The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

tbhv55

Hi Kuvvy,
Welcome... nice to see you venturing over here from RFF.:) I've always enjoyed viewing your work over there.

It's good to see that you're still using the RX100 - and to good effect! Thanks for posting.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Some Point'n'Shoot of objects in glass cases at Bristol Museum and Art Gallery.
RX100 Mk1 still fit for purpose.

tbhv55

The RX100 is superb for these situations! Small, silent, and great quality. :thumbup:

I like all of these photos, but in particular, the first one of the latter post. The reflections do it for me...

Glad you're still using the RX100... do you have plans to get the Mk3?

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Thanks Tim, and others for some 'likes'.
No not really thinking about the Mk3; wouldn't make that much difference to me, and I don't need an articulating screen for I need to keep in trim by crouching down with bended knee occasionally:D
I am however waiting to see what the new Panasonic LX100 is like when it supposedly comes out later in the month.
Here is some well known graffiti in Bristol.
Cheers,
Gandolfi.

tbhv55

I don't need an articulating screen for I need to keep in trim by crouching down with bended knee occasionally:D
:ROTFL: How familiar I am with this scenario!:rolleyes: In making that point, you've almost stopped me from considering the Mk3! However, the EVF is still tempting...;)

I haven't seen much information on the LX100. In theory it should be good... but somehow the idea hasn't 'grabbed' me yet. :confused: Maybe all will become clear when the specs are released.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Fixed zoom with Four Thirds sensor and 4K recording (it says here) with a couple of useful function buttons: one prepares poached egg on toast and the other will iron your morning newspaper.

tbhv55

a couple of useful function buttons: one prepares poached egg on toast and the other will iron your morning newspaper.
:D That might have been handy - except that we don't get a newspaper...

I don't suppose that - in the manner of so many multi-function devices these days - they thought to include some kind of image-making capability as well...? ;)

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Great little cameras, whichever version. Nice pic.
Brings to mind that scene in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance when Phaedrus asks his students to write a 500 word essay on the US of A. One student can't get started so is told to narrow it down to her home town (Bozeman). She still can't get started and is told to narrow it down to the street outside, and when she still can think of nothing to write the increasingly frustrated Professor tells her to concentrate on the building opposite, Bozeman's Opera House. "Start with the upper left-hand brick" she is told.;)
Whenever my tiny brain is stuck on something I think of this.
This isn't by any chance a pic of Bozeman's Opera House, is it?

dbogdan

Ha, I never gave it a thought. I was bouncing around and had been diverted for road work as I came to see the back of this building. I was a bit outside of the arts area amongst some old hotels....I never gave it a second thought, it just looked cool. You've peaked my curiosity though, and from the layout and level access points, I plan on taking a closer look.... Stay tuned.:watch:
I'm still gonna bet that it isn't the Bozeman Opera House though��

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
db,
I think I may have been confusing the issue.
The Bozeman I am talking about (the one that is mentioned in the book) is in Montana!!
I have just googled 'bozeman opera house' and was led to a site (whatwasthere.com) featuring old photos of Bozeman (taken on sheet film by the look of it).
One of these is indeed a pic of the side of the opera house and amazingly is not entirely dissimilar to your pic of downtown Detroit. It's built with many bricks ( the top left hand brick is particularly elegant;)) and has a similar external structure to your pic (what are they? Fire escapes I presume) but has more windows than your pic.
Apparently Bozeman Opera House was knocked down in the mid-sixties.
The pic to which I refer has some lovely old American cars featured, the long late fifties models from an age when bigger was better!!
So that's all I have to say on the matter:eek:, would still like to know what your building is if you ever find out.
Cheers for now,
Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
This is the old Birnbeck Pier at Weston Super Mare, now rather dilapidated.
What I like about these is how lovely the 16:9 format is:D