The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Flash compensation for the GX100 (qu. to Sean or others)

D

Drafi

I just bought a GX100 and noticed it does not have flash compensation (only something called soft flash, which is not enough).

Sean or someone who has connections to Ricoh: Do you think they could consider doing this kind of upgrade in the near future or could you recommend it to them? (Maybe you have already done so.) I think it is a basic feature for this class of camera and I am missing it very much.

D

Drafi

By "upgrade" I am thinking of a firmware upgrade like they did for the GRD1.

W

wbrandsma

I hope Ricoh engineers and their marketing department read this forum as well. I also hope they can add flash compensation to the GX100 with a new firmware upgrade. I still hope/believe a lot can be added to this cam with new firmware. Look at the recent firmware upgrades for the GRD1.
Flash compensation and a new B&W photographing modes with new optional red, green, blue and purple color filters would be a perfect addition the GX100 as well.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Drafi,

If you send me a reminder PM after the holidays, I'll talk to Ricoh about this.

Cheers,

Sean

P

pcheywood

If I may add to this thread, I would like to see a way to fire an external flash whilst retaining use of the EVF. A pc socket would of been great (though probably not possible on an existing body), some sort of accessory cord may be possible though?

Paul.

D

Drafi

Sean, thank you for your reply and that you want to talk to Ricoh. I am not sure I understand "PM", but I'll send another post after Christmas and New Year (that's what you mean, I believe).
Have a good holyday, merry Christmas and slide well into the New Year, as the Germans say.

D

David Paul Carr

Yes, definitely a PC socket!
On the GRD2 I'm sure it would be very easy to build one into a viewfinder (socket on the left hand side, for example, connected through the inside of the finder casing to the hotshoe sync terminal).
And while we are on possible firmware improvements, how about a "marching ants" highlight warning when you are adjusting the exposure manually? Olympus had this on the C7070 and 8080 cameras (others as well, perhaps). It was very difficult to get the exposure wrong with that...

7ian7

Flash Exposure Comp! Ra Ra Ra!

The GX100 has TERRIBLE flash implementation.

I am typically forced to use exposure compensation

to get what I want ... by two stops. It can look good,

but on the fly, it's a hassle. Canon Elphs stuck up

in people's faces always look great, a no-brainer.

And yes, no access to external flash when using the

EVF is a disappointment, and a surprising oversight.

That said, I've gotten great results w/ a Pocket Wizard

/ Profoto combo, and also w/ those little cheap flash

triggers from Hong Kong, too, atop the GX100. So

I'm very happy for that hot shoe.

L

lucridders

We have much more quie stupid things when working with the GX100. Is not only the flash. Take the system they use for adapterhood. A bajonet system = using it frequently and it starts to wobble by easely 1mm (measured at the end of he wide angle lens).
And regarding software, as this is a cam you need to do adjustments all the time they could in my opinion allow to assign more items that you can use when pushing the adj. button. I will stop with this, as you can go on for a whole A4 with items that could have done to make it a cam worth his money.