The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia 808 images

mazor

Walking through the park, saw a wedding party, and happened to have my mobile phone in my hand.

Minor cropping done, off the 38mp image

click image twice to see more res

mazor

thanks Rawfa, you must be one of those "app" fans. The Nokia 808 excels in phone call quality of which no android phone with the exception of Sony's Xperia range as they have made phones alot longer than samsung, LG etc.

The Nokia 808 camera quality is so amazing, I dare say it can compete against the Panasonic LX7 for wide angle photography, and against my Sony Nex 5n, is certain circumstances it can out resolve it with ease. Even the Canon 5d mk3's 24MP cannot match the Nokia 808's amazing detail achieved from the 41MP sensor.

Thanks to the size of the Nokia sensor, the bokeh is quite pleasing, somthing no android phone can achieve. Also experience the Carl Zeiss precision sharpness!

Rawfa

Mazor, love the flour picture. You even have FOV :)
As for Android, I like it because I love messing around with the OS. If the Nokia 808 was at least a Windows Phone 8, but Belle and Symbian are really not for me.

mazor

good stuff Stefan, please keep shooting and posting more 808 imagery. I find myself not carrying around as many lens these days on my mirrorless, as I know I can depend on the 808 for most wide angle shots. instead I use valuable space in my bag for telephoto and portrait street lens.

Stefan Steib

The yellow toning is done in Photoshop CS6 Black and White+ toning.

I am using Camera Pro App where you can get the full 41,5 Mpix and set the image quality to low ISO,I normally reduce exposure 1/2 stop and full 100% JPG quality. That is pretty close to a raw, you can do a lot with this without the file falling apart.

I have several Zeiss lenses (and of course our Hartblei 40,80 and 120mm) for my Canon, but in this range (which equals about 25mm focal lenght) the 5 Lens aspheric N808 lens is better than my 24-85 Zeiss vario sonnar (N1- conurus converted) with Canon mount. And it is f 2,4 !

Regards
Stefan

mazor

agree with you all the way Stefan Steib, the nokia 808 truely is the cellphone camera that rivals bigger full frame DSLRs in good light. In more challenging situations, ie lower light, the 808 still comes into it's own in pureview 8mp mode and challenges the likes of the older APS-C DSLRs like the Canon 20D and 30D.

Took this with my Nokia 808 pureview on a clear night. Although there is alot of light interference from street lamps down the street, it still can take a remarkable picture. I would like to see any other cellphone that can take pictures like this.

mazor

another 808 shot I took a while back, the ships in the horizon are clearly noticable and have some detail, even though they are so far away

click and click to see full res

Stefan Steib

I have this clamp and a small gorilla pod for the Nokia, so I need to try this for some nightshots soon. I think it will gain a lot more sharpness and quality even at lowlight with a decent "tripod"....... :)

mazor

I have this clamp and a small gorilla pod for the Nokia, so I need to try this for some nightshots soon. I think it will gain a lot more sharpness and quality even at lowlight with a decent "tripod"....... :)
absolutely agree. I carry my "clamp attachment" for my 808 everywhere, attached to a small pocket sized tripod, just in case I need it. The effect of using a tripod, means, shots have to be planned a bit ahead of time, rather than just spontaneous shooting. Obviously for spontaneous shooting no tripod trade off for higher ISO shooting in pureview 8MP would be desirable.

With tripod, I tend to try to set ISO to the lowest setting 50 or 100, depending on the subject move rate, and and use full resolution 38MP, or dare I say if I am really keen 41MP in camera pro.

The use of 41MP will allow for that ultimate resolution on photos, plus, it allows me to crop into my favourite aspect ratio 6:4. 16:9 I find is only useful for wide angle style panorama crop ins, with 4:3 being somewhat acceptable. This is my personal preference coming from larger DSLRs, and mirrorless Sonys digicams.