The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

RX100 vs GRD IV ?

Thorkil

The Sony RX100 has the horsepower, but lacks the user-friendly handling it seems. And the Ricoh GRD IV seems to be the so-called enthusiast camera, where handling is intuitive and very user-friendly.
The IQ in the RX seems to be rather good, so do the ISO-ability, at twice the MP-sensor-size.
But if you don’t have to print larger than 10”x15”(and who does honestly, and how often?) that might be an non-issue or what?
Will the RX end up collecting dust as Panasonic’s etc. etc. does? Will the enthusiasm decline because of that unfriendly bottoms-fiddling, and therefore a lacking mental connection, that will make it to the second choice after a while and just around the corner?
People seem to have strong and long-lasting sympathy for their GRD IV. Will the RX keep its place in peoples mind after a long while, despite or of the reason of the apparently splendid Image quality???? Or would you rather grab a more beloved GRD rushing out of the door? Or?
Please, I just need some little “Buying-Guide”-advice and perhaps some hardcore experience :)
Best and thanks.
Thorkil

CharlesK

There are so many others that are better qualified for advice, but my take from a very brief period, is that the RX100 is small, very ergonomic and it is so easy to use. Having a M9 and M9-P, I looked at the options of the OM-D, tried the NEX-5, but the ease of carry one very simple camera is very important for me. It means that I have the ability to take shots, where otherwise you would have a camera with you. It is a camera that I love to use, and it will be a great companion to my M9's :)

Last edited:

Thorkil

Thank you Charles!
Yes it looks promising, and it should be a pocket-camera for real, not in the belt, and IQ looks very good. And one never knows when a Ricoh GRD V will be on the market.
Best Thorkil

Photolife2010

I had the options of picking up a RX100 and a GRD IV. I ended up getting the GRD IV. To me the GRD is a little more special and the RX100 feels like another point and shoot (even though it has the biggest sensor among all). The handling of the GRD is extremely simple and intuitive. No more zoom. Just turn it on and shoot. It feels like a Leica M in point and shoot format. After the RX100, I am sure there will be more 1" sensor ps cameras from other manufactures. Hopefully GRD V will also have a 1" or bigger sensor!

Thorkil

Thank you!
That's also the direction that I'm tending to go.
"Growing up" = being a little elder by the years, one know, and one can look at all those investments that are collecting dust at the shelf. And the experience here are that a camera just have to be a little bit annoying to be left alone, so its very important that things are functioning in an easy, friendly and fluid way, else you a growing uninterested upon it, and then you just in a while don't care using it. The attachment, the attraction, the mental connection get lost. Same here about M-feeling, the M6 was the best camera-life I had, before the world went wrong(/digital:eek:). And I can't afford a M9/10.
But I'm very, very impressed by the Sigma DP2 Merril (see other camera's thread), and will go for a DP1 Merril I think, keep my GXR+M-module + wait for at GRDV(at least to Photokina) perhaps, if its coming soon, as the always-carry-with-me camera, else a the GRDIV. The 800E might go.
Best
Thorkil

I have looked for a P&S for some time now. The GRD IV is nearly perfect with one exception, the 28mm equivalent lens (I don't need video capability). If it had something in the 35-40mm equivalent focal length range, I would buy it in a second.

Thorkil

:)
funny, I'm thinking its a bit too wide, then you perhaps should consider the Sigma DP2 Merrill, but that isn't just such a small pocket camera, and perhaps a bit more difficult(?), or buy the GRDIV anyway, and get used to, just stepping a little forward, or see if the GRD V comes out on Photokina.
best
Thorkil

The Sony RX100 has the horsepower, but lacks the user-friendly handling it seems. And the Ricoh GRD IV seems to be the so-called enthusiast camera, where handling is intuitive and very user-friendly.
Having owned both (well, at least the GRD II which shares that same nice UI), I don't think the RX100 lacks user friendly handling. Certainly, the GRD is more comfortable in the hand and the UI is great but the Sony UI is awesome in its own right (much better than the NEX menu system).

Add a grip or case to the RX100 and physical handling becomes a wash, with the RX100 trumping in many other aspects - most importantly IQ.

Thorkil

Having owned both (well, at least the GRD II which shares that same nice UI), I don't think the RX100 lacks user friendly handling. Certainly, the GRD is more comfortable in the hand and the UI is great but the Sony UI is awesome in its own right (much better than the NEX menu system).

