The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A true story about friends...

rayyan

Rayyan: Just missed your posts and your storytelling for a while and now that story ...

Makes me speechless but, happy for now, that you're back!! I deeply wish you a very, very quick and complete recovery and - be strong and forget those cigarettes (I did about thirty years ago).

All the best to you and yours.
Hi Hermann..

Glad u stopped by. Cigarettes have been thrown away; but the taste and thought still lingers on..:eek:

I doubt I shall light one again, though. As my friend in the hosp said, we have done all we could..you are as good as new, heart wise.

Change of lifestyle is required, else Rayyan there won't be a next time.

Take care my friend.:salute:

rayyan

Incredibly moving and very personal story from a gifted mind.

To art, music, and mathematics, we can add medicine to the quest of one world united in peace and love.

Be well.

-Marc
Thanks a lot Marc. And what a wonderful world it can be..if only we tried a little more!

Warmest regards.:salute:

Irenaeus

Rayyan ~ we've never met, either in person or through my own offerings on this most personal of websites, but I've enjoyed your posts for years. Today, having finally just ordered an RX100, I immediately started looking for threads and posts about what to expect. I enjoyed your own on the Sony thread first of all, followed by those of many others. But then I migrated to Small Sensor Cameras and got what I definitely did NOT expect ~ the news of your recent life threatening crisis!

Your story, Rayan, is one of the most moving I have EVER read in a lifetime dedicated in no small part to reading! I am amazed. I still have tears. It's so profound ~ and that on so very many levels....

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have enriched my life.

I can hardly wait to share it with my wife, Ingrid, who is an RN who assists in just such heart surgery, and to find a way to share it with her surgeons, too. Your beautiful story will be wondered at and read again and again, I assure you!

Please express our admiration and thanksgiving to your colleagues and friends for all their skill and hard work and compassion, and please continue to do all that YOU can to keep your own heart sound, and healthy, and expressive ~ and open to the intake and expression of genuine love ~ remembering the children....remembering your inspiring soul mate....remembering that you, yourself, DO make a real difference!

And, for what it's worth, please know that there will be and are many prayers being made for you and your family and friends, including those from this inadequate orthodox christian in Montana.

Gratefully yours,

Thomas Turnbull
aka Irenaeus

Last edited:

jonoslack

Hi Hermann..

Glad u stopped by. Cigarettes have been thrown away; but the taste and thought still lingers on..:eek:
Hi There Rayyan
Here is me wishing you the fastest recovery . . . . as for the ciggies . . .
i was an expert at giving up (every few months for 20 years). Emma and I gave up together on April fool's day in 2004(?) and we haven't smoked since.

I read Allen Carr's book 'the easy way to give up smoking', which I found inspirational - basically it's about self respect.

Now, nearly 10 years later I still like the smell of smoke, but I'm never tempted, not even in restaurants in far off places where everyone is smoking. Sometimes I've been found standing a little close to someone who smokes:angel:

If you have the time, then it's an interesting read.

Whatever - get well, and let's have some more of those mountain shots as soon as possible.
all the best

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi There Rayyan
Here is me wishing you the fastest recovery . . . . get well, and let's have some more of those mountain shots as soon as possible.
all the best
I assume that with the revascularization and a few months to recover and training... you should give Ayesha some competition up the hills!

My professional life is anesthetizing cardiac patients...I have found that those who return early with graft closure are usually those who continue to smoke.
Enough said....

Rest, sleep well and dream of the mountains!

Best regards,

Bob

BenH

Rayyan, May your recovery be quick and complete. I always look forward to your images and the stories that often accompany them.

Best regards and welcome back!

Ben

rayyan

Hi There Rayyan
Here is me wishing you the fastest recovery . . . . as for the ciggies . . .
i was an expert at giving up (every few months for 20 years). Emma and I gave up together on April fool's day in 2004(?) and we haven't smoked since.

I read Allen Carr's book 'the easy way to give up smoking', which I found inspirational - basically it's about self respect.

Now, nearly 10 years later I still like the smell of smoke, but I'm never tempted, not even in restaurants in far off places where everyone is smoking. Sometimes I've been found standing a little close to someone who smokes:angel:

If you have the time, then it's an interesting read.

Whatever - get well, and let's have some more of those mountain shots as soon as possible.
all the best
Hi Jono.

I have asked my wife to click amazon for the book!!
I have not only to try to give up the ciggies...fair to say, it is a matter of life and death.:D

Best regards.

rayyan

I assume that with the revascularization and a few months to recover and training... you should give Ayesha some competition up the hills!

My professional life is anesthetizing cardiac patients...I have found that those who return early with graft closure are usually those who continue to smoke.
Enough said....

Rest, sleep well and dream of the mountains!

Best regards,

Bob
Bob, thank you for the well wishes.
Strange coincidence...let me narrate.

Robert and his wife are from NH. They came to Saudi a few years back. They love to play squash, and we ran into them years ago in a sports complex.

Today, we are close family friends. Ayesha visits them/family in the States whenever she is there. I have not crossed the Atlantic for sometime now..I can"t swim!!

