The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

LX3 iso1600 BW

Rawfa

Rawfa

Thanks, Jonathan. I'm actually still trying to process the fact that the something as tiny as the LX3 can produce such wonderful results at iso 1600. I'm thousands of miles away from being a professional photographer but this type of quality is really mind blowing on my book. I think that the only thing that may make me drop the LX3 is if Olympus plays the right cards with the digital rangefinder they are working on.

N

nei1

It took me years to be able to print like that!As you have the files and know what you photographed is this effect losing the detail in the shadows or just printing down into them?

Last edited:

Rawfa

Come on now, guys. Now I'm starting to feel you're all just pulling the novice's leg :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Rafa:

I am totally serious. Not only do I like the "style" you present here, I am impressed by the tonality and clarity.

I am in the market for a second small digi-cam with longer focals to pair with my GRD2 which I love. Right now the possible contenders are the LX3, GX200 and maybe even the new G1...

Rawfa

Thanks for the kind words, Jack.
It's actually funny you should say you're on the market for an LX3 or a GX200 to keep your GRD2 company...'cause I'm in the market for either a GRD2 or a DP1 to keep my LX3 company...

W

wbrandsma

Seriously Rafael, but this is a great achievement. Not only by the camera, but also your achievement. My GX200 could never get this result at ISO 1600! The LX3 seems a fantastic camera in the hands of a competent photographer :thumbs: Well done!

Rawfa

Wow, thanks guys. This really means a lot for someone who is just starting like my self. I'll take this opportunity to say that since I've joined the forum I've been really inspired by the work I've seen here. There's some incredibly talented people in here and I'm learning a lot.

Rawfa

It took me years to be able to print like that!As you have the files and know what you photographed is this effect losing the detail in the shadows or just printing down into them?
Sorry, Neil. I'm not sure I understand your question...
The first 3 photos are straight out of the camera with no color correction. The only photo that I've touched was the 4th one (as mentioned on the post). Is this what you wanted to know?

ecliffordsmith

Hi Rafa,

Impressive, both the images themselves and the camera performance. As Jack pointed out the tones are very nice indeed.

I think my 'girlfriend' needs a new camera ...

D

David Paul Carr

The thing about high ISOs with these little cameras is not that you can, in certain situations, get good results. The issue is that they are very sensitive to light intensity and colour. Obtaining an acceptable file in daylight (or something approaching 5200°K) at, say, 1/60 @ f4 is much less of an exploit than getting a blotch-free image in 2400°K contrasty light using 1/4 @ f2. The LX3 has lots of qualities but you will still have your work cut out if you want to use it for low light reportage work.

Rawfa

Appreciated, fellas.
I think that the LX3 is awesome, but I also think that people who actually need to print a full size 10 megapixel photo won't be looking into cameras like this in the first place. For regular A4 prints you can have a ball though.
Oh, btw, my shutter speed on these photos was 1/160 and the aperture was f4 :)

lambert

These are some of the best 1600 B&W's I've seen from the LX3. Most images at high ISO show the dreaded worms.

Would you mind sharing your settings for CONTRAST, SHARPNESS and NR in Dynamic Mode?

Thanks,
Lambert

Ok, so here are some quick self portrait shots I've just taken. They were all shot at iso 1600 with the LX3's "dynamic bw" preset. The photos are straight out of the camera.

Larger version: http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_YZsPZHOyl...1SN3yxIjM/s1600-h/BW+Self+Portrait+3+BLOG.jpg

Larger version: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_YZsPZHOyl...TOurBw0D8/s1600-h/BW+Self+Portrait+2+BLOG.jpg

Larger version: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_YZsPZHOyl...uwJhZW0Cc/s1600-h/BW+Self+Portrait+1+BLOG.jpg