The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Canon G9 or Ricoh GX 100 for Girlfriend

Mitchell

Hi,

My girlfriend is a pro photographer. She wants a small go anywhere camera for personal stuff. But, she also needs a camera for catalogue/magazine work that she can use on horse back. Her big Nikons get beat up, and beat her up.

I like my new GRD, but she needs zoom. She'll be shooting mostly color so I'm wondering if the G9 might do better than the GX 100.

I'd love to read Sean's review first, but can't wait that long.

An M8 might fill the bill, but it's way too soon in the relationship. !:^)

Thanks for any advice.

Best,

Mitchell

Maggie O

Get her a D-Lux 3 and a 4GB San Disk eXtreme III SDHC card. If she's shooting from horseback, the Mega OIS will be a welcome feature.

Mitchell

Hi Maggie,

Thanks for your response. OIS is a good point. But, I think she'll need a optical viewfinder.

Best,

Mitchell

D

David Paul Carr

The G9's OVF is not good enough to be a reason for buying the camera: it only covers around 70% of the image and its alignment is not good.
The G9 has image stabilisation, the GX 100 too.

S

Sean_Reid

Hi Mitchell,

The file quality from the G9 is quite good but the camera suffers from focus lag (in AF) and shutter lag (even in MF with manual exposure). I haven't done comparative testing yet (still finishing with Pentax K mount lenses) but my hunch would be the GX-100 with various accessory finders.

Cheers,

Sean

Mitchell

Thanks David and Sean,

I didn't realize the G9 lagged more than the GX 100. This could be a deal breaker.

I was leaning to the G9 after talking to Tony Rose. He recommended the G9 EVEN THOUGH HE DOESN'T SELL IT because he thought the extra telephoto length would be helpful shooting horses. Tony is great. That may be the first time a retailer has told me to buy a competitor's product.

But, shutter lag could blow any horse action shots.

Best,

Mitchell

S

Sean_Reid

Thanks David and Sean,

I didn't realize the G9 lagged more than the GX 100. This could be a deal breaker.

I was leaning to the G9 after talking to Tony Rose. He recommended the G9 EVEN THOUGH HE DOESN'T SELL IT because he thought the extra telephoto length would be helpful shooting horses. Tony is great. That may be the first time a retailer has told me to buy a competitor's product.

Best,

Mitchell
Tony took a page from Santa, moonlighting at Macy's, in "Miracle on 34th Street". Tony's a good guy.

The G9's lag is a problem for fast work. Depending on the pace one works at, he or she may never notice it. I certainly do notice it and there seems to be no way to force the camera to respond instantly except by half-pressing the shutter in advance.

If your girlfriend can make those horse pictures by half-pressing the shutter release, in preparation, and then releasing the shutter, she may be fine.

Isn't it great that this forum is cross brand? We needn't worry about going off-topic with a "wrong brand" camera discussion.

Cheers,

Sean

Lili

Thanks David and Sean,

Best,

Mitchell

Tony is indeed a good guy. Your report confirms that opinion :)