The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX100 - getting started

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Cindy, Thanks.

The small blob you see in top LH corner of this pic has taken up permanent residence in my cam, and tho' it more or less disappears in 16.9 format I am now fed up with it! I tried dis-lodging it and hoovering it out:eek: and now it has to go.
I almost up-graded to the Mk4 and then read of a maybe interesting Panasonic TZ100 due in March, so dither dither!

Gandolfi.

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Oh, no, it's a text message from Caesar..... he wants to go water-skiing tomorrow,
and he also says your knickers are showing.....

dbogdan

Cindy, Thanks.

The small blob you see in top LH corner of this pic has taken up permanent residence in my cam, and tho' it more or less disappears in 16.9 format I am now fed up with it! I tried dis-lodging it and hoovering it out:eek: and now it has to go.
I almost up-graded to the Mk4 and then read of a maybe interesting Panasonic TZ100 due in March, so dither dither!

Gandolfi.
Wow, thanks for the heads up! I've been happy with the MK2, waiting for Sony to due just that. The 24-70 on both 3and4 was just to restrictive for my needs ... This looks like it just may be the ticket.
db

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Wow, thanks for the heads up! I've been happy with the MK2, waiting for Sony to due just that. The 24-70 on both 3and4 was just to restrictive for my needs ... This looks like it just may be the ticket.
db
Yes it looks quite interesting doesn't it.
The blob on my camera apparently needs over£150 to repair, (which is not far off the price of a new Mk1), so as I badly need a camera to preserve my sanity, I think I will be getting a Mk3 RX100 for now.
It will be interesting to see how the new Panasonic turns out-I certainly like the zoom range and the camera is still quite small.

Here 3 more pics.
The airport tailor at Schiphol.
Vineyards at San Gimignano.
Day for night near Bath.

tbhv55

Yes it looks quite interesting doesn't it.
The blob on my camera apparently needs over£150 to repair, (which is not far off the price of a new Mk1), so as I badly need a camera to preserve my sanity, I think I will be getting a Mk3 RX100 for now.
It will be interesting to see how the new Panasonic turns out-I certainly like the zoom range and the camera is still quite small.

Here 3 more pics.
The airport tailor at Schiphol.
Vineyards at San Gimignano.
Day for night near Bath.
Sorry to hear about your RX100 :( - you've certainly had sterling service from it over the past few years, producing many excellent images. (Nothing to do with the photographer, of course! ;))

I'd be interested to know your thoughts on the Mk3 when you have had the chance to assess it. I have thought about 'upgrading', but I'm not yet convinced that - for my purposes - it would actually be an upgrade. For me, the Mk1 is just so good, that it's hard to imagine relinquishing it, until forced to do so by circumstances... as you have now been.

I agree that the Panasonic looks interesting too, so if you learn anything about that, I'd be interested to hear it! Apologies for my undisguised attempt to use you as a vicarious camera research service... :D

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Hi Tim,
I'm in Vienna! putting the Mk3 through its paces for you. I'm certainly enjoying using it, and may have some nice snaps next week.

tbhv55

Hi Tim,
I'm in Vienna! putting the Mk3 through its paces for you. I'm certainly enjoying using it, and may have some nice snaps next week.
Very nice, too! I'm envious of your holiday location. A great place for photography, I would imagine. :thumbup:

I'm also looking forward to hearing about the Mk3 - although I fear that your 'report' might cost me some money...! ;)

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Very nice, too! I'm envious of your holiday location. A great place for photography, I would imagine. :thumbup:

I'm also looking forward to hearing about the Mk3 - although I fear that your 'report' might cost me some money...! ;)
Well you said you really like the Mk1 and it is sufficient for what you want.....and so it is.
I've no idea how much better the new sensor is supposed to be, but I think images are better now somehow straight out of the camera and require less effort in the processing to make them 'nice' enough for me. But that won't stop me from over-processing them:ROTFL:
I like the 24mm wideness and the tilt screen, which I discover is not just for taking pics at ground level but waist level too, and for shooting o'er head. The pop up finder is a crisper image that I thought it would be and probably will get more use in high summer.
I put on the Sony semi hard screen protector. Previous I did not use one and the edge of the screen had started to degrade.
Also easier to hold one handed, don't know why, maybe 'cause a little thicker.
70mm long end is a tad short, but there are so many lovely little pixie pixels that ca ne fait rien. Where's a good cedilla when you want one. Did you notice that the French can no longer tell their circumflex from their oignon!
Vienna was great, Art and Architecture and ice skating and coffee houses, Lippizanner horses, Schloss and markets. Just stuff, you know.
There is a thread for the Mk3 and I'm going to start posting there and other places.

tbhv55

Many thanks for so selflessly spending time in wonderful locations to bring us your report on the MkIII :rolleyes: ;) Very interesting, and I have to admit that it has (slightly) piqued my interest. I might go for the upgrade, but I'll have a think about it first.

Where's a good cedilla when you want one. Did you notice that the French can no longer tell their circumflex from their oignon!
:LOL: :LOL: They lost interest in some of their accent marks some time ago, n'est-ce pas? And after I put so much effort into learning all that stuff, too!

Vienna was great, Art and Architecture and ice skating and coffee houses, Lippizanner horses, Schloss and markets.
I'm green with envy...:grin:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
very nice Bokeh gandolfi. Then you say you like to over process, do you do work with the RAW or the JPG?
Mazor,

That was just manual focus wound round to about 2ft distance then wait for all the cars to put on their brakes and stop!
I shoot only JPG. For simplistic reasons.

I said I thought I over process things but maybe I just like to drift away from reality:) I've got an older version of Lightroom and I go from there to Nik b/w or Nik ColEfex. Also I generally like to enclose my snaps in a border.

One can just do so many things to alter an image these days merely by sliding sliders.

Your 'phone snaps are always pretty impressive:thumbup:

gandolfi

Subscriber Member
Many thanks for so selflessly spending time in wonderful locations to bring us your report on the MkIII :rolleyes: ;) Very interesting, and I have to admit that it has (slightly) piqued my interest. I might go for the upgrade, but I'll have a think about it first.

:LOL: :LOL: They lost interest in some of their accent marks some time ago, n'est-ce pas? And after I put so much effort into learning all that stuff, too!

I'm green with envy...:grin:
If you wish me to test anything else just send a 'plane ticket and a small donation to my account at the Bank at the End of the Universe.

Personally I think it all started to go downhill when the Gauloise and the Pissoir began to disappear.

You could just keep your Mk1 and put the savings toward a few days in Vienna:ROTFL:

Sorry I can't 'multi quote' (multi tasking is hard enough for me!)