The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

FX150: Fun with wine & high ISO

kai.e.g.

I purchased a Panasonic FX150 for my wife a month ago and have had a chance to shoot with it several times. I'm not hugely partial to the user interface in Panasonic's cameras, but I was grateful for the full(-ish) manual controls, RAW output, and wide(-ish) 28mm f/2.8 starting focal length/aperture. It's stuffed to the gills with pixels - 14 point something million of them - but so be it. I liked it so much, I also bought a similar-sized FX37 for another relative. (The rest of the family thus taken care of camera-wise, I finally indulged myself today by ordering a GRD-II, guilt-free).

It might just have been all the wine, but I really had a lot of fun with the FX150 during a 3-day vino-tasting excursion to the Pedemonte region of Italy (famous for both wine and truffles); my wife had to remind me several times that it was her birthday present, not my latest gadget. Much of the time, we were in fairly dark cellars, and I slipped into higher ISO's with gay abandon.

This one was shot at ISO 400 but pushed up 3 exposure stops in lightroom:

"The Great Disappointment #1"

ISO 800:

"The Great Disappointment #2"

ISO 400, pushed up a stop:

"The Calculation"

ISO 1600:

"The Guinea Pig"

Cheers,
Kai

A

Alex66

The second photograph, the expression of the gent on the left superb, I feel you hit the right moment there.

Michael S

Seems to work, Kai.

The 2nd photo at iso 800 is actually very good -- expressions/gestures make for an enjoyable shot and it holds together surprisingly well at 800 on a compact.

kai.e.g.

Thank-you. Yes, I was surprised by the ISO 800 performance in the 2nd shot. Here the light was not so terrible (compared the light in #1)... but still on the dim side. Can you tell that the two men are father & son?

Lili

kai, great stuff, that second shot looks a still from a fellini film
lovely b&w, lovely bite to these images

Michael S

<< ...Can you tell that the two men are father & son? ... >>

Ah. The setting suggests the possibility of some relation. The facial similarities confirm it. And the age difference helps outline what the relationship is.

Have they seen this photo, by chance ? I bet they'd really like it.

kai.e.g.

I am going to send this (and a few others) along with a friend of mine who is returning to that winery in a few weeks time. This is a small wine-making dynasty. The guy standing (Angelo) is now in charge, and his son (not pictured) is also deeply involved, so the skill is passing down the generations. If you're interested, this is their website (not my photos!)... the "The Winery" tab on that page tells the hard-working history of the elder fellow in getting the place going.

http://www.cascinacarossa.com/home_eng.htm

pollobarca

Lovely pictures- but someone from Friuli going to Piemonte for wine...
:LOL:

they must be making good stuff in that winery!

rgds

paul

I am going to send this (and a few others) along with a friend of mine who is returning to that winery in a few weeks time. This is a small wine-making dynasty. The guy standing (Angelo) is now in charge, and his son (not pictured) is also deeply involved, so the skill is passing down the generations. If you're interested, this is their website (not my photos!)... the "The Winery" tab on that page tells the hard-working history of the elder fellow in getting the place going.

http://www.cascinacarossa.com/home_eng.htm

kai.e.g.

Lovely pictures- but someone from Friuli going to Piemonte for wine...
:LOL:
Yes indeed! Well, I'm a Barolo & Barbera fan :D The following week we were in the Collio DOC region of Friuli (for Tre Bicchiere tasting), but I had more fun in Piemonte by far!