The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Silkypix default setting for LX3

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I'm starting this thread to collect peoples' experience with Silkypix. What default setting are you using in terms of lens correction, and sharpening and noise reduction at various ISOs? Do you prefer the sharpening tool, the unsharp mask feature in the output panel, or are you sharpening in another application?

Silkypix seems to give good results; many people swear by it. But it's actually driving me nuts to have to learn the interface for yet another large, complex piece of software. (I fortunately caught a typo in the title to this post before I posted it - I had written "Silkypox". Maybe there is a subconscious.)

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Now that there is a DNG converter out, I don't use
silkypox. It is not intuitive at all. Lightroom does a
great job on the files. Soon the normal converter
will be available from Adobe and it will be even better.

mazor

I use UFRAW. I think it uses the same engine as RawTherapee. Both have similar options, but UFRAW can be used to load up images straight into GIMP after converting from RAW

MAzor

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Now that there is a DNG converter out, I don't use
silkypox. It is not intuitive at all. Lightroom does a
great job on the files. Soon the normal converter
will be available from Adobe and it will be even better.
Streetshooter - I'm forever in you debt.

When you open an LX3 file in Silkypix there is significant CA - that's one of the reasons I started this thread. Somehow, when you convert with the DNG converter DNG eliminates it - presumably based in a recipe imbedded in the file. So not only is DNG much more convenient in that a lets me use my LR workflow, it produces better results. Samples below:

Silkypix:

View attachment 9975

DNG:

View attachment 9976

I also don't care for the look of the Silkypix noise reduction - another reason for starting this thread. Using LR puts me back on familiar ground in this respect.

Again, thanks.

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
No thanks needed, glad to help.
A few more things.....

There is a firmware update due out 12/15 for
the LX3.

Save your raw files as the new DNG converter
is also due soon. This will further enhance the
conversion and also make the files a more normal
size. I am told that it will not convert the DNG files from
the current version, only raw files.