The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

Hi

how is the rx100 for snapshots of playing kids (no sports, no running) daylight and in the evening in low light?

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Sorry. No kids around here.

However I don't see why RX100 couldn't do this. Works good right up to 1600 ASA. While on holiday recently a Japanese couple asked me to take a pic of them with their little P & S camera and when I half pressed the shutter a little rectangle appeared surrounding each head so that was my 1st encounter ever with face recognition:D. So that is obviously a big help with kiddiepics.

The LX7 would also be a good bet with greater depth of field.

However RX100 is a good camera for taking pictures of Alps! This I think over Switzerland through a fairly dirty window. (Difficult to find a window cleaner at 38,000 feet.) Zoom at maximum minimises dirt. Processed with Silver Efex.

2nd pic is enlargement of the bottom left hand quarter and is v. good detail, but I had been hoping to be able to see an off-piste skier somewhere.

Howard

Hi Howard,

All those effects I get from using Nik Col Efex. As you probably know I like to try out a lot of the filters and I get a kick out of sliding sliders as far as they will go just to see what happens. Not everyone's cup of tea I know. In this case the people pic (2500ASA) I have used the 'Polaroid Transfer' filter and for some of the others I have used the 'Detail Extractor' filter. Once I have finished and downloaded the pic into Lightroom I am never entirely certain which filters I have used!!:facesmack:

I fiddle with images for 10 mins or so until I get a look which I like.

I like the Nik Siver Efex and Col Efex a lot and use them just about all the time, even if it is merely to add a border.

I still enjoy the RX100 (it is such a tiny camera it is amazing really - I used to work with an old wooden 10 x 8 camera!!) especially higher ASA capabilities but of course as you know from your results your LX7 is just as good a lot of the time.

Cheers, and I think it's about time we had another pic of Harry the Whippet;)

Gandolfi.
I recently purchased Nik Silver Efex and Just downloaded Color Efex but it is not yet working. I have alot to learn.

Last week, I posted a B&W of Nova the Dalmation on the following thread: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/4-3rds-cameras/7517-black-white-pics-show-yours-40.html . I took that photo with my Panasonic G5 45 f1.8.

Yesterday I took some photos of two greyhounds again with my Panasonic G5 and will post them after I PP them and decide which ones to post.

I enjoy the photos you post. Please keep up the good work.

Howard

tbhv55

Very nice shots - I particularly liked Nos. 4,6,7,& 8:thumbup:

I've yet to really get to grips with my RX100 - UK weather has been pretty dreadful since I bought the RX100 three months ago...:(

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Thanks,
Agree about the weather- I'm back in Bath now, but I did encounter some medieval snow in medieval Lucca:)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I carry my RX-100 everywhere, but frankly the shooting experience is not engaging, for me. I have a NEX 6 coming, with the Sigma 30/2.8 lens, and I am hopeful that it will provide more in this regard (the EVF). I like the RX-100 IQ, to be sure, but I do not enjoy shooting it.

tbhv55

I carry my RX-100 everywhere, but frankly the shooting experience is not engaging, for me. I have a NEX 6 coming, with the Sigma 30/2.8 lens, and I am hopeful that it will provide more in this regard (the EVF). I like the RX-100 IQ, to be sure, but I do not enjoy shooting it.
It's gradually improving for me as I continue to use it, but overall I tend to agree regarding the shooting experience.

However, I'm still pretty "wowed" by the output from something this small.:thumbup: