The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nokia 808 images

scho

this camera just got better. Check out GSM arenas comparison charts, select the 808, and select the 1020. The lower noise higher detail, sharper image from the 808 is plainly clear, and this is not even comparing corners of the image

Photo Compare Tool - GSMArena.com
Agree, but a shame that this phone doesn't get more respect from review sites like DPR. I guess they tend to not be interested in anything that is not current.

mazor

Agree, but a shame that this phone doesn't get more respect from review sites like DPR. I guess they tend to not be interested in anything that is not current.
DPR did actually give 808 a good comparison, if you check out the old 808 review, and older comparison chart, the 808 was compared to standard digital cameras at different resolutions (8mp and full res) and at different ISO.

It was the first mobile handset I know of to be used to compare against dslrs, etc.

The 1020 does not get this glory, and instead gets put against the likes of the other smart phones like the Sony Z and the Samsung s4 etc

scho

DPR did actually give 808 a good comparison, if you check out the old 808 review, and older comparison chart, the 808 was compared to standard digital cameras at different resolutions (8mp and full res) and at different ISO.

It was the first mobile handset I know of to be used to compare against dslrs, etc.

The 1020 does not get this glory, and instead gets put against the likes of the other smart phones like the Sony Z and the Samsung s4 etc
I had to go to some older camera reviews to bring up the comparison chart and select the 808 as one of the cameras. I didn't find any direct comparisons in the 808 review with other cameras (non phone cameras).

mazor

I guess you have to do your own analysis from the comparison charts. For instance, you can put the 808 against the likes of the Canon 5d3, or the Nikon D800. Also there is alot of m43 cameras, and high end point and shooters you can put the 808 against.

DPR has to be careful not to tread on other dedicated digicam brands, so they really cannot compare smart phones to conventional cameras directly. It just would not look good if they published an article stating that a tiny 41MP cellphone camera can outresolve the likes of a Canon 5D3 full frame DSLR in ideal situations.

DPR is at least nice enough for pixel peepers like us to go in there and use their studio comparisons to make our own judgement call when comparing a mobile phone against a digicam.

scho

I guess you have to do your own analysis from the comparison charts. For instance, you can put the 808 against the likes of the Canon 5d3, or the Nikon D800. Also there is alot of m43 cameras, and high end point and shooters you can put the 808 against.

DPR has to be careful not to tread on other dedicated digicam brands, so they really cannot compare smart phones to conventional cameras directly. It just would not look good if they published an article stating that a tiny 41MP cellphone camera can outresolve the likes of a Canon 5D3 full frame DSLR in ideal situations.

DPR is at least nice enough for pixel peepers like us to go in there and use their studio comparisons to make our own judgement call when comparing a mobile phone against a digicam.
Agree, that was my thought as well. I've done enough of my own comparisons with cameras I've owned or currently use to reach the same conclusion. I feel very comfortable traveling with just the Nokia for both casual and some landscape shooting.

mazor

Here is a shot I just took yesterday, literally just applied USM to the image, no additional contrast or saturation added.

scho

Took the 808 and a small tripod for a walk through the gorge today. The builtin ND filter was very useful for waterfall shots.

mazor

lovely autumn colors Carl!! Also you got to love how the 808 does blue skys, it becomes even more blue when the ND filter in engaged

scho

lovely autumn colors Carl!! Also you got to love how the 808 does blue skys, it becomes even more blue when the ND filter in engaged
Thanks Jorgen and Mazor. Yes, blue skies are much nicer on the 808, vs 1020.

mazor

Carl love the natural greens coming through the image, and the autumn trees in the background. Autumn is such a lovely season.

mazor

An interesting tree trunk, whats left, captured with full resolution 808. Post process film simulation velvia 50 with warming filters. Click to experience resolution!

mazor

Heres another I tried film processing to Velvia 50 with extra warming filter to a standard pureview 8mp image.

Applied USM here!