The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX7 Images

Maggie O

mazor

All these amazing images from the LX7. Makes me want to whip out my old LX3. Something amazing about that leica glass.

Howard

Mazor,

I have had the LX3 (now being used by my daughter), LX5 (sadly lost and never found) and now the LX7. I have had great photos from all three LX's. I am simply astounded from the quality of the photos that the LX7 produces. They do need a bit of PP but not much.

Howard

Maggie,

I hope that the following suggestions do not offend you. They are offered only for improving IQ when you are faced with conditions similar to what you faced when you took the last series of photos that you posted.

For the night shot of the building and moonrise , I suspect that you took the photo handheld at a relatively high ISO. While use a high ISO may work with a larger sensor camera with a fast lens, shooting at high ISO's is not a strength of the LX7. When I am faced with a static subject and a dim light situation, I either use a tripod or another means of stabilizing the LX7 and use the 2 second delay,I have found that taking night shots at ISO 80 results in high IQ photos and using a high ISO with the LX7 results lower IQ photos.

The LX7 is capable of extremely sharp closeup photos when the flower AF ring setting is used. The Amelia Pond photo and thermostat look soft and I feel it may due to using normal AF not the macro setting or taking the photo at too low a shutter speed. . Perhaps using macro focus may help.

In addition when I shoot dogs (and in your case when you shoot cats), I focus on their eyes. Sharp looking eyes make the entire photo appear sharp.

Keep posting and when you feel you have comment on any photos I post that could improve my technique, please post that suggestion.

Maggie O

I'm not offended at all but confused, because I'm not seeing the problems you're describing and I used the techniques you describe. In other words, the things that should be sharp are sharp to my eye and the IQ of the foggy night is just about spot-on.

T

techexplainer

You are both doing really well! Enjoyed seeing your images. I have had LX3, LX5 and as of today, a new LX7! I'm very happy to see how much you two love your cameras, and look forward to using mine.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks,
Charlie

PS - I have friends with Silver Efex, but your command of it is much greater maggie!

Howard

Charlie,

I am happy that you enjoyed Maggie's and my photos. When I saw some of Maggie's outstanding B&W photos, I bought Silver Efex and am learning how to use it.

I look forward to seeing you post some of your LX7 photos.

mazor

howard, I agree with maggie, I truely do not see the faults you were mentioning in post #50.

For the moon rise shot, I would not have done it any other way. The high ISO grain is actually quite a pleasure to look at, and gives texture to the light illuminating from the moon.

Of course tripod use can give high IQ shots, but it is not always convenient to have your camera attached to one. Some pics can be taken in the spur of the moment, rather than having every shot planned.

I examined the thermostat shot carefully, and found it is a very sharp in focus shot. I suspect the noise grain may be a distraction, and may appear soft like. Maybe what you are referring to is the "pop" factor. With higher ISO shots, the grain and color can affect the "3d" of an image.

Howard

I took another look at Maggie's photos again and they did look much better than I thought when I first viewed them. I was too harsh with my comments, but I do feel that they were not up to the same sharpness of other photos (LX7) posted by Maggie.

Maggie O

I'm OK with that. They are what they are- quickly grabbed snapshots. They wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the LX7's supreme portability.