The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 vs GRD2

4season

I've owned the DP1 for a few months and I agree that some of the controls aren't well thought-out: For example, you can view a histogram, but not "live". You can customize the zoom buttons, but cannot do EV+/- in this manner. And when manually focusing the camera, you can magnify the view, but it's a hassle to do so.

And yet, it takes great photos! I still like my Ricoh GX100 as a macro-camera and as a companion to my Leica M8, but when I can only carry one small camera, the camera I choose is often the DP1.

Sigma Photo Pro seems to add sharpening by default, but it's really not needed. Setting Sharpness to -.7 seems about right.

nostatic

I haven't shot the DP1, but did have a GRD2 for awhile, had a DLux3, and since replaced that with a DLux4. At first I had some purchase regrets on the DL4, but after shooting it for awhile I am incredibly impressed. In fact I may ditch my Pentax K20d because frankly the DL4 will give me a look that I prefer under some conditions. If only it had interchangable lenses.

The GRD2 is a great camera for what it is - a fixed 28. I have to admit that while I shoot primarily primes with my K20d, for some reason I find having some zoom very convenient on the DL4. Pocketability is much better with the GRD2 though, and I'm thinking that I might get one as an "always with me" cam since the prices seem to be dropping. Now what to do about a hi-rez replacement...