The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

DP1 awesome

Rawfa

I've just spent the morning with my recently purchased DP1 and I'm blown away by the image quality of this camera. My only wish is that it would be a bit faster and more low light friendly...other than that this camera bust a*s! Here are some photos take with JPG:

Largerd versions at http://pict-u-resk.blogspot.com/

W

wbrandsma

Excellent Rafael! The DP1 simply amazes me. I tried only once last July and since then I am still fascinated by the camera.

You should take the DP1 to China too, together with the LX3. Have a great trip!

Rawfa

Many thanks, Wouter. A compliment from someone of your caliber has always a special meaning :) I'm actually so impressed with the DP1 that I might just end up keeping it after all!

Last edited:
W

wbrandsma

Good for you and thank you. Maybe I look for a DP1 next year, when the prices go below 400 Euro :D

W

wbrandsma

369 pounds = 395.6418 EUR today!
Ouch, that is incredible. Who knows Will. I think I need to sell some more prints and the DP1 could be in the bag. But very tempting indeed.

kweide

Rawfa please,

tell us something about the real speed of the DP1 compared to GRD.
How slow is the DP1 ?? While focussing, during writetime ? Is it blocked between two shots ?? Does it have a SNAP mode, a hypefocal mode, a timer ?? All this interesting stuff...

Rawfa

Kweide, I can really see how this camera is not for everyone. But I look at it like when you're shooting with a DSLR and you have to choose between different types of lenses. With daylight (even dim day light) this camera will produce images that are simply breathtaking. It has a very unique organic feel to it that I haven't seen in any other camera. Now try shooting with low light and that's a whole different story. The autofocus WILL struggle and sometimes it will even miss. But like I said before, it's like when you're shooting with a DLSR having a lens that is amazing for daylight but not fast enough for night shooting. So far I'm ok with all of this...now lets talk about what I really consider to be the DP1's true limitation...it does "freeze" between shots for about 3 to 4 seconds, which depending on the type of pictures you take can be a problem. Personally, taking in consideration the incredible quality of the images it produces I can live with this trade off.

Last edited:

Rawfa

Oh, I forgot to say that for those who enjoy shooting plain and than going crazy on Photoshop they will be in for a treat. Even the jpegs can really take more pounding than any other compact I've tried (this includes the LX3). For those who like large prints I would also be inclined to say that a full resolution print would look great (full crops look awesome).

P.S - I haven't started with photography long and I don't even think I would qualify for amateur level yet...so don't take my word for it and go try a DP1 your selves if you can rent/buy one.

Last edited:

helenhill

For all the Digital Cameras I bought and Sold this past year (Dlux3,Grd ,Grd2, Digilux 2, RD1s)

The DP1 is the ONE I truly Missed /even though at Times
I could have pulled my hair out....

If the DP2 comes out this February I will Definately Buy /Love the 40mm 2.8 aspect
but if we have a Long Wait I will rebuy the DP1
The Foeven Sensor is Magic

Best to All ;) Helen

Last edited:

Rawfa

When I read about the DP2 I was very happy because I thought it would a an improved DP1 (speed, aperture, etc)...but I was sad to discover it would be 40mm. Since I shoot landscape that is not going to do it for me...

MisiekBunnik

Ouch, that is incredible. Who knows Will. I think I need to sell some more prints and the DP1 could be in the bag. But very tempting indeed.
Wouter, if i send you 10euro's now to drop the purchase price even further, will we go out to take photographs with OUR dp1's next week? :)

I know you want it!

W

wbrandsma

:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL: Something like the DP1 will come Ronald. But I know you still want to try the GX200! :D

Streetshooter

Subscriber Member
Well Simon,
Theres a presence in that image that could sell that
camera.....In fact I just ordered one.

Thanks for posting....

Rafa...can't wait till the 5th....
Mummers Parade is the 1st.....