The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HTC phone with Foveon like sensor

Rawfa

Today HTC will announce a phone that uses a similar technology similar to Foveons´ :

Rumor: HTC M7 to use stacked sensor with ultrapixels - GSMArena.com news
HTC to hold pre-MWC 2013 press conferences on February 19 - GSMArena.com news
Latest HTC One teasers tip superior camera, audio experience

There are also some rumors around about the possibility of adapting Canon lenses...which I find very very hard to believe. But Canon or no Canon, if this cell phone does a good implementation of a foveon like sensor it will be my next phone for sure!

mazor

rawfa, yes the 3 layers sensor I suspect is designed to allow for higher dynamic range, ie bottom sensors least sensitive for capturing highlights, and top sensors for shadow regions.

I still think the nokia 808 will beat it nicely. plus the 808 is closer to foveon with it's pure pixel tech, and no AA filter

Rawfa

It turns out they didn´t use 3 layers after all (which is a shame). They are simply using a 1/3 sensor with 2um pixels and a an f2.0 lens.

mazor

yes, have not seen good dynamic range like was speculated. Just look at this sample image. definately not very dynamic at all