The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The International, Intergalatic Ricoh GR Thread

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
...(very nice!) welcome to the Club Keith, (and Maggie)...allthough its calling for very different things...it's calling. Dont know the small Nikons nor Canons, but having all buttoms in reach of your right thumb (while putting glasses on with the left), with both ability to sharp, tasty colourful and ...not the least...moving picture in snap-mode and all in that complicated simple way...it's calling upon one in that special M6-way
Thorkil
Hi Thorkil - I didn't make my point very well. I was somewhat gob smacked being able to pick up mirrorless cams from Canon and Nikon at 70% off initial list price. Comparing that against the GR which has so much demand that it takes 3 months to get to Canada. I don't think somehow we will see the GR discounted to those levels in it's lifetime.
After using the two big brands I can see why people are not so taken with them - against the Ricoh user interface the V1 and the EOS are pitiful.
The surprise for me is the Nikon V1 image quality, which for a 1inch sensor is remarkable.
I kept my GRDlV as my bigest adjustment is the depth of field difference to the GR - I think I'm more comfortable with the small sensor, but time will tell.
Meanwhile I'm experimenting using Don's presets for landscapes . . .

Keith

Ricoh GR

Thorkil

Hi Keith....ha, ha....all those lovely cameras....
nice Picture!
I still have this silly idea, that we all ought to make a Worldwide Club "One man...one camera" and a membership wasn't a voluntary thing, you should be born into it, born or not.
and we had to sell all the others (but who would buy while they all were in the same Club)
But I think it would be the GR while its able for me to use both at work and in sparetime (just have to have that 21mm adapter then), perhaps we could be just as happy and perhaps we would be taking a lot more Pictures just as we did when we started as youngsters, with one camera and one lens, or what?...while it would sort of push us to the edge, and we would be forced to master this solely tool
(meanwhile I bought a K30, then a K5II (there was 3 days of delivery-time on the K5IIs..thats how impatiently I can be) and then the GXR A16 module, and now thinking of a Nikon D600 + the 14-24 once more + a Sigma 35/1.4......please... would someone please get that Club started as soon as possible.....
Don't know if I ever will use the IV any more, but I keep it, together with the analog stuff that I wouldn't ever use either...
:shocked:
would like to use Don's presets to, but I gave up on Lightroom while it took more than 30 min. to figure it out, and I didn't (and Don need the support right now I think.....by the way..you all have to try his "Inspired eye" for a Whole year to support him!, it does only cost 19.95 $.....and its very, very, very good indeed)
Thorkil
(don’t know if this was a proper answer, Keith :)

Thorkil

ps, Keith...yes, you will keep the IV....but it will be the GR you'll be using (I guess because the files are extra powerfull and there are another aura around it, not as simple and lovely man-gun-way (allthough complicated), but perhaps this was too primitive anyway, first you have been using the GR. The GR is more sophisticated and "up to the modern task" (which in my view isn't a compliment, but you will get used to this...perhaps more man-cat-way than man-dog-way, so in the mental area the GR will reach the IV by 90% in this frienly-connection mind-hand-camera department)
thorkil

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
I think that your early shots with your GRIV were unique to that camera, Thorkil, and they inspired me to explore that direction. This one is from the GR and although I would say it is a GRlV "style" of image, I could only do it with the GR because of depth of focus.
Glad you got the A16 - I love that camera. With each module the GXR becomes a different camera.
That club of yours will never exist. Get ready for the next GXR, which I bet will be here soon.
Fun to be a photographer these days!

Keith

Thorkil

...:) yes that GRDIV could do something (and thank you!) when bringing it out on the outmost edge in the dark side of the twilight. That, one can't do in the same way with the GR and the look is different....
hhmm...yes, better keep the IV.
Only took 2 pictures in san zeno with the A16, but will take a look at them.
Very nice Picture, and different from the look from the IV, shallow dof or not, but different in a nice way (perhaps more refined?)
Thorkil