Add a grip or case to the RX100 and physical handling becomes a wash, with the RX100 trumping in many other aspects - most importantly IQ.
Thank you for your answer!
Right now I have been blown away by the Sigma DP2 Merril, and Quentin do something with those pictures that makes them shine in an extraordinary way(hope I can do just 70% with C1 when its updated), so the upcoming PD1Merrill might be my main-camera and the GRDV or IV might be my future pocket-camera, I have to beware of just the smallest difficulties in the process, because I've registered that I just then leave it alone, a mental weak-spot, but though a fact I have to live an deal with. Therefore it will be the GRD because I have taken a lot of pictures with the GXR system, and they are just nearby all rather good, almost without pp.
+ I'm amazed by the pictures from Streetshooter (see Philly Streets) with the GRDIV. But I'm also impressed by all those pic's from the RX100 I must admit, but thinking of my LX3 it only served me in a too short period(not fair I know, but don't know why), then collected dust. I'm afraid the RX100 would go the same way.
And somehow I have a guess, that right now, the closest thing to my originally M-feeling (M6) in fact might be a GRDIV/V (can’t afford a M9 or M10 right now).
And a DP1 Merrill will be the cheapest and best short-cut to my old Hassy-SWC-feeling(almost).
Best
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member

Agreed totally. I find the RX100 to have a different but interesting interface. It's not intuitive to me yet but only because lack of memorization time. In a week or so, it's be there. The GRD4 of course well....no words needed.

Thorkil

Hi Don
I woun't ask you for describing the the inner soul for the two cameras, not yet, its too early. People who get in love are always somewhat out of mental reach for a certain period... and thereafter they always slowly are being able to evaluate more objective looking back over their shoulders. The period for gear and cars are always somewhat shorter, but sometimes it also can have a long lasting period in a peculiar way, and then its always funny to describe.
Then people can pick up some strange words.
Until then
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Hi Don
I woun't ask you for describing the the inner soul for the two cameras, not yet, its too early. People who get in love are always somewhat out of mental reach for a certain period... and thereafter they always slowly are being able to evaluate more objective looking back over their shoulders. The period for gear and cars are always somewhat shorter, but sometimes it also can have a long lasting period in a peculiar way, and then its always funny to describe.
Then people can pick up some strange words.
Until then
Thorkil
Good question Thorkil.
It's easy for me to sum up a camera very fast as I never fall in love with any of them. This is not to say that I am incapable of loving a camera, I am. The GRD3 & 4 are living proof.

The RX100 is an odd duck. What seems to happen is that one reads all the good hype, then checks out the images and then gets the camera.
I really took my time and didn't read a single review. Instead I studied the users with the camera.

So, it's easy to get hypnotized by the image quality. It is stunning in most cases. People get the camera based on IQ and then really have issues with the interface. The UI is where the camera either makes it or goes to eBay. Almost any decent camera today gives nice IQ.

How to compare the RX100 and the GRD4? Ya can't. It's impossible because first off, the Ricoh has no Zoom and the Sony can't come close to the UI on the Ricoh.

What is most important for me is not what a camera can do but what I can do with a camera. The Ricoh provides a freedom unmatched by almost all cameras. It's a gem, always and always will be.

The Sony has some interesting options for a setup. It requires patience and careful study of what you need from the camera.
After all is said and done, both have their places. Fortunately for me, both have their place with me, side by side and I don't need a camera bag.

How sweet it is........

Thorkil

Hi Don allow me to sum up (although sort of at your behalf..:))
The Ricoh GRD IV is still the ultimate choice, for the outmost eye-mind-to-hand-picture connection, inspired, anarchistic, and therefore also sort of more gifted/exquisite pictures.
But perhaps you also later on might take a look at the Sigma DP1 Merrill(when it arrives), as a supplement, see Quentins DP2M thread, for the more calm, slow and careful pictures with this very special rendering?
best
Thorkil

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Hi Don allow me to sum up (although sort of at your behalf..:))
The Ricoh GRD IV is still the ultimate choice, for the outmost eye-mind-to-hand-picture connection, inspired, anarchistic, and therefore also sort of more gifted/exquisite pictures.
But perhaps you also later on might take a look at the Sigma DP1 Merrill(when it arrives), as a supplement, see Quentins DP2M thread, for the more calm, slow and careful pictures with this very special rendering?
best
Thorkil
oh, the Sigma Syndrome. Yes, very interesting cameras. I've used both the DP1s and the DP2s. They are nice and what I like most about them is those really cool robotic sounds. They do produce wonderful images but for me it's back to reality.
The GRD4 is what I prefer.

Thorkil

oh, the Sigma Syndrome. Yes, very interesting cameras. I've used both the DP1s and the DP2s. They are nice and what I like most about them is those really cool robotic sounds. They do produce wonderful images but for me it's back to reality.
The GRD4 is what I prefer.
:)... Don, for my part, I think, it's because that I a long time ago "got spoiled" by the Hasselblad P&S camera, the SWC (still loves it but dont use it)(apart from no lightmeter, but if one read the included slipper from the Velvia-film, you know sun, cloudy etc., surprise, it could work) so being able to getting close to that sort of sharpnes/IQ again is just so alarming teasing my sweat memory's. Have to have it together with a GRD IV or V, and the 800E will finance it. Bye, bye Nikon(have had one all my life, but..).
Thorkil