The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A walk in the woods

woodyspedden

Pretty impressive for a point and shoot albeit a $1000 point and shoot. Frankly I would either work with one of the small Olympus DSLR with interchangeable lenses than spend this kind of money on a fixed lens system. The other option in my opinion is to go with a 4/3 system e.g. the new Olympus option or the Panasonic options.

JMHO

Woody

Arne Hvaring

Hi Woody,
thanks. I certainly agree with your observations if the choice has to be only one camera. Fortunately I have a few to choose from, and sometimes the causal shooting style and great DOF of a P&S is liberating. It's simply fun to use.
As you note the tecnical quality can be impressive (at low ISO!) allowing A3+ prints of quite respectable quality.
And just for the record, I paid well below $700 (now less than $600 with the resurgence of the dollar) for the camera. And my wife takes to it :), she wouldn't touch even a small DSLR, much less carry it around. So on the whole I feel it was money well spent, but of course YMMV.

httivals

BTW: I think the Canon G10 is an unbelievable point and shoot camera, for the money. After trying and liking but not loving an LX3, I figured there just wasn't a point and shoot out there that would satisfy me. Boy, was I wrong. After reading Thom Hogan's and Michael Reichman's reviews, I decided to try a G10. It's an unbelievable (to me) camera. I can't believe that a compact can have this much resolution. The lens is fantastic from wide open, edge to edge, at all focusing distances. The G10 is excellent at up to iso 200, very good at 400, and still pretty good (excellent for 8" x 10") at iso 800 if well exposed. . . . The closest equivalent in my mind is using a fuji 645 compact with iso 100 or 200 film in it, except the G10 is a whole lot more versatile. . . The g10 is a lot bigger than the LX3, but still fits in a pocket (my jacket pockets), and in all events, I found the LX3 too small to use comfortably. The g10 is just right for me though of course I wish it had the base iso performance at iso 800. Keep dreaming.