The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

tbhv55

Black and White and Square.
Another nice set. B&W can be a very satisfying type of photography.

BTW, it looks as though you've been out with the camera just a couple of streets away from where I was born, about three hundred years ago...:D

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Another nice set. B&W can be a very satisfying type of photography.

BTW, it looks as though you've been out with the camera just a couple of streets away from where I was born, about three hundred years ago...:D
Thanks Tim, Yes b/w is fun. Those were done using the in camera Rich-tone Mono mode.

So were you born in Third Avenue. I've only been in this area for 5 years.

Here some close ups-with Nik Col Efex.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
.. more fun watercolour from a train journey to Stroud.

Here and there I can see with some of these little hints of Edward Hopper.:)

tbhv55

.. more fun watercolour from a train journey to Stroud.

Here and there I can see with some of these little hints of Edward Hopper.:)
Indeed... and you'd need only to find a cafe sporting a suitable shop frontage, with some late-night customers dressed in 1940s attire, and you'd be taking it well beyond "hints"...;):D

Actually, I do like the effect, but I'd like it more if there were control settings. I find it to be too much in most of the shots that I've tried, and I've been left wishing that I could scale it back to say 50%, or even a little lower. I suppose I should just take a normal shot, and try manipulating it in PP to get a similar effect. Perhaps I'll work on that.:)

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Indeed... and you'd need only to find a cafe sporting a suitable shop frontage, with some late-night customers dressed in 1940s attire, and you'd be taking it well beyond "hints"...;):D

Actually, I do like the effect, but I'd like it more if there were control settings. I find it to be too much in most of the shots that I've tried, and I've been left wishing that I could scale it back to say 50%, or even a little lower. I suppose I should just take a normal shot, and try manipulating it in PP to get a similar effect. Perhaps I'll work on that.:)
I agree I also wish there were some control settings to reduce the watercolour effect a bit.

In the meantime I shall keep looking for the all-night alienation cafe on Desolation Row for that genuine Hopper look.

Here's one more pic for the "A la Recherche..." collection;).

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
That place looks a little "Temps Perdu"! :D It would be wonderful if it were still open... is it?
No such luck. The notice in the window says it closed on Wednesday 22nd March, so it may well have been this year.

You'll have to get your Olivetti ribbons elsewhere.:)

tbhv55

No such luck. The notice in the window says it closed on Wednesday 22nd March, so it may well have been this year.

You'll have to get your Olivetti ribbons elsewhere.:)
Must have been 2006... that was the last year in which 22nd March fell on a Wednesday. Pity. :(

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Thank you for various 'likes':clap:.

Some simple close ups. It seems there is different new growth from day to day at the moment.

It is possible to crop a fair amount and use higher ASA with this camera.

I still shoot jpeg.

Cheers,

Gandolfi.

tbhv55

It is possible to crop a fair amount and use higher ASA with this camera.
Yes, this little Sony continues to amaze me... while my 5D and assorted lenses sit almost unused. I have fallen to wondering just why I bother to keep them. :confused:

I still shoot jpeg.
I must admit that I still shoot RAW+Jpeg (as a kind of insurance policy), but the Jpeg is almost always perfectly good. Just occasionally, the Raw file helps recover a poor exposure, but in truth, the Raws are largely redundant.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
I just worked out the power/weight ratio of this camera to be 83,333 pixels per gram.

These flower pics are only about a fifth or so of the original image area.