The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G10 Southern Plantation

Joan

Today we were supposed to take a drive down to the coast, but the weather looked "iffy," so we decided to go in the opposite direction and went up north and spent the afternoon touring a Georgia plantation.

The tour begins at the entrance to the stables: (yes, the horses there live better than most humans!)

View attachment 8850

One happy resident in the paddock

View attachment 8851

Garden house, formal beds are everywhere, but this really isn't the best time of year for flowers other than some lovely camelias.

View attachment 8852

Pebble Hill Plantation main house, rebuilt after a fire in 1935. It is HUGE, much larger than this photo would lead you to believe. It was too late in the day to spend the extra $20 to tour the inside, will go back to see that another day. (No photography allowed inside anyway :( )

View attachment 8853

Family cemetery, resting place for several members of the original owner's family, and beloved pet dogs

View attachment 8854

I am sick of messing with DPP, so all of these are super fine jpegs, some cropping and PP in LightZone. G10 did a good job IMO, especially considering the sickly overcast skies.

Rawfa

You've got some nice texture and latitude going on. How do you like the G10 so far? The other day I had it on my hand and I didn't find it very "pocketable"...it's solid like a tank though.

helenhill

Such a FAB Series Joan
Looks Great
You & the G10 work MAGIC
the Main House is Lovely...makes me want to move Down South and write one of those Steamy Southern Novels :ROTFL:
and the shot coupled with the carriage is Quaint
Bravo....:salute:
Cheers-H

A

asabet

Beautiful work Joan! I especially like the photograph of the family cemetery.

N

nei1

Nice work Joan,youre helping to prove that the G10 appears to be the best of the current crop of small sensor cameras.

Rawfa

I have to say I'm impressed with the G10's latitude. Some of those photos look like HDR. Would you care to share your post treatment?

Joan

Thanks everyone for the kind comments! Sorry for not replying sooner, it's been a hell of a week, my husband went to the hospital via ambulance Monday night and this is the first chance I've had to sit at the computer for a bit. He is starting to recover from some of the problems, but remains there for more tests and probably surgery next week.

Rawfa, to answer re: the G10 and processing: for this series I was shooting jpegs and then processed them in LightZone. The "HDR look" may result from my inexpert use of the "relight" tool in that program to bring down highlights and bring up shadows a bit. The G10 does tend towards overexposure, so I've got some clipped highlights in some of these despite trying to meter for the brightest area of the scene. RAW is better for highlight recovery, but the only way to work on the files outside of Canon's DPP is to save as a 50MB tiff file. Bogs my Mac down too much! Can't wait for either LightZone or Aperture to have G10 support.