The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX7 Images

Maggie O

maggie q love the product shots of the EM-5. tasty unit, is that yours?
Thanks! Yes, it's my camera and lenses and I am really enjoying shooting with it, even more than my M9 here lately. Check out the last four or five pages of the Fun with OM-D thread to see some of my stuff.

mazor

nice maggie q. With such an amazing small mirrorless setup, one has to wonder though why use a lx7 over an OM-D?

Novaron

I haven't been at these forums but am planning to be a bit more frequent participant. I picked up a LX-7 a little over a month ago and am pleased with it in shooting music in night club settings. Here are some images. I am pleased with the LX-7 although I have not been going to get prints yet.

Maggie O

nice maggie q. With such an amazing small mirrorless setup, one has to wonder though why use a lx7 over an OM-D?
The LX7 lives in my purse and is always with me! I've got a bad shoulder and the OM-D would be just a bit too much in my purse, which isn't that big.

Hi Guys - I've just made the decision to upgrade from LX5 to LX7. The low price at Adorama ($299) is just too good to pass up.

Do any of you use the LVF? I am hesitant to buy it right now. I have used an optical (old Russian) 35mm finder on the LX5 more than the LVF1. But, I really don't like shooting from an LCD.

I love shooting the LX5 at 35mm with hyperfocal and the optical finder for street photography.

I don't know if you all read my blog (DMC-365.blogspot.com), but you'll be seeing some LX7 shots there soon. I'll post some here as well. Looking forward to making the transition.

Reed
Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

Howard

Reed,
We will be looking to see your LX7 shots. As a former LX3 and LX5 user, I sure appreciate the enhancements made to the LX7 and hope that you will enjoy your LX7 as well.

I do not have the LVF2 yet. But every time I shoot in bright sun, I think about purchasing one. In fact, I was doing some price checking on the internet today and saw that BH Photo had it for $170, which at this time is a very competitive price. Earlier today I bid on a used LVF2, but decided not to bid any higher when I was overbid.

Hi Howard, Maggie O, and others. Well, my LX7 has arrived, and I'm starting to play. I wasn't too impressed with the jpegs coming out at default settings, so I spent some time optimizing - bottom line is that sharpening, and not NR, has the most effect on the amount of artifacts that I see in the jpegs.

I wrote about how I arrived at that conclusion here:

DMC-365 - Exploring the Interface Between Equipment and Creativity in Photography: Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 - Jpeg Settings

I normally shoot raw anyway, but wish I could tone down sharpening in iAuto at least.

Stay tuned - I hope to have lots more to share about my experience with the LX7!

Reed
Blog: DMC-365.blogspot.com

Howard

Reed,

Thanks for your input. Soon after I got my LX7 I saw a post where someone indicated their preferred LX7 settings and he recommended -1 for sharpness and I set it at that and never looked back. Your link seems to confirmed that results are better when sharpness is scaled back a bit. While this is no surprise as I increase the ISO, especially beyond 400, especially in dim light IQ deteriorates. Most of my best and sharpest photos are shot at base or low ISO's and that is where I find the LX7 really shines.

Keep us posted of what you find works best as I want to test it out to see it I can improve my results especially at higher ISO's.