Anyway, Robert is in the same profession as you. He came in Monday 24/03/2013, at around 0600. With 2 of his assistants. He was leading a team of 7 people for my surgery. He smiled at me, ' scared, he asked ' holding my hand.

Before I could reply, he said..' Promise you, you shall just feel a pinch '.
0700 hrs, they wheeled me in. Bob was there. Introduced me to 7 people spread around. ' And Abdullah here is tasked to keep you alive for 2 hours with his gadgets!! '. ' Ready ?'. Ali and Faisal walked in with space suits, like the others.
Faisal said something to me in Arabic. Ali laughed. I prayed.
Bob held my hand..time to sleep Rayyan.

I woke up in the ICU.

Best.

rayyan

Rayyan ~ we've never met, either in person or through my own offerings on this most personal of websites, but I've enjoyed your posts for years. Today, having finally just ordered an RX100, I immediately started looking for threads and posts about what to expect. I enjoyed your own on the Sony thread first of all, followed by those of many others. But then I migrated to Small Sensor Cameras and got what I definitely did NOT expect ~ the news of your recent life threatening crisis!

Your story, Rayan, is one of the most moving I have EVER read in a lifetime dedicated in no small part to reading! I am amazed. I still have tears. It's so profound ~ and that on so very many levels....

Thank you, thank you, thank you! You have enriched my life.

I can hardly wait to share it with my wife, Ingrid, who is an RN who assists in just such heart surgery, and to find a way to share it with her surgeons, too. Your beautiful story will be wondered at and read again and again, I assure you!

Please express our admiration and thanksgiving to your colleagues and friends for all their skill and hard work and compassion, and please continue to do all that YOU can to keep your own heart sound, and healthy, and expressive ~ and open to the intake and expression of genuine love ~ remembering the children....remembering your inspiring soul mate....remembering that you, yourself, DO make a real difference!

And, for what it's worth, please know that there will be and are many prayers being made for you and your family and friends, including those from this inadequate orthodox christian in Montana.

Gratefully yours,

Thomas Turnbull
aka Irenaeus
Thomas, after reading your post, I find myself at a loss for words...not happens that often according to my wife!

Two things, though, my friend.

The first one...Our Lord's House...Your Lord and mine and everyone elses's...does not have reservation signs. It has many doors and all are welcome. The sign, if any, would read ' All are welcome. And all are equal '.
So Thomas, it is your prayers and those of others that made it easy for me. Thank you so so very much.

The second thought, I have. Let me weave a story, cheesy maybe, around it.

Bob, the anaesthesia consultant and a family friend from NH, looked at me in the OR, held my hand, smiled and said..Rayyan you shall just feel a pinch.

I felt the pinch. The OR was cold. A tunnel without directions. Dark, cold, unwelcoming. I am hurtling through it. I am scared. Real scared. I want to hold on to something but find a grasp. Falling. Weird shapes, colors from darkness surround me. I am afraid of death. This is the end. Strange patterns, I have never encountered before flash before my eyes. Fire. Flames. Evil visions. Pessimism. Are these my thoughts that I never had? Breathing is difficult, Darkness. I cry. Who shall hear me in this darkness. I need help. I need someone to help this feeble soul. I fall faster. Fall? But there is no down.

Sounds, voices...distorted, incoherent, frightening. I need help. No help in the darkest recesses of this pit of despair with no hope.

Then...a sound. I must be nearing the end. A sound. Not like the others. Soft, but reassuring. Soft but masking all others..

' Are you the traveler? ' a question, but I feel the answer is already known by the Voice.

' Yes ', clinging to hope. Praying for deliverance, help, comfort.

' Who comes with you to help you through this journey. Who shall guide you through this darkness? What help do you have with you Rayyan? '

Without hesitation, I remember replying..' You, my Lord '.

The rest is history...happened 2 weeks ago.

Take care, stay well.

JBurnett

Wow. I am so glad to have wandered here, outside of my usual forum haunt. As others have said, your story is wonderfully moving and inspirational.

Be well, Rayyan. Now it's time to work with the rehabilitation team. Even though I can be disciplined (and stubborn) I don't think I would have recovered nearly so well or so quickly without their help. It's been two years since my quadruple bypass and I feel great!

Best regards,

John.

rayyan

Rayyan, May your recovery be quick and complete. I always look forward to your images and the stories that often accompany them.

Best regards and welcome back!

Ben
Ben, grateful for your wishes. :salute:
I have always appreciated the encouragement your comments have provide me.

My best wishes and kindest regards to you and yours.

rayyan

Wow. I am so glad to have wandered here, outside of my usual forum haunt. As others have said, your story is wonderfully moving and inspirational.

Be well, Rayyan. Now it's time to work with the rehabilitation team. Even though I can be disciplined (and stubborn) I don't think I would have recovered nearly so well or so quickly without their help. It's been two years since my quadruple bypass and I feel great!

Best regards,

John.
John, thank you for your well wishes.
It is always a wonderful feeling to be amongst friends.

Kindest regards.