The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

P

pisquano

David: Thanks! :D Have fun with yours.

Here's a couple more. The third is a processed RAW crop from the fourth unprocessed image.

RX100; 10.4mm; 1/160s @ f/5.6; ISO 125

RX100; 10.4mm; 1/400s @ f/5.6; ISO 125

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
hi everyone. I am a new member and just bought myself a new RX100.
can I ask which of the rather wonderful pictures (including but not only the ones above here) I am seeing in this thread have also been tweaked (colours, white balance etc), in post? I haven't been able to get anywhere close to the results I am seeing

any clarification would be appreciated

P

pisquano

Hi all, Picked up the camera about 5 days ago, and it's quite a fantastic companion. Here are a few...from the past few...

same as my previous question. have these pictures being tweaked in post, especially saturation?

P

pisquano

A mixed lot from today. The first four were RAW processed in RPP (IDC crashed after 28 of 32 images). The rest were jpegs from the camera.

RX100; 36.28mm; 1/100s @ f/4.9; ISO 800

RX100; 30.5mm; 1/2000s @ f/4.5; ISO 200

RX100; 37.1mm; 1/125s @ f/4.9; ISO 2500

RX100; 24.4mm; 1/80s @ f/4; ISO 800

RX100; 10.4.mm; 1/800s @ f/6.3; ISO 125

RX100; 10.4mm; 1/1000s @ f/1.8; ISO 125

RX100; 10.4mm; 1/800s @ f/1.8; ISO 125

RX100; 10.4mm; 1/320s @ f/5.6; ISO 125

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
and these ones too.... sorry for repeating myself, but I find the portrait here fantastic!!!

tbhv55

hi everyone. I am a new member and just bought myself a new RX100.
can I ask which of the rather wonderful pictures (including but not only the ones above here) I am seeing in this thread have also been tweaked (colours, white balance etc), in post? I haven't been able to get anywhere close to the results I am seeing

any clarification would be appreciated
I'm afraid that I don't have any sensible suggestions for you, but I would say that I, too, find it almost impossible to get these vivid colours... out of ANY camera! However, I put this down to the fact that I'm in the UK, and the sun seems to have permanently deserted this country :rolleyes:. We haven't had a summer worthy of the name for about six or seven years. The trouble is that trying make up for the poor light by boosting everything in PP rarely looks convincing.

You didn't indicate your location, but I notice that you use the English spelling of "colour"; does this mean that you're in the UK too? If so, perhaps that's your problem...:(

P

pisquano

I'm afraid that I don't have any sensible suggestions for you, but I would say that I, too, find it almost impossible to get these vivid colours... out of ANY camera! However, I put this down to the fact that I'm in the UK, and the sun seems to have permanently deserted this country :rolleyes:. We haven't had a summer worthy of the name for about six or seven years. The trouble is that trying make up for the poor light by boosting everything in PP rarely looks convincing.

You didn't indicate your location, but I notice that you use the English spelling of "colour"; does this mean that you're in the UK too? If so, perhaps that's your problem...:(
well...sure mate... I live in London :)
anyway...it's still incredible if you see that last closeup of the red flower...that's a jpeg...has it been over-saturated in post you think?

P

pisquano

sure... I am in London! :)
but this last picture of the flower must be over-saturated in post mustn't it?

tbhv55

sure... I am in London! :)
but this last picture of the flower must be over-saturated in post mustn't it?
I have to admit that I didn't notice the last photo - that one certainly looks as though it was boosted in post. That said, a lot of the other images do look as though they were shot in some good light... and good light is what has been sadly lacking (in my part of the UK, at least) for a very long time [grumble over;)]. I believe that the SE has fared better in this respect?

P

pisquano

but look at the portrait of the man with glasses....that's really good!
I guess I was humbly suggesting posters could if possible specify if the pics they post have been cropped and/or post-processed, as otherwise newbies like me are under the impression that some miracles are possible here :)
SE is really dull, mate. here is 1 degree, and terrible flat light.

tbhv55

but look at the portrait of the man with glasses....that's really good!
I agree - excellent shooting/camera set-up/PP. Not sure which of these elements is most responsible for the quality of the shot... perhaps m_driscoll will chip in if/when he sees your questions, and divulge his technique. I'd like to learn something about it too! I've just noticed that Raw processing was done using RPP. That's a Mac application so I've never used it (I'm on Windows). I've seen plenty of positive comments about it, though.

So the weather in the SE is no better than in the SW... flippin' dreary, isn't it? :(

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Thanks for the likes!

Haven't been out much recently so these are from last year.

1st is cropped but virtually soooc. 2nd is fiddled with ColEfex.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hi, That's the Royal West of England Academy of Art in Bristol.

There was an exhibition of Animals in Art, and the chickens are to publicise that.

I call the statue a philosopher because the book he is holding is entitled "Discourses", and I have decided he looks like a young Kierkegaard!

Inside I managed to snap a man pushing a wheelbarrow past a bronze willy!:eek: NSFW.

tbhv55

..these 2 with (obviously) Silver Efex..
Very nice B&Ws (and the preceding colour shots are good too):thumbup:. You're getting very good results from Silver Efex... I couldn't get on with it when I tried the time-limited trial version. I certainly wasn't getting such distinctive results as you're producing.

BTW, where was the second shot taken?

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Ta, I enjoy silver efex a lot. I don't use the pre-sets but just make it up as I go along!

Those two pics were shot in Frome.

This one in Bath.

tbhv55

I don't use the pre-sets but just make it up as I go along!
I attempted this when I used the trial, but I guess I didn't try hard enough!

Those two pics were shot in Frome.
Thanks - initially, I'd thought that I recognised the scene, but since I haven't been to Frome for many years, I very much doubt that I could have recognised it, after all.

This one in Bath.
That's nice, too. You seem to have an endless supply of good shots...! :toocool: :D