The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sorry RX100 - Road Kill Rx - Cremation or Burial?

Matix

My cameras usually last pretty well, I try to look after them and I still have my first digital camera, a Sony DSC-S75 3.1mp, and it still works perfectly.

What is it with modern cameras that they do not stand up to to a drop when in a padded camera bag, it only dropped 4 ft or so.... before being attacked by a few trucks, and cars... sigh!! Now the rest of the story.

Loading my car up this morning at 5am in the dark, heading to work.... put my coffee and the RX100 on the top of the car to load the rest into the back seat... picked up my coffee, headed out the gate, up the road and onto the freeway... 35km and 25 minutes later.... where is the camera???

Phoned home, my wife looked on the driveway, the gutter by the gate.. then drove up about 300 yard and there it was... who knows how many vehicles nailed it... it is a busy road and a lot of light tradesman trucks and cars use it.

Well, she called me... and told me, I felt better actually... rather than some person found and kept it I guess.......

Here it is... the case was open and it was rather sad looking... BUT THE DAMN BATTERY DOOR WAS STILL IN GOOD SHAPE, SO STOP WHINING ABOUT THE BATTERY DOOR DAMMIT!!!

Case and first look.. shot with the faithful old LX5... (bet it was laughing, Kamera Karma)

All the bits spread out... a disassembly series?

Roadkill Sony RX-100

If only I had put on a screen protector...

No longer pocket size, but palm size....

The flash capacitors

So how big is the sensor really? and does it need a wet clean?

How to turn off the Steady Shot.. now I can use a tripod...

Kudos to Sony, we need have no fear that the Battery Door nor Flash Mechanism will fail.... the metal case however fails under the weight of a Mack Truck!

Sensory Deprivation.... take a good look folks, it is a really tough way to get to see this.

Like I said, the darn door looks like new, both sides... as I said, no more whining.

Pocket Size... if you have a lot of pockets, and patience when you want a quick image capture.

So, at the end of the day... a Sony RX100 will not stand 45 min or so on a busy road in a soft case, but the battery door and flash mechanism can handle it.

I can see the funny side of this, repeat that 30 times or so.. and I may believe it, and my insurance company will replace the camera, bag and SD card which could not be found.

Moral of the story, coffee causes damage to cameras.......

Phil

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Phil: that's what I call working through grief. Thanks for sharing, and I hope the insurance does replace it. Good luck, KL

M

michaelnel

Warranty repair? That thing is clearly defective, the way it exploded like that.

Matix

Warranty repair? That thing is clearly defective, the way it exploded like that.
I have been told several times to box it up and send it to Sony for warranty repair... not sure if they have a good sense of humor in this area.

Phil

Matix

Phil: that's what I call working through grief. Thanks for sharing, and I hope the insurance does replace it. Good luck, KL
Thanks Kit, paperwork is done, deductable paid, just have to wait for the cheque. What a relief that was....

Phil

Tim

This is why I never give my cameras names. :scry:

And always carry a spare camera, imagine being on top of Mt Everest and having it run over! :ROTFL:

Question is, did you like it enough to buy another one the same?

Matix

This is why I never give my cameras names. :scry:

And always carry a spare camera, imagine being on top of Mt Everest and having it run over! :ROTFL:

Question is, did you like it enough to buy another one the same?
Actually yes, it does a fine imaging job... if it had the ergonomics of the LX3/5, I would be a really happy camper.... we will see how it goes with the Franiec grip I have now, waiting for the new camera to be in my hand.

Phil

mazor

sad sad matrix! Condolences man! keep strong, our hearts go out to you, and hope your next Rx100 will have a longer life.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
Should be part of all test reports.
I want to see what happens to a D800 and a DF with IQ180.