Raw+JPEG)?

Matix

Sony RX100 - getting (RE)-started (Almost)

Couple more days, then I have the replacement for the RX100 that bit the big one..... amazing really, who was that poster bad mouthing the RX100 anyway... take a brilliant appealing camera like this, and look at the results.

This is the camera that took the following images... JPG out of camera.

I rest my case.... RIP Serial # 5616858, you will stay on my shelf in a glass case. Sigh... I have my LX5 on Ebay, sorry Lumix...

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Thanks David, Robert and Uwe,

Of course I really knew of all these little secrets, I'm a secret agent and I helped to write the manual.

My advice is to ignore all 1st time posters who spew forth obvious rubbish.

So to concentrate on relevant matters, I thought I might think that 28mm at the wide end may not be wide enough for me, but there is plenty of width and openness in this one.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

Quentin_Bargate

Re: Sony RX100 - Case

Just got a cheap Ebay leather case for the RX100 that works realy well. £8, so about US$13 I would guess.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Nice looking little case, Quentin.

Here's mine, it's only a protection against dust and muck, not knocks, but probably dictates more than sensor size or megapixels what camera I have. It came originally 20 years ago with an old film P & S Fuji DL was two focal lengths 28mm & one piece of glass dropped down in front of another to make it about 42mm; and it scrunches up nicely to disappear into my pocket.

Also a hand crafted lenshood specially designed for astral photography, and diameter is perfect for RX100 and also folds flat for ease of transport. I'm thinking of selling the idea to Richard Franiec.

And the elephants? They are for scale purposes only.

Cheers.

Last edited: