The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

Lightcraftsman

Wow. This thread has some impressive photos shot with the Rx-100. I got ne for Christmas and took it to Big Bend National Park. This is from inside an old rock house next to the Hot Springs parking lot. I just sent 12x18 and 16x24 files off for prints to see how well the RX-100 holds up for large prints. So far I am very impressed with this camera.

mazor

Wow, Show performance, those images look as if there is HDR built into the sensor or processor. Very impressive indeed. I think those UFO's in the plane window is the wing supports painted red, but defocused

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hello All,

I've just returned from a short trip to Tuscany. Very cold and some sun and some snow.

Here are some holiday snaps of the countryside around San Gimignano in the sunshine.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

Lightcraftsman

Now that we've all posted photos of what this little pocket gem does right, here is one illustrating a weakness. This is at the widest zoom. Notice the severe distortion in the corners. It is especially evident in the upper corners.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
In Tuscany I sometimes found it difficult to tell the difference between the "trompe l'oeil" and the "bleedin' obvious" :facesmack::D

1st two in Siena and 3rd in Lucca.

Very dark inside Italian churches so high ASA for those.

Great little pocketable camera for that sort of thing as inside most Italian churches there are 'No Photo no Film" signs so after each pic I put camera in jacket pocket.

G.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Now that we've all posted photos of what this little pocket gem does right, here is one illustrating a weakness. This is at the widest zoom. Notice the severe distortion in the corners. It is especially evident in the upper corners.
Hi, I presume you are talking about the gentleman in the top left corner. I don't consider that to be severe distortion, in fact I would not have noticed it had you not pointed it out. I don't think there is anything in the other 3 corners that will show distortion.

I have always quite liked a bit of wide-angle distortion so perhaps I'm the wrong person to comment.

Nevertheless that pic of yours is lovely quality (I wonder what sort of high-falutin' bigwiggery is going on and why are all the bigwigs hiding their hands :D) and what a great little toy this camera is to carry and play with:) imho

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
At the Vineria Il Murello di San Pietro, Siena, for salami (definitely not :SPAM:)and cheese (yum yum) and vino.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hi Howard,

All those effects I get from using Nik Col Efex. As you probably know I like to try out a lot of the filters and I get a kick out of sliding sliders as far as they will go just to see what happens. Not everyone's cup of tea I know. In this case the people pic (2500ASA) I have used the 'Polaroid Transfer' filter and for some of the others I have used the 'Detail Extractor' filter. Once I have finished and downloaded the pic into Lightroom I am never entirely certain which filters I have used!!:facesmack:

I fiddle with images for 10 mins or so until I get a look which I like.

I like the Nik Siver Efex and Col Efex a lot and use them just about all the time, even if it is merely to add a border.

I still enjoy the RX100 (it is such a tiny camera it is amazing really - I used to work with an old wooden 10 x 8 camera!!) especially higher ASA capabilities but of course as you know from your results your LX7 is just as good a lot of the time.

Cheers, and I think it's about time we had another pic of Harry the Whippet;)

Gandolfi.