The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

a visit to the rose garden

Wayne, I feel this last one lacks some of the dreamy quality that the others in the series have. It´s beautiful too, but a bit too "insistent" (I can´t find a better way to put it, but I think you see what I mean).

Btw (not that it really matters), are you shooting through some kind of filter, or is it done in post processing?

smokysun

hi per,
i agree with you on the last one. it was darker in the original than the others. needed to lighten it up at the beginning. glad you caught it. i wasn't happy with it. no, no filter. it's in the processing. the digilux 2 plus the elpro close-up lens was the kit.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

the d2 is a really fun camera to use, and along with the sony 717, it gives a very distinctive footprint. both have great lenses.

Last edited:

smokysun

ps. this brings up an interesting problem. how do you re-capture the original impulse? the first ones i worked on late in the evening, right in a row, and i had a certain vision. next morning i felt a different mood, bored with the project, yet i tried to force myself. good to do as much as you can while you're on a roll, i guess!

Robert Campbell

Yes, I often find returning to an image I wonder how I made such a mess of it first time round -- and then probably make a different mess !

I suppose it's how the mood takes you at the time -- there cannot be a 'right' way to do it, only variations.

O

Oxide Blu

I like the expired flowers and I like the dreamy feeling, they go well together. But I do not like all of the white space. I think a rectangular instead of round vignette would be better. Also crop closer, less white space, and extend the transition.

Very nice collection you have there. Ok, it's actually inspiring. Gonna grab the camera and head out... :)

smokysun

i'd like to recommend this book to everyone:

http://www.amazon.com/Moment-Clicks...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226554758&sr=8-1

it isn't so much in the specifics but in the general ideas that i find help. for example, if you want to be a better photographer, put something more interesting in front of the camera. such things seem self-evident, but i find myself forgetting them. a good browsing book when you're in a bookstore.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

still experimenting with the flower pictures.

Last edited:

smokysun

thanks, lili. i went back this afternoon with the xti and the sigma 50 macro. as i expected, the results totally different. the smooth tonal transitions of the dslr demand a different kind of treatment. the abrupt transition in tone of the small sensor cameras turns out to be their distinctive feature, which can be exploited for a rougher feel. here are some shots from this latter shoot for comparison.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

Rawfa

I have to say I much prefer this last since, since they are more natural looking as opposed to the overly treated initial series (forgive me for saying so, but some of them looked borderline cartoonish/rotoscoped and overshadowed the true value of the photo imho). The last picture is really amazing. It really captures the flower's sense of organic beauty.

smokysun

thanks, rafa,
i think photographers appreciate the somber and elegaic. the general public prefers to escape from time into the transcendent. photos that look like photos perhaps have by nature too much detail for this to take place. this is why most folks tend to buy reproductions of paintings and posters or photos that look like paintings.
wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. some of the most beautiful flower photography can be found in http://www.amazon.com/Flora-Photogr...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226692708&sr=8-2

smokysun

still trying other approaches. this is another couple with the xti. (for some reason i'm enjoying continuing to work with these rather than the ones taken with the d2. i think it has to do with the available transparencies of the original file.)

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

ps. are the files from the dp1 good enough to do this kind of work?

Last edited:

Joan

Beautiful stuff here, Wayne. I really like the textures that come out with the D2, the details are amazing.

smokysun

i couldn't resist trying again, once with xti and 17-40 L and again with the fuji s6000. the first were too good straight from the camera. in other words, anyone could have taken them. the most remarkable possibilities of all turned out the be the second, with the s6000. the following from the fuji. they could be processed quite differently.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited:

smokysun

it is interesting to compare 100% crops. the first from the xti and 17-40. the second from the s6000. the first obviously has much finer tonal gradations and the possibility of depth and transparency, more like slide film. on the other had the s6000 will take some rough handling, much like the d2. both of these straight from the raw files.

wayne
www.pbase.com/wwp

Last edited: