The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX7 Images

Howard

Maggie,

I was going through the advanced LX7 manual and was wondering about how you achieve such beautiful B&W's. Are you shooting B&W JPG's directly from the camera than doing PP? Or are you shooting raw or JPG and converting to B&W when you PP? Or do you have another method that you are willing to share with me?

Maggie O

Thanks for the compliments, Howard!

I'm shooting RAW and doing my conversions in Aperture, using Silver Efex Pro 2 as a plug-in. I make liberal use of things like control points and sliders and will tweak just about anything that I think needs tweaking for any given image. That said, I've posted a couple of OOC B&W shots that I tweaked in Aperture, too.

I'll tell you what I told my students at MCAD, back in the days of 35mm film and darkrooms, and I think it still holds- black & white prints (or JPEGS) look best when there is actually some genuine black in them. You're paying for silver, so USE IT! ;) I think the smae goes for digital, only now we don't have to pay for silver, only pixels.

Howard

I purchased on the outstanding results that you get with Silver Efex Pro 2, I purchase a copy and am not going home to load it. Like you I take raw photos and cannot wait to see by B&W results when I become proficient in Silver Efex Pro 2. Thank you for sharing some of your techniques with me. I wonder whether the Silver Efex Pro 2 will work with my IR photos???

Howard

I am having difficulty getting Silver Efex Pro 2 working - I am hoping tech support will get back to me. I converted a few recent photos to B&W.

Howard

Maggie,
In my last post, I intended to, but failed to comment how much I liked your color photos. I like the colors, the composition, the expression on the models face. All the color photos were enjoyable to view.

Last edited: