The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

He's behind you

naoip

Hi couple of pics from Tate Liverpool cafe, theres a wax President Bush with a rubic's cube sat at a table, very lifelike lol.. Cheap Samsung p & s this time (not the phone from other thread :p )

Last edited:

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
The first image is a winner. The eye travel is
beautiful. The vertical lines work great even with the
chairs. The horizontal lines work great even with the
Mans arm. His right arm supports the shape on
the back of the chairs.

Interesting play with the mans nose and the back lit
woman. His hand works with Bush's hand. The empy space
on the right supports the irritant which is the chair slightly
ajar from the table.....very nice vision.....

The second could be by any tourist......
Shooter

naoip

Thks, very nice of you to reply...

I prefer the first one as well, but the second one had his hands in the frame,i'm always overly concerned about makin sure everything's in the picture :rolleyes:

But to be honest,if either is any good,it was pure luck...

thks again

Last edited:

Lili

naoip,
I love both shots
B&W done in camera or in post?
Which model samsung?
I find my L85 VERY underrated.

naoip

Hi thkss Lili...

It's a Samsung S760 around £60...

Its not very reliable,it got wet for seconds last week and the screen played up for a while,plus battery go super quick...

I still have my Grd,but wanted something that turnt on around 40mm and cheap,the Samsung turns on around 38mm (plus as a small zoom)..Maybe next year i can afford the dp2 i'm excited about that camera..

They were b & w in camera

Lili

Hi thkss Lili...

It's a Samsung S760 around £60...

Its not very reliable,it got wet for seconds last week and the screen played up for a while,plus battery go super quick...

I still have my Grd,but wanted something that turnt on around 40mm and cheap,the Samsung turns on around 38mm (plus as a small zoom)..Maybe next year i can afford the dp2 i'm excited about that camera..

They were b & w in camera
IN-Camera B&W turned out well :)
I wanted a 40mm efl camera and got the 2006 vintage Samsung L85 for 175$ on clearance from Wolf Camera
http://www.samsungcamera.com/product/pro_view.asp?prol_uid=1131&cat_uid=10
my L85 set
http://www.flickr.com/photos/colette_noir/sets/72157607366254703/
I do not know why it was panned so bad. It is quiet, has full tho menu and button driven manual controls. The lens is very good and the noise reduction, tho not GRD level, is reasonable

Last edited:

naoip

Hi Lili wow ive seen your camera before,its a beaut !!! It as quite the following if i remember right,its super retro,kind of reminds me of the bessa l..

How do you find it compared to the Grd ??

Lili

Hi Lili wow ive seen your camera before,its a beaut !!! It as quite the following if i remember right,its super retro,kind of reminds me of the bessa l..

How do you find it compared to the Grd ??
Apples to Oranges, they each are designed for different tasks.
38-190mm zoom versus 28mm prime, etc.
The GRD is a bit slimmer and easier to carry. The Controls are beyond compare and the shutter lag, in manual focus or using half-press prefocus, very fast.
L85 is a bit chunkier and heavier build quality is superb. Its lens extension and zoom motors are dead silent, far more than the extension mechanism of the Ricoh. its LCD is awesome, bright and with a wide viewing angle. For all its brilliance, what you see is what you get. The shutter lag is very typical digicam, pre-focus or manual focus helps, but not as much as GRD. L85 makes quite nice images even at iso 400. But thats as high as it goes. It also does not have GRD bite or film-grain-like-noise, NR is more aggresive. Not watercolour though. Manual controls are button/menu driven, but are all there; including sharpness
The zoom is sharp at all lengths, even wide open at wide end;

F2.8 38mm efl iso 50
When it was new it was tough sell at 499$
Walmart had or has them at 149$
A veritable steal at that
L85 does very good video, for those that care for that.
Unusual in power zoom camera, one can zoom while recording
mike mutes for that tho
plus, until you power down, stopping and starting video makes one longer file, not many small ones.
Battery life on Samsung is wild, nearly as good as fuji f30/31.
I carry extra battery with GRD
Have not needed one for Samsung
It uses the same battery as sigma DP-1, for those that have one this could be nice.
flash on both cameras acquired taste, the GRD flip up flash is kinder to faces that fixed low one on Samsung
Both cameras can have live histograms.
GRD styling is like razor, purpose built for street work.
Retro styling of L85 is pretty, without being gaudy.
I would have preferred all matt black, but it is elegantly non threatening, so it can serve in street work as well as long as one remembers to anticipate shot more.
I consider the L85 to be a lovely and effective compliment to my GRD.
I would not hesitate to take it as sole camera on long trip esp if traveling light were my raison d'etre.
GRD and my Asus EEE PC or L85 and the same netbook are killer combination; Shoot all day, hie thee to Starbucks and upload to flickr.
Excellent and light package for long trips.
:)

Last edited:

naoip

Thks for the info Lili lovelyshot !!! I like your car shots,especially the ones with another scene in the rear view mirrors,but this one works really well too...

The b & w is really good,but like you said doesn't have the grd film/gritty look, but great all the same..

Lili

Thks for the info Lili lovelyshot !!! I like your car shots,especially the ones with another scene in the rear view mirrors,but this one works really well too...

The b & w is really good,but like you said doesn't have the grd film/gritty look, but great all the same..
Thanks naoip, the car/mirror shots are theme i like to explore