The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
If we for a second forget emotions that come up with "Leica glow" can anybody please tell me what technical behaviors are most common culprit for such "glow"?
Ya know...sometimes in life there is no better explanation other than emotional.
This may be one of those times........

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
.. no motor-drive,no cropping, just tickle the shutter...................................................NOW.

Both full telephoto, 1/2000 @ f5.6.

If I lost this camera today I would sell my body tomorrow in order to buy a new camera on Thursday!

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

jonoslack

Re: Sony RX100 - Case

Yes, but Jono, you had to buy the blasted v-lux20 to get the case :p
I did, but it was brilliant, and we got lots of good shots with it complete with GPS . . . and now it's been sold on ebay for a respectable and dignified sum.

What more could one ask (I know . . why doesn't the RX100 have GPS?)

jonoslack

If we for a second forget emotions that come up with "Leica glow" can anybody please tell me what technical behaviors are most common culprit for such "glow"?

We will have to disagree on that.
Oh Come - it's hard to scientifically quantify the benefits of a decent claret - but most of us can recognise one when we taste one . . . . and presumably the wine makers know what they're doing.

Same thing with magic lenses - we can recognise the magic, and the cleverclogs at Zeiss and Leica are the winemakers.

Just because you can't recognise it in a resolution test or quantify it in speech doesn't mean it ain't there, any more than the light of a beautiful morning is scientifically quantifiable.

(and yes, I am a scientist . . or was at least!)

all the best

PS Gandolfi - you're taking magical images (oops!)

ZoranC

Oh Come - it's hard to scientifically quantify the benefits of a decent claret - but most of us can recognise one when we taste one . . . . and presumably the wine makers know what they're doing.

Same thing with magic lenses - we can recognise the magic, and the cleverclogs at Zeiss and Leica are the winemakers.

Just because you can't recognise it in a resolution test or quantify it in speech doesn't mean it ain't there, any more than the light of a beautiful morning is scientifically quantifiable.

(and yes, I am a scientist . . or was at least!)
C'mon jonoslack, isn't what many people call "Leica glow" often case of spherical aberrations and not "fine wine magic"?

jonoslack

C'mon jonoslack, isn't what many people call "Leica glow" often case of spherical aberrations and not "fine wine magic"?
HI Zoran
I don't care what it is - anymore than I care what it is that makes up a fine wine - and I'm not suggesting it's magic either, just that some lenses under some circumstances have a presence, and the fact that you can't pin it down in an MTF chart doesn't mean it isn't obviously there!

all the best

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Biggles, Ginger, Algy and the rest of the squadron on patrol over no-man's land, on the lookout for some Fokkers.

Last edited:

ZoranC

HI Zoran
I don't care what it is - anymore than I care what it is that makes up a fine wine - and I'm not suggesting it's magic either, just that some lenses under some circumstances have a presence, and the fact that you can't pin it down in an MTF chart doesn't mean it isn't obviously there!
Thank you for clarification what you meant. For some reason I was interpreting your original post as saying characteristic discussed was desirable and intentional on behalf of designers.

ZoranC

Well, don't you think that the inspired designers do have at least a feel for what will work? Just like good winemakers do?
Yes, I do. And somehow I feel those designers know typical consumers don't have positive emotional reaction to "glow", that typical buyer wants their shot to be clinically flawless, especially when they buy premium product with Sony label, so it would be hard for me to believe this was intentional.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Just a quick hand held 3200 ASA 1/15 @ f4.9 longest zoom of tonight's moon rise out of the window mucked about a bit in Col Efex. Cropped. I'm after that Maxfield Parrish sort of glow with this one :).

Worth a go and will try another night when better clouds.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

Just a quick hand held 3200 ASA 1/15 @ f4.9 longest zoom of tonight's moon rise out of the window mucked about a bit in Col Efex. Cropped. I'm after that Maxfield Parrish sort of glow with this one :).

Worth a go and will try another night when better clouds.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.
Lord have mercy, there's no glow. It's a...a... nice abbé ration.
You seem to be doing well with the camera. There's something about color with this camera. It's hard to describe but it's there. Even at night, your photo is proof, there's ....uh MAGIC.

The real interesting quality of this camera is the tonal range.the seperation of tone is beautiful.
Sorry for rambling ...

ZoranC

There's something about color with this camera. It's hard to describe but it's there.
I think it's called "color shift".

Even at night, your photo is proof, there's ....uh MAGIC.
With all due respect I think all photos posted here, especially at sizes they were posted at, are perfect illustrations of ability of photographer (whether in compostion, and/or mood, and/or postprocessing) and none of the ability of the camera. I feel if we gave camera phone in same hands and didn't say it we would still end up with same awe reactions.

Hosermage

With all due respect I think all photos posted here, especially at sizes they were posted at, are perfect illustrations of ability of photographer (whether in compostion, and/or mood, and/or postprocessing) and none of the ability of the camera. I feel if we gave camera phone in same hands and didn't say it we would still end up with same awe reactions.
Hi, I think you just lost me... Is your point in commenting in this thread to say that this camera doesn't deserve the praises we give it? I think your points are good, but they probably apply to most, if not all cameras, which makes me wonder what bother bringing it up in this thread? Lord know, I've seen plenty of bad photos from the M9 (made by me), so I know the camera alone doesn't make the picture. However, if the camera allow us to create an image that we can be proud of, then hasn't it done its job? To me, that's why I like this camera, a small package that gets the job done.

ustein

Contributing Editor
>However, if the camera allow us to create an image that we can be proud of, then hasn't it done its job? To me, that's why I like this camera, a small package that gets the job done.

+1. That is always my point.

>I feel if we gave camera phone in same hands and didn't say it we would still end up with same awe reactions.

Show me a phone that has this kind of lens.